General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Good move.  Takes the sting off a typical 1st day frustrating start of FA. 

Let’s see if they can’t add another Long term piece to build instead of replace. 

I’d rather have this move than franchise tag. 

Bengals get an extra year vs Lawson deal.  It will be interesting to compare but $32m as reported suggests higher guaranteed amount vs Lawson. 

13 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. This is losing Housh and throwing his offer at Laverneus Coles all over again. Lateral move at best.

Eh. Hendrickson is way better than Coles was. At least they have made an effort to replace Lawson w/ someone who is the same neighborhood of production. And I like his age. But they need more on the line w/ him. And the o-line issue remains GLARING. 

Lawson was pretty healthy last year.  But there is a pretty decent possibility he gets injured again.  Maybe Hendrickson will turn out to be the better choice, one never knows.  

as stated by Mem, just treading water.  We need o-line help.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

Eh. Hendrickson is way better than Coles was. At least they have made an effort to replace Lawson w/ someone who is the same neighborhood of production. And I like his age. But they need more on the line w/ him. And the o-line issue remains GLARING. 

I’m not addressing the relative quality of the players, just the “oh crap we’re screwed switch to plan B!” nature of the moves. Hopefully this works out better. But settling for the second choice yet again is annoying.

3 minutes ago, COB said:

Lawson was pretty healthy last year.  But there is a pretty decent possibility he gets injured again.  Maybe Hendrickson will turn out to be the better choice, one never knows.  

as stated by Mem, just treading water.  We need o-line help.

Their big moves always get injured.  

This is probably their best outside FA signing ever considering he’s coming off First Team All Pro.....Henderson found dead with pile of coke.  

12 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Their big moves always get injured.  

This is probably their best outside FA signing ever considering he’s coming off First Team All Pro.....Henderson found dead with pile of coke.  

Oh yeah. I already have him pencilled in on IR along with our first rounder. Happens every damn year.

51 minutes ago, membengal said:

Treading water at Edge is at least better than drowning. I really REALLY want to see o-line addressed. Tomorrow. Forcefully. 

who is there to get? 

Trai Turner, whose team didnt even try to pursue him when their other actions tonight indicated extreme desire to protect the qb? 

I think the Chargers inaction on Trai tells me he's basically done

Trent Williams, who wants qb money?

My last hope rests on a trade for Havenstein

Actual significant improvement on the OL is now all about the draft. I’m sure they’ll sign some FA OL eventually, but it’s a (best) case of going from dumpster fire to dumpster...not on fire there. Which is a positive step, but it will be the new kids who will have to make a difference. In other words, we’re back to wishin’ hopin’ & prayin’ on that front.

Imho, FA now is more about finding a decent vet corner to replace WJ3 and a good vet WR to fill AJ’s roster spot. The latter seems doable, the former, we’ll see. Interior DL would be nice but pickings seem slim now. Really they just need to find some players so they have options in the draft after 5 which now must be OT. 

• Like 1

My only gripe with Hendrickson is that I don't like spending that much at the position. I honestly don't care much about losing Lawson and thought he was overrated by a fanbase that simply isn't used to half-competent defense anymore. Hendrickson had 13.5 sacks in 2020, which matches the Bengals' franchise single season record (Dunlap in 2015 and Edwards in 1983), Coy Bacon's unofficial monster year aside.

Get a capable MFing offensive lineman and who gives a crap otherwise.

10 hours ago, TJJackson said:

who is there to get? 

Trai Turner, whose team didnt even try to pursue him when their other actions tonight indicated extreme desire to protect the qb? 

I think the Chargers inaction on Trai tells me he's basically done

Trent Williams, who wants qb money?

My last hope rests on a trade for Havenstein

Gabe Jackson is an upgrade. Turner is an upgrade -he's just 27 coming off of one bad year - he's an upgrade. Riley Reiff is an upgrade. Your guy Ifedi. Maybe Kelvin Beachum. Austin Blythe. Kyle Long. Larry Warford. Rick Wagner.  Bobbie Massie.  Russell Okung. There's help there. 

I'm not sure who the Bengals sign or don't from this point on.  But it's a WRONG narrative that there isn't upgrades in FA for OL right now.     Sure that can change in a matter of moments on Day 2 of FA.

They don't have Carl Lawson's on the line.  They have trash.   Its not a treading water situation.