General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Players that would upgrade the line right away still available:

C-Rodney Hudson

G-Austin Blythe, Gabe Jackson, Larry Warford, Brian Winters, Turner

T-Wagner, Massie, Rieff, Remmers, Schwartz   Havenstein (trade)

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

Players that would upgrade the line right away still available:

C-Rodney Hudson

with it understood that this is actually an OC AND an ORG upgrade, because Hopkins (when he's good to go) would shift to ORG where he played even better than he did at OC

which in turn is why this is my most wanted signing right now

So on another front - our much beloved (not) Defensive Coordinator now has his players - players drafted under his time here or brought in via FA during his time here - starting at virtually every position on the defense

NO FUCKING EXCUSES WILL REMAIN

the one good thing I expect to happen as a result of the 2021 season is Anarumo's worthless ass gets canned immediately thereafter

then the next guy - that poor bastard - has the task of getting us back from a 3-4 zone defense to a 4-3 man-press defense while still stuck with 3-4 zone defense players under contract

26 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

not that I am aware of...and he was released a week ago

Jackson has actually not been released yet. From a story on a Hudson today:

The Raiders are completely revamping their offensive line that was one of the most expensive in the league. The team has agreed to trade right tackle Trent Brown to New England in a deal that will be finalized Wednesday and cut left guard Richie Incognito. Right guard Gabe Jackson is also expected to be cut but that move hasn’t happened yet.

https://www.thespec.com/ts/sports/football/2021/03/16/ap-source-raiders-releasing-star-c-rodney-hudson.html

Hmm.

I thought so as well when considering Mem's question, so I checked and read he'd been released a week ago.

Lemme see if I can find it...here it is: https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/03/raiders-chargers-gabe-jackson-released-target/

I think you're right though.....my best recollection was that he had not yet been released 

I think the article I found is wrong

WJ III to the WFT --- $14 million per.   The Bengals got Azuwie and Hilton for a combined $13 million per.  

Glad for WJ III. He will thrive behind that pass rush.  But also, glad the Bengals went the route they did, frankly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Hmm.

I thought so as well when considering Mem's question, so I checked and read he'd been released a week ago.

Lemme see if I can find it...here it is: https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/03/raiders-chargers-gabe-jackson-released-target/

I think you're right though.....my best recollection was that he had not yet been released 

I think the article I found is wrong

No biggie, I thought he was available too. It was just this afternoon when the Hudson cut made news I started seeing the he was still with the team.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

WJ III to the WFT --- $14 million per.   The Bengals got Azuwie and Hilton for a combined $13 million per.  

Glad for WJ III. He will thrive behind that pass rush.  But also, glad the Bengals went the route they did, frankly. 

Always liked him, wish him well. I think Goodberry was right that he’s a better man coverage guy than either of the two we signed, but they may fit Lou’s zone scheme better. I suppose we’ll find out.

23 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

They're not just going to stand pat with the o-line, I mean they are bad, but not that bad, right?  The odd thing is I'd expect them to draft an OT vs sign one,  so the Williams thing is weird.   Wonder if Burrow talked them into Chase already.  :/

The Williams thing, assuming it’s true, was probably just them doing their due diligence. I expect them to sign some OL who will be an improvement, in the same way a good solid turd is an improvement over diarrhea. And Pollack should help a lot, especially if he does something about their stubborn insistence on trying to make Michael Johnson a thing. But any real infusion of serious talent will come in the draft. 

Speaking of funny money, I’m betting this has plenty:

Trent Williams and the San Francisco 49ers have reached a six-year, $138.06 million deal that will make him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history, his agency announced Wednesday morning.

The deal has $55.1 million in guaranteed money, Williams' agency Elite Loyalty Sports tweeted. The contract also includes a $30.1 million signing bonus, sources told ESPN's Dianna Russini.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31079661/san-francisco-49ers-trent-williams-agree-deal-making-highest-paid-ol-nfl-history

55 guaranteed is low given the overall size of the deal. You’d expect more around 70. I suspect it’s something like the earlier 80m deal that was reported with around 60m added into two final years he will never see (he’d be 38 and 39 in those two years, lol). But his agent gets to brag so...

Trent Williams was great last year, and that was after he took a year off.  Once they sign a new tv deal, his contract won’t seem that bad.

The Bengals could learn something from it.  Throw a bone to the agent with some inflated numbers that’ll only show up if turns out to be immortal, get your guy at a decent actual rate.

• Like 1