General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

I'm all good with them dumping money into the o-line at this point.  They've spent so many years letting people walk away, that it's just time.
If they are going to take Burrow (which appears to be the case) you have to protect him.  Get a RT worth a shit and go from there.

What I still am unsure of is if they intend on going after LB in free agency, who are they targeting ??  There doesn't appear to be much out there that would fall into the impact category.
A bunch of filler types, older guys, or guys that don't fit a 4-3 scheme.  It's the reason LB is my choice for the top pick in the 2nd round depending on who's still there.

I remember last year being on board with bringing Darron Lee over from the Jets, but he went to KC.  That being said, he played mostly special teams for them.
Not sure there is much more than that out there.

• Like 1

It simply depends on how they approach free agency. Get a RT like Conklin and they are in business. That O-line becomes a strength quick and an interior guy can be found in the 3rd or 4th.

They simply can’t go into the season without a MAJOR upgrade to what has been the worst LB corps for the past two seasons. 5th rounders won’t change that.

If they do nothing in free agency, I’m more aligned with your thought TJ. I simply want it addressed with proven players in free agency.

• Like 1

Lineman appear to be deeper in Free Agency this year.   It also seems like a deep draft class too.    Although they had the fluff pieces about their young OL prospects.

I would love the likes of Johnson, Williams, Price and Jordan to be the foundation of an emerging line.   But I can't trust it.  The past three years Training Camp opens and shortly after we are treated with reports of the o-line being dominated.  

So it will be interesting to see what they do there.    I'm guessing nothing.

Defense - is an enigma.    You have big names on the D-line.  IMO, they rush the passer good.   They play the run like shit.     Then you have bad LBs.  

I just think the part of the defense that's responsible for clogging lanes, pursuit, underneath coverage, and tackling isn't worth a shit.   When you factor in substitutions etc. there's probably 6/7 players that could go from each level of the defense.   There's not an impact player in that aspect.    Sure if you want to get after a QB or shorten throwing windows on the outside, I think they have players that excel at that. 

They got gashed badly by Lamar Jackson and several other RBs.   D-line wasn't getting off blocks and/or clogging lanes.   There was no pursuit and when they did get there the guy withstood several tacking attempts.   It was ugly.

• Like 1

I need three things to be happy in FA, in no particular order of importance:

1. a starting quality COVER linebacker. allow me to once again emphasize the word "cover". The guy needs to have good coverage skills, ok? Yeah.

2. a starting quality ORT. For sake of clarity, no, Bobby is not a starting quality ORT, he's just PAID like he is one

3. If (I repeat if) we lose one of our three top DBs, a starting quality replacement DB

If the plan is to trade away Dalton, we ALSO need a veteran FA QB who is willing and able to potentialy start initially, accept the backup role ongoing as soon as Burrow is deemed ready, and enthusiastically tutor Burrow. On the cheap, preferably. This is a set of specs that is kinda hard to find.....which is why I think they'll keep Dalton til Burrow is groomed. Even tho that wont qualify as cheap, they can trade or release Dalton at any time with little (or is it no?) dead money. Best case scenario: Joe is ready to start by this year's trade deadline, and a team with playoff aspirations has lost their starter by then as well. Suddenly Dalton is worth a late first round pick, maybe even a 1st and a 4th. BOOM! Profit.

Ogletree would be a major upgrade in the coverage of this LB core.    Guys that play a lot in the nickel are going to get more opportunities to fail in coverage thus become to be viewed as a "liability".   It's a thankless job.     He had a big cap number and isn't a LBer that sacks the QB.  That's the story here.   

He's had 6 Ints the past 2 seasons (5 in 1 year).   I think that would lead the entire Bengals defense, I think. 

You plug him in there.   Team's are going to throw underneath and he'll shrink throwing windows and tackle better than anyone we have currently.   Yes, yardage will be gained by the offense because the rules favor the offense.  

Bears contacted Bengals' about Dalton.  Am guessing they'll want the Bengals' to pay a portion of his salary, of course that should depend on the return, which likely isn't going to be much from anyone paying for a $17.5 mil back-up or "candidate" for starting QB (that they can likely also just cut without penalty if they choose).

I think it's about the Bengals' just finding the right spot for him, or releasing him when/if he asks them to after the draft.  I'm betting on a release to FA at this point.

Take care of Dalton and help him get somewhere he wants ?? OK I’m good with that. Let him walk away because that team didn’t want to give up anything ?? NO, not ok with that at all.

As much as I may like Dalton, we don’t owe him THAT. Trade him to whomever is willing to give up anything. Better a late round pick than nothing.

Bag him all someone may want, he’s still a very capable QB and is worth a pick at the minimum. 17 million for a potential starter ?? Yeah that’s cheap.

There are currently 15 QB’s in 2020 that will make more than Dalton. Of those, at least 5 should either be out of the league or backups.

Many of those below him in salary will be jumping him come free agency and most others are on their rookie contract. If someone thinks some of these QB’s flooding the market will be cheaper than Dalton, they are crazy.

Maybe I’m wrong, such is life, but if I’m a team looking for a one year patch or even above average backup, There are worse options than Dalton and his salary.

We will see... should be interesting...

I think Dalton will get traded for multiple picks.   He his a perfect candidate for a fringe playoff contending team.   HIs 1 year is very workable.   That allows a team to bring him in and work with an existing young QB and/or allow them to draft one. 

If I'm the Colts,  I'm jumping all over him.     I think he's a better option that Brisset or Rivers at this point.      With that line they have Dalton's performance will jump up tremendously, IMO.