General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed Wednesday to a salary cap of $182.5 million per team for 2021, a long-anticipated 8% decrease from last season, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31037926/sources-nfl-cap-1825m-8-percent

I’ll never ignore age and wear and tear.  Guys do break down and ignoring it based on an anomaly like Whit is asking for trouble.  

Swirled?  That’s what auto-correct changed Zeitler’s name to when I slapped a question mark on it.  

Will Zeitler take a 2 or 3 year deal?  If he will, it’s going to be competitive to sign him.  We’ve got the cap space, come on Bengals!  

(not to inject too much hope here, but bringing one-time Bengals back for a second go-around is very much a Brown family thing to do.)

On Zeitler:  I wonder how good the relationship is with the Bengals?  From what I can remember they basically broke off extension talks early September because it was obvious the Zeitler camp wanted to be among the highest paid.  Bengals at one point had value on him 6-8m a year IF I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, COB said:

Will Zeitler take a 2 or 3 year deal?  If he will, it’s going to be competitive to sign him.  We’ve got the cap space, come on Bengals!  

(not to inject too much hope here, but bringing one-time Bengals back for a second go-around is very much a Brown family thing to do.)

The G market is FLOODED. Yes, he will take a 2-3 year deal.

Again, he left here with no ill-will on either side. 

the key issue with Zeitler is that there was a considerable drop in his quality of play in 2020 compared to prior years

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/kevin-zeitler/7032?season=2017

The previous three years he had ratings in the low to mid 70s

For 2020, his PFF rating was 65.9

This still makes him an upgrade over what we have now, BUT not a huge one.....and more significantly, it says to me that yes, Father Time has already started taking his toll

One good thing is that he didnt miss any time with injuries in 2020....he started all 16 games

so I think he can be a stopgap for 1 year......2 years would imo be a HUGE risk.......in 2022 he might well be a shell of his former self

I think most players are looking for 1 year contracts in this lower-capped year anyway

a 2 year deal would be OK if the contract is structured in such a way that the pay is commensurate with expectations that his play will be at a lower level.....probably at about the level we got from Spain this past year, which wasnt bad but wasnt great

My expectations for Zeitler would we'd be getting - at this point in his career - an average to slightly better than average player.  I can certainly live with that, as long as he is paid as such

Bengals protection improved last year.   Burrow gets hurt and its a fire drill.

Zeitler got paid and in exchange went from a great o-line and vet Dalton to bad/young QBs and bad RTs with Browns and Giants.

PFF only goes so far.  I'm willing to bet he's a major upgrade over Redmond or who ever.  Heck Spain was an upgrade the first week he showed up at RG.    Get a competent RT next to him and it multiplies.

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

The message board software allows someone to specifically open a single post from a blocked forum member

I have Amphar blocked, but I decided to take a peek at the post above

What I saw 101% reaffirmed my choice to have him blocked

See I would have been 102% affirmed, but that's just me.