Official Bengals Free Agent Thread

membengal

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in Arizona I've watched Lutui's performance. He's pretty solid, but nothing spectacular.

Sounds great! (Comparatively speaking)

My only question, isn't he a RG? Can he play LG?

Lutui aside, Is playing on the left side or right side of the line really a problem for a professional player?

C'mon... as an aircraft technician I don't tell my boss I can only fix the left side of an aircraft. Why? Because they're both the SAME.

If NFL linemen can't switch sides of the line, they're incredibly stupid and have no business in the game.

Living in Arizona I've watched Lutui's performance. He's pretty solid, but nothing spectacular.

Better then Livings come on now LOL LOL

I really wasn't making a comparison between the two, but yeah... I think Lutui would be better.

If NFL linemen can't switch sides of the line, they're incredibly stupid and have no business in the game.

Respectfully disagree. They are different roles. RG is usually primarily a run blocking position. LG is more important in pass blocking as he is on the QBs blindside. Also, LGs tend to pull traps a lot more often, so agility is more important.

Respectfully disagree. They are different roles. RG is usually primarily a run blocking position. LG is more important in pass blocking as he is on the QBs blindside.

What if the QB is left handed as Boomer was? Do they switch sides then? All I'm saying as I don't see playing lineman as that difficult a position. All in all it's about blocking and if you're so one dimensional in a non skill position in a professional sport, you're not going to last long.

Reedy tossed out a few tidbits in a twitter Q&A session tonight

- Bengals are still talking to Benson and Fanene. Benson negotiations are "slow."

- Doesn't sound like there's interest in bringing back Nduke. Ditto Kelley, Dhani, Roy Williams.

- Madieu "doesn't want to come back" so I guess the Bengals or Joe called him.

- Re whether there's a salary floor this year, he's heard about four different answers

- Sims is on PUP because of lingering knee issues from last season.

Reedy tossed out a few tidbits in a twitter Q&A session tonight

- Bengals are still talking to Benson and Fanene. Benson negotiations are "slow."

- Doesn't sound like there's interest in bringing back Nduke. Ditto Kelley, Dhani, Roy Williams.

- Madieu "doesn't want to come back" so I guess the Bengals or Joe called him.

- Re whether there's a salary floor this year, he's heard about four different answers

- Sims is on PUP because of lingering knee issues from last season.

Looks like the rebuilding is going hard core.

What if the QB is left handed as Boomer was? Do they switch sides then?

No, they don't "switch sides" but think back to the 49ers in the 90's with Steve Young. It wasn't the LT that was the 2nd most important player... but the RT. So yes... in a sense, the players on the QB's blindside are more important (at least in terms of pass blocking).

And I'm not an NFL coach... but I know what I've seen, and LGs tend to be far more agile than RGs are a rule. LGs are asked to pull and run block to the right side FAR more often than RGs are asked to pull and block to the left side. Why? I don't know. Again... I'm not an NFL coach, but I know what I see.

So, as someone who has seen this dude play more than I have... I was merely attempting to ask you this: Is he agile enough to make the switch to LG... or do the Bengals have something else in mind?

Nevermind I guess.

LGs are asked to pull and run block to the right side FAR more often than RGs are asked to pull and block to the left side. Why? I don't know.

Is it just me, or does anyone else see flaws in this concept?

So, as someone who has seen this dude play more than I have... I was merely attempting to ask you this: Is he agile enough to make the switch to LG... or do the Bengals have something else in mind?

Nevermind I guess.

Jesus Derek, who knows what the Bengals have in mind. From the way things have gone down after this whole CBA got signed I firmly believe this team is in rebuilding stage 1. They're grasping at straws. I would be surprised at 4 wins again in 2011. At this point I have a hard time seeing 2.

heres what cardinal fans think of him
/>http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=56477

think of your feelings toward andre smith....

I loved the one about how Duece will lose forever now instead of most of the time.

My Take. Mixed feelings. The Bengals addressed the position I wanted but didn't get the player(s) I had in mind. I know Duece from his USC days. Always thought he was overrated and couldn't believe how high he went in the draft, but none of that matters now. Good but not great. Another straight line power player.

As for the LG/RG debate, I say Duece is a ORG. Can't imagine anyone that big on the left side. That said, I've ignored the guys career since he became a Cardinal and paid no attention to how he was used there.

Bobbie on the bubble?

I loved the one about how Duece will lose forever now instead of most of the time.

My Take. Mixed feelings. The Bengals addressed the position I wanted but didn't get the player(s) I had in mind. I know Duece from his USC days. Always thought he was overrated and couldn't believe how high he went in the draft, but none of that matters now. Good but not great. Another straight line power player.

As for the LG/RG debate, I say Duece is a ORG. Can't imagine anyone that big on the left side. That said, I've ignored the guys career since he became a Cardinal and paid no attention to how he was used there.

Bobbie on the bubble?

I think keeping bobbie for another year and rotating with the big Duece would keep both fresher. Bobbie would probbaly make the better pass blocker in the rotation, the way it sounds.

Bobbie on the bubble?

I think keeping bobbie for another year and rotating with the big Duece would keep both fresher. Bobbie would probbaly make the better pass blocker in the rotation, the way it sounds.

Please can somebody replace Nate Livings, i cant stand him in the starting lineup

LGs are asked to pull and run block to the right side FAR more often than RGs are asked to pull and block to the left side.

Look, it's not an opinion. It's an observation. If you don't like the "concept" take it up with O-Line coaches around the NFL. They are the ones who put big fat road-grater types at RG and more agile guys at LG.

I say Duece is a ORG. Can't imagine anyone that big on the left side. That said, I've ignored the guys career since he became a Cardinal and paid no attention to how he was used there.

Bobbie on the bubble?

I'm fine with that. Bobbie has been bad for over two years. In fact, I didn't want them to re-sign him the last time they did. He was one of the most penalized OG in the entire NFL. Somewhat forgivable for a rookie... but he's the veteran of the O-Line. I don't want him passing on his bad habits to the young guys.

As for LG... I'm happy to hand the job to Boling ab this point.

Runpee returns AND we sign another USC player? Yep, Mikey is still rubbing Carsons thigh trying to work his way back into those #9 panties. Give it up already Mike, he's gone.

As for Lutui, meh, if going to the SB couldn't motivate him what makes Brown thing Marvin can? Don't answer that, I already know. I'm most alarmed Andre is just now starting to conquer his addiction to fattening foods and we bring in a guy WORSE than him in that regard to be his partner on the right side of the line? Really? That's like pairing a recovering alcoholic up with the town drunk, or a crackhead that just got clean with a crackhead still using.

LGs are asked to pull and run block to the right side FAR more often than RGs are asked to pull and block to the left side.

Look, it's not an opinion. It's an observation. If you don't like the "concept" take it up with O-Line coaches around the NFL. They are the ones who put big fat road-grater types at RG and more agile guys at LG.

Hold on derek, I wasn't coming at you personally with that statement.

That's like pairing a recovering alcoholic up with the town drunk, or a crackhead that just got clean with a crackhead still using.

That's exactly what you do.

Yeah if you want a relapse which i'm sure Mikey does, if they both feed off one another and show up as blimps together he can get both resigned for dirt cheap.

That's like pairing a recovering alcoholic up with the town drunk, or a crackhead that just got clean with a crackhead still using.

That's exactly what you do.

Yeah if you want a relapse which i'm sure Mikey does, if they both feed off one another and show up as blimps together he can get both resigned for dirt cheap.

I mean that's exactly what you do for recovery from addiction. An alcoholic trying to recover has to be around other alcoholics. They are the only people who can possibly know what he's going through. If both our fat guys are fighting to eat right and lose pounds, being around each other is the best possible scenario. They can draw strength for their own struggle from helping their compatriot in his very similar struggle. Mike should bring in Kirstie Alley as a special o-line consultant.