2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m

Apparently the Bengals were getting a ton of conversation about dealing Higgins at the Combine.
It appears teams are still interested in seeing if he could be had in trade.

I know where I stand on the topic.  It better be a monster deal to make me happy with that decision.

Bengal fans can look at the cap and draft and talk about fixing holes.   A lot of AFC playoff contenders are talking about plugging holes they have created to just get cap room.   

Bengals have a ba-jillon in cap room even after tagging Higgins. That move puts them in winning the off season even though the majority of talking heads will discount the move because Higgins was already here. That's stupid. 

To give up that advantage,  Tee Higgins is worth a top 15 pick or equivalent, IMO.

There's been a whole lot of wasted breath comparing to the Colts.   Bengal fans should just worry about getting back to the Superbowl.   We are far ways away from worrying about getting Burrow his 2nd superbowl championship, lol.

To give Higgins up and take on the risk of replacement.   They better get adequately compensated.   The worse case IS still a great situation because if 2024 Tee don't work out.  His money is off the books.

I wish the Bengals could sign every franchise Free Agent to a 1 year deal. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

To give Higgins up and take on the risk of replacement.   They better get adequately compensated. 

Right there with you.
You don't give up Tee to save the money, because the rise in the cap took care of his tag and some.
You give him up (maybe) because the compensation is worth the risk of doing so.
Give him up for a top of the second round pick and people should be losing their jobs.

Whether anyone else agrees, my comfort level starts with two firsts.
Maybe a first and high second.  Why?
Because he's a known entity.  He's young and will absolutely improve the gaining team's offense.
Tell me what WR thought to go at the top of the 2nd round is going to DEFINITIVELY give you that?
Now... how much should a team pay for that?

Yeah, a lot

As far as I can tell, all the talk around a trade is pure unadulterated speculation. It’s totally unmoored to any facts whatsoever, just the media trying to fill space.

Not saying it couldn’t happen, but given the Bengals’ history of tag use, there’s certainly no reason to expect it.

And given the Evans deal, a team would be looking at not only giving up one or more draft picks, but also shelling out a long term deal north of $26 million a year average.

All for a guy who spent much of last season injured.

I conclude that the odds of a trade are somewhere between jack and sh*t.

Well here’s the most interesting take I’ve seen to this point.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/tee-higgins-trade-bengals-dj-moore/amp/

The 9th pick overall is enough to make me consider what that “could” be. Still a risk in not having Higgins, but again, if the concern is having Higgins and a TE at #18, this would help.

I would have to go play around with the mocks to see how that might shake out.

If I have a number 7-10 draft pick and the bengals are willing to give up Tee Higgins for that pick. I’d jump on it.  

High draft picks turn out to be good players, great players, mediocre players, and some bust.  Higgins is a known quantity, he’s very good.  Assuming you find his health to be promising, I’d gladly give up the pick that has the potential to be anywhere from bust to HOF for a very good player who’s still young and has 7 or 8 years left.  

2017, pick 9 = John Ross

2017, pick 10 = Patrick Mahomes

You can’t be sure what you’re getting.  Higgins, assuming you have the money for a 4 or 6 year deal, is a no brainer if the bengals would take a 7-10 pick in the draft.  

I don’t think the Bengals would take a draft pick.  Let’s say someone offers us a top 3-5 rated tackle in the league, and he’ll agree to a 4 year deal.  I’d do that.  

The group of local reporters are under qualified.  They've down so much fear mongering over the Burrow extension, self serving.   

It will always come down to Tobin's value evaluation.  If Higgins wants more then another group of current Bengals will get the bag from him. 

Scratch Dalton Schultz from all lists of possible FA TE pickups.

The Houston Texans and tight end Dalton Schultz have agreed to a three-year, $36 million contract, with $23.5 million fully guaranteed, a source confirmed to ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39659589/texans-re-sign-te-dalton-schultz-3-year-36m-deal

Teams just trading Jonah Williams type players around the league.   That's mostly what free agency is.   Been that way for decades now.  Media will tell you differently.    Vegas probably slightly moves its Superbowl odds.

Yeah, the combination of a constantly rising cap and the tag has meant that blue chip FAs almost never reach the market.  A few red chippers do on a reasonably regular basis (think Orlando Brown Jr.), but most of the best FAs now are either older guys let go for cap reasons and who may or may not have a season or two left, or younger guys at positions like RB or LB that just aren’t deemed important enough to spend on.

They may prove me wrong but I’m not actually expecting a lot out of the Bengals in FA this year. Maybe a vet safety, there seem to be a few shaking loose already. Possibly a running back, and definitely so if they do part with Mixon. Maaaaaybe wide receiver 3. I do expect them to look at OL but I think they might wait until after the draft. With all the OL projected to go in the first this year there will likely be some vets on the street down the road.

For FA, I'd be happy with

The raiders starting ORT

+

re-sign Sample and Hudson (baseline 1 year contracts with incentives)

+

re-sign Reader

+

sign one of the many high quality defensive backs who just got released to a 7-8M contract, length dependent on how old they are

+

sign a competent pass rusher, very preferrably an inside guy

+

sign Tee to a 3+ year extension

bonus would be extending Chase, signing a quality 3-down TE, and some better OL depth, especially at OC

and yeah, this is absolutely all doable and budget-able

More benchmarking:

The Chicago Bears and star cornerback Jaylon Johnson have agreed to a four-year, $76 million deal that includes $54 million in guaranteed money, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter and Jeremy Fowler on Thursday.

Johnson is guaranteed $43.8 million at signing and will make $28 million in the first year of the deal, according to sources.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39677177/bears-jaylon-johnson-agree-4-year-76m-deal-sources-say

Free agency is almost here and you know what that means: take it away Hobson!

Expect the unexpected, and their nimble front office has been able to turn on a dime

Sounds like Mike got the turbo upgrade for the Hoveround!

Burrow is one of the NFL's top draws for free-agents and fans alike. Plus, his head coach, Zac Taylor, has earned the rep around the league for taking care of his players with a team that always seems to have fresh legs.

Great news for Amphar, Club Zac is back!

They don't close up shop after the first week of free agency

[Insert pic of that black guy pointing at his head with the caption "can't close up shop if you never open!" here]

and prefer to take the long view of the cap leading up to Opening Day.

"The long view" = "push cap space into the future"

Even though the draft isn't until the last week of April and the practice squad isn't formed until the week before the opener, they've already got the rookie pool of $10.5 million

WOOOP THERE IT IS!!!! ROOKIE POOL FOR THE WIN!!!!!

and the $4 million of the practice squad budgeted, among other items.

Like that rat bastard injury pad! Bengals are broke again people, can't do sh*t, gonna have to fill out the roster with dudes from the stands!

• Haha 1

Dawn creeps up on night.  The slightest hint of daylight reveals a world shrouded in mist.  Wait, is that movement I see?  Out of the gloaming, here it comes, /skrillix drop/ THE ROOKIE POOL appears!

• Haha 1

Be careful Army, do not underestimate Rookie Pool.  Dude’s been around.  Very experienced!

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

If I make the team, I’m going to make Rookie Pool my bitch !!

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m