2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m

So the Ravens franchised defensive tackle Justin Madubuike, then reached a long-term deal last night ($98 million, $75.5 million in guarantees). From espn:

This deal continues a trend of the Ravens keeping their franchise-tagged players around long-term. Baltimore has reached extensions with seven of the nine players it has tagged in franchise history.

So basically the anti-Bengals.

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was hoping he’d make it to free agency. Not that we would have signed him (I would have) but that it would have hurt the Ravens. Sort of like Chris Jones in KC. 

Speaking of…

The Kansas City Chiefs and five-time All-Pro defensive tackle Chris Jones have reached an agreement on a five-year deal that includes $95 million guaranteed, his agents told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday night.

The specific details are still being finalized, but Jones will sign a five-year contract in which all the money in the first three years -- $95 million -- is guaranteed. Once the contract is signed, Jones will have the highest-ever average annual salary for a defensive tackle, surpassing those of Nick Bosa ($34 million), Aaron Donald($31.6M), T.J. Watt ($28M) and Joey Bosa ($27M).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39697463/chiefs-dt-chris-jones-agree-massive-five-year-deal

Lots of deals being set today as FA looms:

Baker Mayfield, 3 years, $100 million, from the Bucs.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39702094/source-buccaneers-baker-mayfield-agree-3-year-100m-deal

One year deal for Texans DT Folorunso Fatukasi.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39702022/texans-reach-deal-ex-jaguars-dt-folorunso-fatukasi-source-says

Two years, $15 million, for S Kevin Byard in Chicago.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39701519/source-bears-signing-2-pro-bowl-safety-kevin-byard

I also read that the Chargers are now considering trading both Keenan Allen and Mike Williams.
Funny, because they did exactly what the Bengals are dealing with right now, in paying two WR's big contracts.
Not saying that's where the Bengals would find themselves, but I think it demonstrates the need to spread money.

I don't think Tee gets his money here and walks after 2024.
I'm ok with that really.  I'm betting on Burrow's ability to make WR's better.
If that is in fact the case, you don't pay two top end WR's.

That's pretty much my point.  They are over the cap.
The Chargers put themselves in that position.  Paying two WR's top of the market deals, played into that.
I'm not blaming all of their cap hell issues on those two contracts, but they certainly play a part.
They have an out if they release both Williams and Allen, but it doesn't not appear that doing so is a "want" it's a "need".

I'm also not saying if the Bengals sign both Tee and Ja'Marr, they will find themselves in the same boat.
A short while ago, I was sold on the idea.  I'm simply saying I'm not in that camp at the moment.

If someone disagrees with my take, fear not, I will probably change my mind at least 10 times in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Like 1

And on cue…

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Higgins has requested a trade after the team franchised tagged him this offseason.

"Higgins loves Cincinnati and hoped to be with the team long term, but is disappointed that the team has not had any talks about a long-term contract extension since March 2023. He’s ready to move on to a new home," Adam Schefter tweeted.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/report-tee-higgins-disappointed-with-bengals-requesting-trade

Color me unsurprised. Anyone familiar with the Bengals knows how this tag thing usually goes: one and done. Meanwhile the player always wants the security of a long term deal. So here we are again. And I still think the chances of it happening are less than zero for the same reasons as before. Sorry Tee, but you are stuck. Your only choices are whether you want to cry about it, or suck it up and ball out so you can get a big bag next year.

I actually am kind of surprised.  I didn't figure Tee would go this route and I'm a little disappointed in hearing this.
I get the frustration of the tag and my agreement or disagreement with it's application is irrelevant.
This is the business world which was created and agreed upon.  Who is his agent?  Same as Bates right?
Fuck that guy...  Asshole move an hour and a half before FA starts.

To all teams...
Higgins is available for trade.  The starting point is two first rounders.

No worries.   Now's the time for the Tee camp to make the move.   Just like Jonah last year.    IF you are going to beat the $21m of the tag now's the time to do it.  While team's have cap room in March.   At the very least, it gets them a jump on next year's FA.

Just a question if it ever becomes public nasty to force his way out.   I assume he holds out like Bates and then it will be a question of when he joins. 

Its a publicity move because the agent don't have to request a trade at all.  Just go sign an offer sheet with another team.  The Bengals can then match or trade.

Top 15 pick or equivalent and the Bengals should consider it.   I wouldn't give him away.

With Mike Evans at 31 locking in $35m.  Tee Higgins could be looking at $50m+   You have to try. 

A question would be; IF they trade Higgins, how do the Bengals pivot?  That's what they do.

• Like 1

Well, the Colts tagged Pittman and just signed him to a 3 year extension.
No money was mentioned yet.

When looking at their stat lines, they are pretty comparable so the numbers should be fairly close.

Higgins: 58 games w/53 starts, 257 catches, 3684 yards, 14.3 avg, 24 TD's, 185 1st downs
Pittman: 62 games w/56 starts, 336 catches, 3662 yards, 10.9 avg, 15 TD's, 180 1st downs

EDIT: Pittman gets $71.5m with $46m guaranteed / about $23.6m per year.

NOTE: Higgins tag this year is $21.8m

• Like 1

Pittman details are not out yet but reportedly $46m guaranteed.   Pittman dominates targets for the Colts, so I expect Tee to get more.

But that's the wild card in the Tee scenario.   Last year Lamar Jackson got the cold shoulder with the tag.  Then went back on his demands and got paid with the Ravens.

My guess is Tee has already gotten the cold shoulder on the tag and they already know no offer sheet is coming.

If a Tee trade don't happen and I'm not expecting that it will given the WR market this year.  I doubt a team comes with significant trade compensation to make the Bengals bite.    Then Tee is looking at situation he could lock in at least $46m and probably a lot more or play on $21m.

Just mark it down now.  Next year's WR draft will be loaded again.  Tee will give a minor hold out for symbolic sake, but an extended holdout could really harm his market value. 

• Like 1

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m