2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

Regarding no signing of any RT’s and the thought that all the “good ones” are gone, my thought has always been that none of them were really any good. The kid from New England would have been an average option but he went back. If there was a year to take a RT in the draft, this is it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Regarding no signing of any RT’s and the thought that all the “good ones” are gone, my thought has always been that none of them were really any good. The kid from New England would have been an average option but he went back. If there was a year to take a RT in the draft, this is it.

If I had my druthers I give this deal to Tyron Smith…

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-tyron-smith-free-agency-deal-espn-predicts-contract-value

…and draft Latham at 18. Might even use the new 97th pick to move up a couple slots so the Steelers don’t jump us.

58 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Dude on the radio indicated similar thoughts.   The market for the mid-tier tackles and Smith is slow to develop because of the draft class.    Same with the mid tier DTs.     He thought its not a case of the Bengals dragging their feet more of when do some of these players get ready to set market. 

Take it for what its worth.   Wasn't super positive on Jonah returning but wouldn't rule it out because it sounded like there is a price they would act on.    Also indicated if DJ Reader returns they would need another add.  

• Like 1

The local insiders flat out said Bengals won't use a high draft pick on rookie tackles last off season. So????? If there's an ounce of truth to that.  Tyron Smith on a 1 year deal.   BOOOM.

I can't remember how old Whit was when he got the 1 year offer, but with inflation that would make Tryon Smith cheaper than that offer.   So do it.  

However,  Latham and Fuaga are plug and play and IMO there isn't room for both.   If they sign Smith then there is a whole world of players that will be awesome to have at 18 especially if 4 or more QBs go above them.  Sign Smith you instantly root for a run on tackles along with QBs.

• Like 1

I did

Tyron is a left tackle

and he's been injured every year for many years now

Latham is absolutely my guy at 18.  100%.  But I dont want him as a starter in 2024,  At least, not til he is groomed a bit.  I want a vet at ORT for game 1 of 2024

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I did

Tyron is a left tackle

and he's been injured every year for many years now

He’s played RT just fine. Made no bones about it when the boys put him there in 2022.

11 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

However,  Latham and Fuaga are plug and play and IMO there isn't room for both.   If they sign Smith then there is a whole world of players that will be awesome to have at 18 especially if 4 or more QBs go above them.  Sign Smith you instantly root for a run on tackles along with QBs.

I don’t think it’s an issue. Smith/Latham or Fuaga would basically be a repeat of Webb/Jones back in 2002 (I’m so fucking old). 

7 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I don’t think it’s an issue. Smith/Latham or Fuaga would basically be a repeat of Webb/Jones back in 2002 (I’m so fucking old). 

Webb/Jones/and Jonathan Jackson.   With Willie at RT.

Good lord I would kill for that today.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Dude on the radio indicated similar thoughts.   The market for the mid-tier tackles and Smith is slow to develop because of the draft class.    Same with the mid tier DTs.     He thought its not a case of the Bengals dragging their feet more of when do some of these players get ready to set market. 

Yeah this is why I think the Bengals have to consider a trade up if they want a RT. Lots of teams looking at that position in the draft. That comp pick they just got is enough to jump to 16, while their original third would get them to 14 with a late sweetener. Combined they could get them to 12. I’d rather not give up both but would happily spend one to get a guy I loved.

6 hours ago, COB said:

I hope they did their homework on Guiseki, and are confident his production these last two years has lacked due to scheme.

I think that’s the case. At least at the moment, I suspect that the points made earlier in this thread about Gesicki being seen more as a Boyd replacement are accurate. They’ve re-signed Sample and notably not (yet) Hudson, and Hobs just put up a piece slobbering all over Drew for being the third best pass blocking TE in the league last year. So, theory: (again at the moment, subject to change) they may have just decided to return to the old ways of having the TE be primarily a sixth offensive lineman.

Just for reference, as of an hour ago, espn’s top 5 remaining FAs were:

1. Danielle Hunter, EDGE

2. Arik Armstead, DT

3. Kendall Fuller, CB

4. Tyron Smith, OT

5. Calvin Ridley, WR

As of 30 minutes ago, Hunter signed with Houston.

Well, it’s always been a question mark as to whether he would be back in time for the start of the season and, if so, at what level. But even if the answers are yes and 100 percent, Reader turns 30 in July and the Bengals have never been fond of large contracts for older guys. I would guess they want something short, 1-2 years, while DJ is looking for that last big deal. If that’s the case I’m not optimistic but we’ll see.

Bengals certainly would have the up to date injury info.    The hesitation probably more to due with his age and injury history.   He's been injured a lot as a Bengal.   He only plays 55%-65% of snaps when healthy.

DJ needs to be on the La'El Collins type contract. 

I don't have a lot of heartburn losing DJ.  His availability is a question but most of the local media seem to think he's DJ of 2021.  From my untrained eye his play slipped big time in 2023.   Although Lou wants him back.

Give him a 1 year deal with play time incentives.  Heck maybe sweeten it for the extra year.  I would not go above $8m per year based on what some other rotational DTs have signed for.   If the Detroit Lions out bid you, more power to them.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans