2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins inbound
  • HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m

I'm pretty stoked with FA so far.

Losing Reader will hurt, no question. He's been my favorite defender of the Burrow era. But otherwise, I think Stone and Rankins are both fantastic grabs, and Gesicki could quietly be primed for a career year. He's so much better than Irv Smith.

28 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I like Rankins, but man they still need Reader, they need that big run stopping DT.

True but it’s a pretty deep DT class this year. They should be able to find a good run stuffing prospect in rounds 2 or 3. I hate losing Reader too but that $26 million number says to me that he isn’t coming back.

13 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'm pretty stoked with FA so far.

Losing Reader will hurt, no question. He's been my favorite defender of the Burrow era. But otherwise, I think Stone and Rankins are both fantastic grabs, and Gesicki could quietly be primed for a career year. He's so much better than Irv Smith.

The Mixon trade is the only move I hate. Everything else so far is fine.

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

The Mixon trade is the only move I hate. Everything else so far is fine.

Yea I agree, Mixon was not always great, but is Moss really that better? Maybe Moss and Mixon in the backfield? I feel like they need a bigger RB at times to get the hard first downs, Moss seems like a great catcher out of the backfield though. Guess I see how they are valuing the RB position looks like maybe a lot more screens this year.

• Like 1

I’m torn on Rankins had been inconsistent through his career, but had a solid season last year with the Texans. Preferably, they still bring Reader back with him, Rankins and Hill. That’s a nice rotation. Hoping…

Yes, solid offseason for sure.

Looks to me like they're fully pulling the plug on Dax Hill as a safety. And I think I'm okay with that. If it isn't working, don't keep jamming the square peg into the round hole.

Perhaps he can be a slot corner behind Hilton and, if it works, eventually take over for him.

Hill played nickel CB for a time while at Michigan, so I don’t think a move to CB is an issue. Not only that, Bengals coaches commented when he was drafted that he’s built like a CB and covers like one, but has great range like a safety. Even Hill commented when drafted about wanting to play both spots. Honestly I’m excited about the thought.

Bell coming back is solid for leadership and depth, if nothing else. 

Switching back Higgins for a minute…

I’ve seen talk of The Jags being interested in teaming him back up with Lawrence, his college QB. The thought is it would cost them #17 overall to make the deal.

Here’s where I am with that thought…
Do it. Take OT JC Latham and WR Brian Burns. You get a Tee replacement with an option for a 5th year and drop the $22 million hit to the cap.

With Ridley leaving for the Titans, it makes it more feasible. Not saying it’s a certainty, but I’m all in.

• Like 1

I wouldn't make a huge stink, but I probably wouldn't be thrilled either. While the "get value for Tee now while you can" logic is generally sound, it tends to omit that doing so probably weakens the Bengals' immediate Super Bowl prospects. The "win now" move is probably the double-tag.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’m also good with the double tag scenario. Might not be the best approach, but makes a shit ton of sense financially.

That being said, I still would move on that offer should it ever be presented.

Becton is an injury waiting to happen. I would have been so excited to have drafted him and more disappointed to see the outcome. I don’t care if you are 6’7, carrying nearly 370 pounds around isn’t a good option when your knees are made of glass.

Him and Eifert are probably related.

8 hours ago, Stripes said:

Looks to me like they're fully pulling the plug on Dax Hill as a safety. And I think I'm okay with that. If it isn't working, don't keep jamming the square peg into the round hole.

Perhaps he can be a slot corner behind Hilton and, if it works, eventually take over for him.

That’s been the theory. Hopefully it works out. 

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back

Worries me that they are going to sign that guy then we will be wondering why Joe is running for his life again lol

Says he gave up 12 sacks last season? Man how do they see that and think yup he’s the man to protect Joe lol

He barely played the previous two years. Becton actually had a solid rookie campaign in 2020, but he only had 48 snaps the next year and missed all of 2022. So that he was bad on a bad offense after two years off doesn’t surprise me. If he can stay healthy I think he would be an upgrade, though that wouldn’t stop me from taking Latham or Fuaga at 18.

Rankins -  Like the move.  Former 1st round pick.   Possible get you 5 sacks from 3T.  Hopefully paired with BJ.  Don't like the availability or age.    I don't think this spells the end of the Nose Tackle spot.  This probably puts Zac Carter on notice as this is more of pass rusher.  I would think BJ Hill is safe.

Bell - Hilarious.  Sign a year earlier and people are estatic they kept Pratt and Bell.  Let Lou sort out the pieces in the secondary.  I don't think it spells the end for anyone, there's a ton of potential in that group.   Get them sorted out and elevate the level of play.

Becton - If this happens.   It probably more of a problem for Smith or Carman.   If they sign him and do nothing eles.  Cody Ford would be your RT opening TC.  With one of the other tackles competing for a spot.    I doubt this is all they do at tackle.   Just might not lock them in at 18 taking one. 

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Worries me that they are going to sign that guy then we will be wondering why Joe is running for his life again lol

Says he gave up 12 sacks last season? Man how do they see that and think yup he’s the man to protect Joe lol

Because nobody in a professional capacity is paying attention to those stats.    They have more time, better tools to create their own.   When you are hired as OL assistant or whatever that's what you are doing among many other things.  Otherwise they'd just pay the subscription cost and save the money.

I assume the Bengals will or won't sign Becton at certain amount based on that.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans