2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m

Well the 30 million dollar increase in the cap paid for the tag and still left the Bengals with about another 8 million. The tag was pretty much a no brainer before the increase so whatever is better than a no brainer is what that decision was after the fact.

Yes I’m interested in Leonard Williams.  Interesting fact - he’s the first nfl player since 1930 to play in 18 consecutive games in a season.  Dude got traded last year from the Giants to the Seahawks.  When traded, Giants hadn’t yet had their bye, but the Seahawks already had theirs.

I do not know how this affected his money.  He signed to play 17 games, and I’m sure his game checks were calculated with a 17 game season in mind.  So what happens when he plays in 18 games?  

Guys, guys, GUYS, I know the big numbers have us all excited, but remember, those numbers have yet to be Hobsonized.

I mean, we’re already down to 54 after the tag. And they have to fill out the roster — all those scrubs won’t replace themselves! — and extend RFA offers and all that. Of course Rookie Pool is gonna show up looking for his piece, and his buddy Injury Pad won’t be far behind. And we really need to push some space into the future for that big Myles Murphy extension in 2026.

When you work it all out, the Bengals are hard up against the cap. Might need to cut Joe Mixon just to get some breathing room. No way they can chase a top tier FA, or even a B or C level player. Might sign a guy or two in late May, but might still be looking for starters after camp cuts. Sucks to be in cap hell like this but here we are.

• Haha 1

Higgins doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who is going to complain about getting the tag. Not that he doesn’t want a long term deal mind you…

One, I don’t think he really wants to leave Burrow and Chase.  Two, he knows nearly $22 million is nothing to turn your nose up at. That’s double what he’s made in his first 4 seasons combined. Three, if no long term deal is done, he’s going to crush the market in 2025.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Higgins doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy who is going to complain about getting the tag. Not that he doesn’t want a long term deal mind you…

One, I don’t think he really wants to leave Burrow and Chase.  Two, he knows nearly $22 million is nothing to turn your nose up at. That’s double what he’s made in his first 4 seasons combined. Three, if no long term deal is done, he’s going to crush the market in 2025.

And last season was a terrible one for him. Now he gets a do-over to put up big numbers and really break the FA bank.

I have seen a bunch of different places reporting out on what the Bengals could get in return for Higgins.
The thought process in those articles states they could get either a first or second round pick in return.

To that I say, go hang on some nuts.

If we trade Higgins, who's the #2?  We would either have to find a cheaper option in free agency or depend on a rookie we take in the draft.
In order for the Bengals to give up a known product, who is a big piece of our offense, that return had better be more than that.
I've heard, "Well, that gaining team also has to pay the player".  That's true, but it also is weakening our own team in the process.
Both should be accounted for.

The return should shock the shit out of me before I get behind it.

• Like 1

In other fully expected news, exclusive rights free agents Browning and Adomitis have both been tendered.

https://www.bengals.com/news/jake-browning-cal-adomitis-exclusive-rights-tenders-2024-season

League minimum this year is $915k. Of course it goes up a bit with experience and I’m not sure how much each has accrued. But for the moment scratch about another $2 million in cap space.

Edit: looks like 915 for Jake and 985 for Cal.

23 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I have seen a bunch of different places reporting out on what the Bengals could get in return for Higgins.
The thought process in those articles states they could get either a first or second round pick in return.

To that I say, go hang on some nuts.

If we trade Higgins, who's the #2?  We would either have to find a cheaper option in free agency or depend on a rookie we take in the draft.
In order for the Bengals to give up a known product, who is a big piece of our offense, that return had better be more than that.
I've heard, "Well, that gaining team also has to pay the player".  That's true, but it also is weakening our own team in the process.
Both should be accounted for.

The return should shock the shit out of me before I get behind it.

If I were Duke nothing less than a top 15 pick or equivalent value for Tee.    Anything lower offered go take a walk.

I will save comments about the player in the draft thread so as not to take this one over.

I have seen many comments about adding both a free agent TE and drafting one. Names like Johnu Smith and Noah Fant. I would be interested in seeing if Fant’s talent that got him drafted in the first round could do better in an offense worth a crap.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m