2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

The internet, led by Goodberry, has been shoving him out the door for months, all over cap space (negligible) and vague fears that he falls apart now that he’s 28. I am assured by them that he’s easy to replace, just like Hurst and Perine last season. I mean how tough can it be to replace a guy who touched the ball on 37% of all offensive snaps last year? He barely played! (/s)

Dumb move but I’m not surprised, just disappointed.

I just don't see the upside.  Zac Moss isn't horrible.  Probably solid.   But they only save $1m in cash, if that.  $2m in cap room.   

The people shoving Mixon out the door was first about money then about game breaking, then about only gaining what's blocked for you.    I don't think Moss is bringing that extra gear or wiggle, because if he could, he wouldn't be so cheap.

This could blow up on them for what saving $2m in cap room?   Hopefully it works out. 

Voodoo stats are iffy and can be fools gold because you really have to account for the Competition, Formation, and game situation.   Zac Moss's voodoo stats are going to be super awesome if he gets the week after week touches Mixon was getting behind this line with Burrow?   Its a whole different world going from needing to run to be the best chance to win and running when the HC/QB want you to and we are first throwing to Chase then Higgins etc. 

• Like 1

Yea I’m not really sure how I feel about this Mixon/Moss thing. Cutting Mixon for 1 or 2 million just like that seems a bit dirty, for a guy who has been here a long time, but I guess that’s the business. I have no issue with Moss but is he a full time RB, will they now draft another one, I guess Brown will now step up. Whatever it is I just hope they start using the RB more, the offense was just better when they actually ran the ball!

• Like 1

Mixon... I woke up and still don't care for the move in the grand scheme of things.  The cap going up 30 million allowed them to cover his salary, which was manageable when looking at some of the other RB deals.  While I will agree that Mixon wasn't always on his game, he was still producing and was a LARGE part of this offense.  I assume they are looking at his stats and figure had he started more than 8 games, his numbers would have surpassed Mixon's and he was playing in an offense led by Gardner Minshew.  I don't necessarily disagree, but it's speculative.  I will be rooting hard for Moss and Brown to make a nice 1-2 punch in the backfield.  I will thank Mixon for his time here and will miss seeing him at the local high school football games.  He would typically have another guy, like Tee, in tow with him and were always great with the kids and parents.  Hope he goes to the Texans so I can root for him some more.  Good luck Mix !!!

• Like 1

Higgins... When looking at the Panthers picks, I can see why they don't want to give up their two 2nd round picks.  Since they gave up their first in selecting Bryce Young, they wouldn't make a pick until pick #65.  They gave up their 1st and 2nd last year, their 1st this year, their 2nd next year, along with DJ Moore.  Now facing their two 2nd rounders to get Higgins?  Total that up for a second and look at it.

Two first round picks, four 2nd round picks and a true #1 WR go out the door.
Their return "would be" Young and Higgins.

That's 6 high end picks for an underachieving QB and changing WR's.
OUCH !!!

That being said, if I'm the Bengals, I would stick to my guns on those two 2nd round picks.
#33 and #39 isn't a bad thought when looking at some of the holes that still exist.
However, one of those would need to fill the loss of Higgins.

I'm lukewarm on that one...

The new rb is younger, cheaper, and a MUCH better pass blocker, so I am happy with all that

I think they are going to go with not featuring or truly starting a back.  I would bet good money if I had any that, assuming both are healthy, two backs will see a roughly equal number of carries

I have no ill will against Mixon, I just wish he had accepted a pay cut, but very very few players ever do that

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Higgins... When looking at the Panthers picks, I can see why they don't want to give up their two 2nd round picks.  Since they gave up their first in selecting Bryce Young, they wouldn't make a pick until pick #65.  They gave up their 1st and 2nd last year, their 1st this year, their 2nd next year, along with DJ Moore.  Now facing their two 2nd rounders to get Higgins?  Total that up for a second and look at it.

Two first round picks, four 2nd round picks and a true #1 WR go out the door.
Their return "would be" Young and Higgins.

That's 6 high end picks for an underachieving QB and changing WR's.
OUCH !!!

That being said, if I'm the Bengals, I would stick to my guns on those two 2nd round picks.
#33 and #39 isn't a bad thought when looking at some of the holes that still exist.
However, one of those would need to fill the loss of Higgins.

I'm lukewarm on that one...

If I were Higgins, I'd be nervous to go there.   Better hope that contract is great.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Rumor mill:

I didn't realize there were so many trade value charts floating around.   Bengals have been talking to Panthers on a Higgins trade.   Asking price is both 2nds.   Counter is a 2nd and a 5th.

So pending which value chart you frequent.   Bengals are asking for mid 1st round value, Panther countering with low 1st round value.

Although Tobin is on record talking about how he values these low round picks so there's another trade value chart that suggest pick 33 and pick 141 are worth and equivalent of pick 13.   Not sure I buy that, but whatever. 

Panthers got a bunch of differing picks so I'm not sure which numbers they are actually talking about. 

Fuck it, do it. Mixon gone, Boyd gone, Higgins gone, just declare it a rebuilding year and I can commit my time to more useful pursuits until 2025.

I guess it's just perspective.  All better than average teams go through this.
If you have a bunch of stellar players, sooner or later you won't be able to afford them all.

I never expected Boyd to be back, although I would have no issues with him returning.
I expected Higgins to the odd man out when considering both Burrow and Chase extensions.
I advocated for dumping Mixon (at his current salary) last year, before he took the pay cut which impacted last year and this year.

Higgins "might" have netted a 3rd round comp pick at best after his departure next year.  Getting two 2nd's (probably won't happen) would be the far better option to him walking and us get what amounts to zip.  Trading him also frees up that $22 million, which could be used in other areas.  Hell, they could bring back Boyd with that savings, plus draft a new WR.

It's not to say it couldn't all blow the fuck up and kill 2024, but I try to remain optimistic in Burrow's ability to win.

the speculation is that it will be a late day 3 pick, and that pick could possibly be conditional, ie we get nothing unless his usage and/or production meets certain conditions

If its conditional, it will be a 2025 pick, not a 2024 pick

but yeah, either is still better than the nothing we were getting by releasing him

I dont think this changes the cap.  I think we still get the dead cap charge, same as before, only difference is that his salary and any 2024 incentives go against Houston's cap, which again changes nothing for us, cap-wise

• Like 1

Sooooooooooooo?  If Zac Moss is such an upgrade why didn't Houston just sign the cheaper/better RB?

Instead they give up a pick and take on slightly more money.

However, its the path chosen by the Bengals so at least they got something in return.

Is Mike Gesicki a Bengal?  Thought I saw it.    That's a solid move if it isn't expensive.

Edit: Yes he is.  1 year $3.25.

Doesn't end the yearly TE debate but this is a solid move.  Has had a couple 700 yard season and former 2nd round pick.  

Out of all the rent a TEs they've done recently, I like this one the most.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Is Mike Gesicki a Bengal?  Thought I saw it.    That's a solid move if it isn't expensive.

Edit: Yes he is.  1 year $3.25.

Doesn't end the yearly TE debate but this is a solid move.  Has had a couple 700 yard season and former 2nd round pick.  

Out of all the rent a TEs they've done recently, I like this one the most.

Yeah solid move.

• Like 1

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m
5 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Yea saw that and that could be Boyd’s replacement considering how much he played in the slot. Still should sign Hudson as well I think for another TE option and blocking.

Yeah Hudson on top of this would give them alot of options to play around with TE vs. Slot WR.

22 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yeah, no details on what compensation was, but maybe a 6th or 7th?  Can't be much.

Texans don’t have a 6th but do have 3 in the seventh so likely one of those.

The fact that Reader hasnt re-signed is quite worrisome. 

There arent many good DTs left

that, and all of the good ORTs have already signed, and I dont want Jonah back mainly because he clearly doesnt want to be here

these two positions are the key to free agency for us, and I havent heard even a hint of them talking with anyone

Bengals.com is still silent on Mixon/Moss scenario.   Probably means Mixon traded for Will Anderson or something.   Just odd every other deal is acknowledged by Bengal.com but not the Mixon/Moss transaction.

Also if Hobson doesn't make reference to a rolling Stone gathers Moss.   I'll be disappointed.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans