2024 Offseason News Thread

I don’t know how Fields will be, but at least some teams are willing to try different things in the offseason to get better. To me the Bengals do the same crap year after year. Not really sure after seeing what the Bengals did they really got better to make a run. I don’t know to early to tell guess will see 

Here’s the silver lining…

Yes they got both Fields and Wilson on the cheap. Good for them this year. However, Wilson has pretty much been told he will be the starter, so Field’s is the backup. The Steelers have to decide whether to pick up Fields 5th option, which would pay him $25m next year. Yikes !! If not, they potentially face 2025 without either of these guys and having to start all over again. Good !!

Also, I’ve watched many Bears games since I have friends and work associates that are Bears fans. Fields has had a worse o-line than the Bengals and until DJ Moore came in last season, his WR’s have equaled a pile of crap. Not to mention not much of a running game either, unless you are talking about Fields himself.

Fields is not a bad QB, although I’m now hoping he sucks !!

• Like 1

Bengals already have a terrible time playing against running QBs now all 3 in the division are. They just let there best run stopping DT walk away, who knows how good there CBs are even going to be. 

Yea I’m a bit nervous going into this season, we only can hope Joe will be back to 100 percent, there great WR Higgins is pissed and who knows if he wants to play or just be a huge distraction, there o-line still sucks, who knows who is RT, still think they need a guard. They let there best RB go for only 2mil and who knows how this Miss will be. So many questions going into this season, so far not sure if they got any better in the division, a place where Zac couldn’t even win a game

I just plan on winning the Super Bowl.
Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. 
I will say this though, it’s nice heading into the season knowing that’s a real possibility. I’m happy it’s no longer the 90’s where there is no shot of that happening before they take the field.

• Like 1

Steelers hosting Mike Williams for visit. A bit interesting to me that for all the talk of interest between Pitt and Boyd there’s been no discernible movement there, and no mention of anyone else being interested in him. He looked kind of washed to me last season, maybe other teams saw the same thing?

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Steelers hosting Mike Williams for visit. A bit interesting to me that for all the talk of interest between Pitt and Boyd there’s been no discernible movement there, and no mention of anyone else being interested in him. He looked kind of washed to me last season, maybe other teams saw the same thing?

Agreed.  He’s got a lot of miles on him, then signs of decline (specifically very untimely drops) showed up.  Could he end up back with us on a team friendly deal?  

6 minutes ago, COB said:

Agreed.  He’s got a lot of miles on him, then signs of decline (specifically very untimely drops) showed up.  Could he end up back with us on a team friendly deal?  

I think that’s the only way he ends up back in Cincy.

The question will be would Boyd want to come back on a cheap deal?   With the off season under way it looks like extreme competition to get on the field as the 10th/11th player.   Boyd would be looking at a reduced role.

Unless there's some injuries its going to be tough to get those snaps and then targets.

Hopefully they'll have a healthy Jones and Brown more this year.  Add Gesicki.  Bring back Sample and Hudson.

What the Bengals have on offense is somehow being overlooked.  They get some luck this time with Burrow it really falls on the shoulders of the line to be competent early on so the numbers aren't stunted.

If the QB is healthy and OL not giving up a bunch of negative plays.  Its going to be hard to stop.

• Like 1

Yeah, that’s what I meant when I said I think he only returns on a team friendly deal, meaning he has no other choices. He would definitely be fighting for a spot. I suspect the coaches want to get the young guys on the field more this season, to see if they have a Boyd replacement as well as a Higgins replacement on the roster. But they might suck or get hurt so Boyd might be back if he comes as cheap insurance.

Yeah, that was my point as well.  Low cost, low risk, good veteran leadership in the locker room and dependable if needed.
God knows injuries happen.  Agree with the thought of the competition being higher this year as well.
Yes, Gesicki is a TE, but he can and has operated out of the slot.  On top of that, Chuck Sizzle will be healthy and into his 2nd season.
Iosivas is going to get his chances as well, but that would be into our 5th and 6th WR's at that point. Slim pickins.

Nice problem to have !!

• Like 1

And on cue, this popped up today from the Pitt Athletic writer:

"Some people (not all) inside Steelers not 100% on board with signing Tyler Boyd," Mark Kaboly tweeted. "There is still time to work things and everything is still on the table but it doesn't appear anywhere close to a sure thing like it appeared to be a week ago at this time."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/steelers-reportedly-split-on-potential-tyler-boyd-signing

Well it sucks the Steelers are improving their QB postion in 2024 on the cheap.   However, they got a tough road ahead.  By May 2nd they have to commit to Fields 5th year which is $25m for 2025.     If they don't then both Wilson and Fields are FAs next year and even marginal QBs are getting big deals.  Essentially they will not get the advantage of "franchise qb" on rookie deal years if they want either of those 2 around past this year. 

Hard to say what they do with Fields.  There are a few options.

1. Pick up the option to retain his rights for 2025.
2. Trade him after the draft this year because some team missed out on QB.
3. Maybe trade him before the trade deadline if another team's QB goes down.

I know if a team picks up the 5th year option, the player's salary is fully guaranteed.
Not sure what the options are if the team picks up the option and then wanted to trade him.  Anyone?

If the Steelers decided to pick up the option.  Then trade.   The contract "option year" goes to the acquiring team.  

Bengals faced this last year with Jonah Williams.   The only way out of that $12m 1yr option was to trade Williams once they decided to pick it up.

The thing that makes the Fields trade weird is the Russell Wilson trade. They make no sense together.

If there's no Wilson, then Fields is your starter this fall and you are 100% picking up his option. He's costing you $1.6 million this year then $25.6 next year, for a two-year cost of about $13.5 million a year. Peanuts for an NFL QB, and you should know by the end of 2025 whether he's the answer or not. Hell, if somehow you want to see one more year you can spend $50 million or thereabouts on a QB franchise tag and your three-year costs are still cheap for a QB.

But if Wilson is your starter in 2024, which the Steelers said he is, then yeah, what do you do? You can still pick up the option, but what if Wilson is great? You just let him walk. And if he sucks and you end up in the range of a top QB in next year's draft, do you take one with the commitment to Fields?

This feels like a left hand and right hand doing two different things, which is weird in Pitt, but who knows.