2024 Offseason News Thread

37 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

It's so odd that Simpson was never able to find the real killer(s)

I mean, he searched every golf course in America for them, with no luck whatsoever

It must have been all that time he spent in jail in trying to get back all the "stolen" memorabilia he sold to repay the Goldman family.  Oh wait... 

I have been watching a lot of player reviews and there has been a name that has stuck with me for about a month now, but I've never really "truly" given it much thought of happening.  I think I have just always made OT the go to pick in the first, so I haven't considered too much more.

However, I go back to the debate of "Do we take Chase or Sewell" and many, at least outside this board (and some in), thought there was no way we pass up on the chance to protect Burrow.  Then came the pick..... Chase.  The Bengals saw him as a true #1 WR and said it really wasn't that hard of a choice for them.

It makes me wonder if they look at a guy like Trent Brown and think they don't have to worry about OT for the season (at least in the first round) and take a player at another position?  Then the name comes back in again.  Higgins is certainly not going to be playing here in 2025 and Boyd isn't coming back this season either.  While they have guys like Losivas and Chuck Sizzle, who I like a lot, neither of them are a true #1.

I give you my non-OT first round pick:  Brian Thomas Jr., WR, LSU.

Sure, there are LSU commonalities, but this kid could be a true #1 as well.  Adding him to the mix would allow the Bengals to move guys around more and get Chase some more reps in the slot, which presents some really great matchups for him.  While the addition of Mike Gesicki might preclude that thought, since he has lined up a lot in the slot even as a TE, the Bengals would have a massive arsenal for Burrow and gain the 5th year option for a position that is going to need to have someone on a rookie deal after they pay Chase.

I could be wrong, but I'm not dismissing that thought any longer.  

Feel free to blast away....

It’s the Bengals, so a first round WR is always in the mix. The only thing Mike likes more than a first round wideout is a first round QB, and they are already set there, so…

The biggest downside is that TJ would light PBS on fire and HamCo would jack up your taxes to pay for repairs.

I suspect that if it isn’t OT or DT at 18, it will be corner. But who knows how the real thing falls, and while WR would aggravate me, it wouldn’t surprise me.

I think Hobs mentioned this possibility in one of his recent mocks. He doesn’t see it because Tee is still here and they are apparently high on Iosivas, so getting a first round WR snaps would be difficult. Of course, that didn’t stop them from taking Murphy last year.

I thought CB as well and I don’t think that’s the case moving forward. With the addition of Stone and Bell, along with Battle having a really solid rookie season, I think Dax is looking at a move to CB, which would make things crowded if another is added in the draft.

I like the idea of Dax at CB and he certainly got playing time there at Michigan.  Again, we never know.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The biggest downside is that TJ would light PBS on fire and HamCo would jack up your taxes to pay for repairs.

Indeed,   WR at 18 is a HUGE no-no,  Give Chuck Sizzle and YOH SEE VOSS a chance at WR3.

Pretty much my home appliances need the pick to be a DT or a ORT not named Mims.  I like everything about Mims except his lack of durability and resulting lack of experience

2nd round pick needs to be another Lineman or a 3down TE (if such a being exists)

Id be OK with another receiver no earlier than r4.  High RAS type.

For some reason a lot of mocks are going RB on day 2.  I don't see any need for a RB at all in this draft. 

Mims and Guyton are a hard pass in the first round for me.  Great measurables, bad tech, inexperience....screams their typical tackle bust.     There's no way the Bengals scouting staff has determined 6/7 college OTs are among the best 18 non QB players.    I would guess maybe 4 or less.

3 minutes ago, COB said:

What do you have against Amarius Mims?  Better think about it, because a lot of people think he’ll likely be our guy.

I gave reasons above :-)

However, now that I see that Amphar is thumbs down on Mims, I will have to rethink my position

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I thought CB as well and I don’t think that’s the case moving forward. With the addition of Stone and Bell, along with Battle having a really solid rookie season, I think Dax is looking at a move to CB, which would make things crowded if another is added in the draft.

I like the idea of Dax at CB and he certainly got playing time there at Michigan.  Again, we never know.

Lou has to be accountable for Dax and the fall off, IMO.    Dax in the first 6 games looked like a potential pro bowler.   He dropped something like 6 ints(entire season).   If he holds on to 4 of those fans would be pimping him for pro bowl.     I have no idea how they are going to use him or if at all.    

They have alot of potential in the secondary.   Up to Lou to figure it out, I guess.

59 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Indeed,   WR at 18 is a HUGE no-no,  Give Chuck Sizzle and YOH SEE VOSS a chance at WR3.

Pretty much my home appliances need the pick to be a DT or a ORT not named Mims.  I like everything about Mims except his lack of durability and resulting lack of experience

2nd round pick needs to be another Lineman or a 3down TE (if such a being exists)

Id be OK with another receiver no earlier than r4.  High RAS type.

For some reason a lot of mocks are going RB on day 2.  I don't see any need for a RB at all in this draft. 

RB is showing up in the second because Mixon. I think they will take one but it’s a day 3 pick.

I am all but certain there will be a WR in the first three rounds. Likely second. But again it all depends on how things fall.

But.......we brought in Mixon's replacement in FA

net change in rostered RBs is zero

regarding a WR early - do you think they have no trust in one of Sizzle or Yoh breaking out as WR3?    I mean, the theoretical day 2 WR will be no better than WR3 as things stand in 2024, plus they need to toss some balls in Gesickis direction too

I think WR is in the mix for a few reasons.

1. There’s likely a true #1 at pick 18, which is uncommon.
2. They could address the position and lock it up for the next 5 years, which they need to do with Chase about to get paid. You know… why Tee won’t be back next year.
3. As much as I like Jones and Iosivas, they are no Tee Higgins. Both would still get reps and set them up for the starting slot position in year 3. They got time in last year.
4. Depth. No Boyd means should either Tee or Chase miss a game or two. Jones and Iosivas are now your defacto #2 for however long.

Again, I’m not sitting here saying WR is a must have take at #18, but there are certainly reasons why I think the team would go that direction.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TJJackson said:

But.......we brought in Mixon's replacement in FA

net change in rostered RBs is zero

regarding a WR early - do you think they have no trust in one of Sizzle or Yoh breaking out as WR3?    I mean, the theoretical day 2 WR will be no better than WR3 as things stand in 2024, plus they need to toss some balls in Gesickis direction too

Re RB it’s low attention mock drafters. The see mixon gone hence RB.

Re WR it’s a strong class and they have not shown a reluctance to draft to strength.

I'd arbitrarily guess the probability of each position being the first round pick:

OT > DT > [TE***] > CB > WR > DE > IOL > other

***only if Bowers is there

I don't consider all of those true "needs", but the Bengals have shown a willingness to draft certain position groups highly regardless of need. And I am usually fine with that.

• Like 1

NFL network is doing cross promotions with ESPN on draft coverage.   Last night they had the guru Mel Kiper on.   Showed some of his old draft day clips.    It just doesn't see like draft coverage until you here Mel's voice. 

Draft day was so much better to watch when it was up in New York.  I don't mind Thursday but its such a kiss ass event right now.  Too many "super fans" that love every single pick.