2024 Offseason News Thread

Just NFL business.   It costs to have Super stars and that is what Trey is.    At 17 sacks a year or even the amount he's averaged as a bengal he's underpaid.   The Bengals should open the door and give him up front cash and maybe a couple extra years.

I would not  be against a trade either but like Higgins it better be at least top 15 value or forget it.

12 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Yea what a joke guess he should have thought about that before signing his extension last year. 

They keep saying they are not going to deal anyone because they want to win the Super Bowl this year, but kind of hard when some of your superstars don’t even want to be there. Now we question if these guys are really giving it there all when they are on the field. What a joke this offseason is turning out to be

Trey had 17.5 sacks last year.  He's set to make half per year of what the top defensive players are making.  He should be paid more.    He's going to make $29m in 2 years when lesser players will make that in 1.

This is just NFL business.  Any smart agent and player should try to capitalize on the cap growth IF they can.   Trey can and the Bengals should make it work.  

If the Bengals don't want to make it work then they should be willing to trade him for top value.  

I have no issue with him wanting to get paid more. I agree wholeheartedly that he deserves it. However, the timing and going public the way his agent did is a straight up bitch move.

That doesn’t mean I don’t want him to stay for as long as he’s productive, but it doesn’t take away the fact this approach is pathetic.

Two opposing things can be true at the same time. I can love Trey, while thinking this is bullshit.

Trey just got paid last year. He had a a choice to bet on himself or take the safe money. He lost that bet and now he’s crying like a little bitch. He’s 100 percent responsible for the boat he’s in and the Bengals are under no obligation to give him another dime. And as he will be 31 when his current deal is up, I don’t expect them to.

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Trey just got paid last year. He had a a choice to bet on himself or take the safe money. He lost that bet and now he’s crying like a little bitch. He’s 100 percent responsible for the boat he’s in and the Bengals are under no obligation to give him another dime. And as he will be 31 when his current deal is up, I don’t expect them to.

No he's not.    The Bengals are supposedly trying to win a Superbowl they are under the obligation to make sure their players are on the field to do that.   What the anti-Mike Brown all of sudden loves his money?

Pay the guy or trade him.   This is the business of the NFL and this will be a reoccurring theme as long as the Bengals have superstars.   They all aren't going to be crying like bitches just to get paid market value.

Chris Jones wasn't a bitch holding out last year.  This is stuff they have to do in order to get the money that's grown since their last contract.   If you have 17.5 sacks in a year then "YES" you have the leverage.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

No he's not.    The Bengals are supposedly trying to win a Superbowl they are under the obligation to make sure their players are on the field to do that.   What the anti-Mike Brown all of sudden loves his money?

Pay the guy or trade him.   This is the business of the NFL and this will be a reoccurring theme as long as the Bengals have superstars.   They all aren't going to be crying like bitches just to get paid market value.

Chris Jones wasn't a bitch holding out last year.  This is stuff they have to do in order to get the money that's grown since their last contract.   If you have 17.5 sacks in a year then "YES" you have the leverage.

Ell Oh Ell. Hendrickson has ZERO leverage. He’s set to make about $36 million over this year and next assuming he stays healthy, but he’s going to retire? Bullshit. And if he was that rock stupid, hey, they drafted his replacement last freakin’ year. Go ahead, Trey, go rot on a couch. I double dog dare you!

52 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Ell Oh Ell. Hendrickson has ZERO leverage. He’s set to make about $36 million over this year and next assuming he stays healthy, but he’s going to retire? Bullshit. And if he was that rock stupid, hey, they drafted his replacement last freakin’ year. Go ahead, Trey, go rot on a couch. I double dog dare you!

They are going to have to come up with some money, period.   He has a ton of leverage.  That's why they did the small extension last year to avoid problems.    If they aren't willing to do that then, get a return and try to fill the void.

They'd look like idiots all season with him holding out when they are supposedly trying to win a Superbowl with no pass rush.

This is your typical playbook that is as old as the NFL itself or least limited to my memory. 

Boomer is good in booth, IMO.    I'm not sure what he wants to do but, IMO, his MNF radio and old NFL TV are No. 1 quality.

Phil Sims is also better than Romo, IMO.   Basically Romo sucks.    I'd say Simms, Boomer and Olsen are very good color guys in the booth.    I would think if they wanted to do it could upgrade some of the No 2 and No. 3 broadcast teams.   Just about anybody ESPN puts out there sucks if its not college football.

Bradshaw sucks on a pre game.    Matt Ryan from what I have seen would be solid on pregame. 

Time for Nantz to go as well.

Was just reading that the Bengals contract offer to Higgins never approached $20m per year. Higgins, it said, wants something where Pittman’s contact with the Colts is.

That contact was 3 years, 70 million.

if all of that is to be believed 100%, the Bengals would be stupid to not give him that deal. Hell Pittman’s deal is already a value at this point and over the course of the next three years will be a super bargain.

Already know he won’t be here next year, but again, if all that’s true, I’m less pleased. Chase is going to get $30m+ per year.

Well, first thing to remember is that all this is coming from Tee’s camp, so of course they are as pure as the driven snow, never made any outrageous demands, etc. Also this report refers to the original conversations, which would have been in 2023.

That said it just confirms for me that the Bengals never had any intention of resigning Higgins and that “tag and release” was always the plan. No surprise there, we’ve seen it multiple times before.

Tee is going to have to have a big season.   He's coming off a bad 700 yard season.  Next year's draft class is loaded as well.  But if he has his best season he could beat $75-80m over 3 years.     It would be advantageous if possible to tag again next year, maybe.

I don't see why the Bengals would up their offer off a 700 yard season to top of the market.  Wouldn't make sense.   The risk is on Higgins side to perform.   Unless he's entertaining a deal at a number the Bengals would love, don't really see the point of them upping last year's offer.

I'm simply looking at the story at face value.
IF the story is true and Higgins is looking for a Michael Pittman deal, my point is that it's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of WR contracts.  Higgins is already accounting for nearly $22 million this year.  Why would the Bengals think that coming in below that number is reasonable?  So is the 700 yards from last season the anomaly or are the multiple 1000 yard seasons?  WR top of the market is going to be $30+ million per year.  A solid #2 WR is probably right around that $23-$24 million point.  That's going to look like a great deal come 2027.

The talk of Iosivas or Burton (which I've already seen) taking Higgins spot in 2025 is being shortsighted and over confident.

NOW... Does any of that mean they should pay Higgins 23-24 million per season?  No, not by any stretch.
However, to think something less the $20 million was a reasonable offer is just stupid.
Again, this is taking everything at face value.

From the start of last season this team is greatly improved, IMO.   Knowing how last season started and ended, of course.

First - Lou should be fired IF his defense at the end of 2024 is ranked in the 20s.   He got a bunch of secondary upgrades and returns guys.   It should be night and day difference.    Got more pass rush at DT along with run stopping youth.   The big issue is Hendrickson hold out (maybe).   Hubbard return from surgery.   Ossai and Murphy need to step up.

2nd - Fire Pollack IF they give up more than 35 sacks.   I don't know if Trent Brown will be an upgrade or not.  I am certainly worried about a boom or bust rookie OT.   If Brown proves to be as solid as Patriots Pass protecting then its a plus.  For some reason that stuff doesn't always translate.

But mostly the QB spot is entirely better and hopefully stays that way.   They've never had a normal training camp with Burrow.  Now Browning has elevated his status to capable back up.   That positively influences every offensive spot and if they can get up to scoring it should improve the run D as well.

I like that thought process Stripes.  Let me think about it. Had to remember the "relative to the start of last season".

QB - no change (Could this be the first year for Burrow to start and end camp without being/getting dinged?)
OT - improved  (Agree)
IOL - no change (Agree)
RB - slightly improved (Maybe)
WR - slightly worse (Agree, but expecting to end better than last year started)
TE - improved (Agree)

DE - no change (Agree)
DT - worse (Agree, but has the potential to end really well between Rankins and Jenkins)
LB - no change (Agree, UGH)
CB - no change (There were higher expectations for Awuzie coming back, but it didn't happen)  (Dax could help)
S - improved (I would say MUCH improved here.  Stone, Bell, and Battle along with Anderson and new dude)