2024 Offseason News Thread

The problem the Steelers face is they have to pick up the option May 2nd or nothing.   They won't know jack about their QB options by then.   I'm not sure they'll even have OTA before then.    So its commit $25m of 2025's cap blindly or face your entire QB room from 2024 becoming UFA in 2025.

Well, the word put of Pitt now is that, one, there is a “mutual interest” between the Steelers and Wilson to extend him beyond the one year he is signed for. Which raises the immediate question, if that’s true, why did they sign him to a one year deal in the first place?

And two, the Steelers are not expected to pick up Fields’ option. However, they may try to extend his contract as well. Which raises the immediate question of why Fields would do this if Wilson is gonna be the long term guy?

https://en.meming.world/wiki/File:Cat_Standing_in_the_Snow.jpg/

The Steelers’ apparent infatuation with Wilson is baffling.  I’d love it if they signed Russ long term and dumped Fields.  

The broncos and Peyton just took on 85 million in dead money against the cap to get rid of Russel Wilson.  His teammates in Seattle pretty much hated him.  

It kind of feels like Tomlin has entered his Marvin Lewis era - so tired of coaching that he only wants vets (who don’t need much coaching), and young player development suffers greatly as a result.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 2:35 PM, COB said:

I don’t get it.  Jerry Jeudy has not looked good any time I’ve seen him play in the nfl.  College was different.  Just the Browns being the Browns I guess.

Browns keep browning, give Jeudy a three-year $58 million extension with $41 million guaranteeed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39766129/browns-sign-wr-jerry-jeudy-3-year-58m-extension

Regarding new Browns wideout Jerry Jeudy.  This is a summation of his ‘23 season, it’s from his wiki:

“Jeudy finished the season with 758 yards and 2 touchdowns in 16 games played. His 62.1% catch rate was the lowest since his rookie year. [49] His catch rate was just 143rd among qualified receivers. [50]”

The brain trust up in the Mistake just gave this dude sixty million bucks, 40 of it guaranteed.  I’m looking forward to watching him drop passes for the next three years.  Also, his agent deserves an award.

• Haha 1

I like the sound of the new kick off rules.   Puts strategy and ball placement back in play or at least it sounds like it will.

Very much against the hip drop tackle.  Just another way to penalize the defender in doing their job and another rule the vast majority of watching fans won't understand.   Gives more air time to the all knowing rule expert and more non-entertaining banter between the booth and the rule czar.

With the owners meeting in full flight this is probably the last decent push for getting ground work to trade Tee.   If they don't parameters they are comfortable with now, its probably dead.

All this “trade” talk is being generated by Tee’s agent.  It wouldn’t be make the decision for me, but if a draft candidate is represented by this dude that would be a factor in my evaluation.  Not a positive factor.

I haven't really looked into the kickoff thing at all.  Probably should...

Agree about the hip drop tackle.  It seems to vague to make an accurate call each and every time.
They have enough of adding confusion and refs not being consistent across the board, without adding more.

It sounds like the Bengals are listening to offers by reports, but outside of it being "reported" by ESPN, I don't know where it's originating from.  Honestly the Bengals SHOULD be listening.  There's no reason not to.  They won't give him away like the Chiefs did with Sneed, but if they were to get a 2nd this year and next, that might be enough for them.  Maybe a swap of first round picks, with the Bengals moving up, plus a 2nd next year.  I don't know, but they might want to wait to pull the trigger until draft day to keep other teams off balance.  The latter scenario would ripple the first round to a degree depending on the team making the trade.

I say hold out for top 15 value for Higgins.   Him having to perform this year is a great situation for the Bengals, unless there's a big urgent push to use that cap room for extensions or something.   No sense taking what the Chiefs got for Sneed but the Chiefs are in need of cash and cap room.

Well, the hip drop ban passed. I love the weird framing it's getting, like this example from espn:

The violation will result in a 15-yard penalty if flagged in games, but Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, strongly implied last week that it is likely to be enforced similarly to the "use of helmet" rule, which typically leads to warning letters and fines in the week after a game rather than flags during play.

So it's a 15-yard penalty -- which can be drive, if not game, changing -- but it will only be called sometimes, which is a...good thing? Just what the game needs, more unevenly enforced penalties!

No vote today on the kickoff thing.

4 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

It sounds like the Bengals are listening to offers by reports, but outside of it being "reported" by ESPN, I don't know where it's originating from. 

It's originating from exactly there, specifically from Jeremy Fowler, who claimed yesterday on Sportscenter to have talked to teams that are interested in Higgins who "believe" (not admitting having talked to Cincy or anything like that, but, y'know, apparently have a feeling or something) that the Bengals are "at least willing to listen" in comparison to last year.

So by all appearances it remains just vibes, and mostly/totally vibes produced by the media. Tee's agent may have a hand in it but if so I think it's a light touch. More than anything else this reminds me of the whole "Burrow should hold out" media campaign back in 2020. I said at the time that was fueled 100% by the media which did not want a hot ticket like Burrow stuck in one of the league's smallest media markets. Same for Tee. Him in a bigger market means more eyeballs and $$$ for them.

• Like 1

I know the Patriots were "said" to be a team interested in Higgins.
In looking, they currently have the #34 overall (2nd pick in the 2nd round) and then I would guess on them sucking somewhere close next season, depending on how well a rookie QB would fare on that team with such change taking place.  Even if they were to improve to the tune of about 8-10 places in the draft order, that would still net top 15 value for Tee.

I could see that as a viable option, but it just seems so far out of character for this organization that it's hard to fathom.
Not to say it won't, but it's not something I'm about to place a bet on.

Greatest hip drop tackle of all time - you decide.

1. Burfict brutally hip drops Le’Veon Bell and tears his MCL, same game in which he also knocked Antonio Briwn out of the game, and sent Roethlisberger to the sidelines (admittedly Ben only missed a few plays, dude was indestructible even for Burfict).

I don't mind them shipping off rando games to foreign nations or even placing them on a 1 time streaming event.   Browns vs. Eagles or Packers vs. Eagles I could give 2 shits about.    However, I don't like the thought of them shipping off an opening day game for anyone.  

Hip drop tackle rule is stupid.  Add that to the list of things they won't get right consistently. 

New kick off rules are 100 times better than the past seasons of kick offs.  It was becoming, why the hell do we even do this?

Kick off rule - the nfl put the last couple years’ rule in place because their research showed kickoffs and punts produced a lot of high velocity impact plays, which equaled head trauma.  They were all about trying to reduce concussions.  

This most recent rule modification will result in more returns and fewer touchbacks, the direct opposite of their stated goal regarding the previous iteration of the rule.  

Something has changed.