2024 Offseason News Thread

I get that as well.  Hire a nanny, chef or whoever else you need.
That being said, the precedence is being set not by the spouses, but the majority of other teams in the league that provide these services.

It's not like this is a 24/7, 365 kind of thing.  Hell there are parts of the year, nothing is provided.
Hell, not every player is married and/or has kids.

This isn't something that should be a problem.

• Like 1

Quit carrying the NFLPA's water.   2 years in a row the NFLPA members have said their family/friends are too good to sit next to you at tax payer provided stadium.

Yet fans get in the fetal position when they read this shit.  OMG, "we aren't going to get free agents".   "Just make them happy". 

Whatever happened to that fear mongering report about the Bengals supporting worker comp legislation that was sure to scare off Free Agents? 

There's a whole bunch of agenda driven people/organization AND NFLPA is one of them that's going to beg for public support via these stupid report cards. Quit supporting it.   The collective of players are more than capable of going to negotiations when something is truly important to them.

The owners should release one that grades players on ability to pay child support.  Ability to show up sober on game day.   Report showing how much expense is needed to sequester players a night before a game because they can't stop getting high or whatever.   Ability not to hit your girlfriend. 

You must hate unions.  I don't like them much either, but must admit I didn't give it much thought this was coming from them.
Now that I have, I still don't care.  There's nothing to get upset about either. Fetal position? Fear mongering?
Reduce your caffeine intake.

It's simply looking at the results and what or may not come from them.  Not where this is coming from. 
Remove the union for a minute.
Could this information to even one free agent, who's married and has kids at least give that consideration?  I would guess.
Does that mean they absolutely won't sign with us? Of course not.

Again, these are simple things.  They aren't asking for a percentage of the salary cap and shit.
I also don't know what's being missed that the majority of other teams provide these services.

It's kind of intriguing to me personally.  We have child care, a cafeteria with low cost options and a physical fitness center available to us whenever I may need to go into the office.  These things are available even on weekends should the need arise to get work done at that time.  I and my wife have benefitted from these services for the better portion of the last 3 years.  I can guarantee you that I would not consider leaving this job without those services being provided in the future.  Why?  Because they are important to my wife and I.  Not because the union, which we have and I am not a part of, said so.

And for the record, I don't care if any of this happens or not.  Like I said, I'm intrigued.

• Like 1

Steelers, Falcons and Raiders all reportedly in the hunt for Justin Fields.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-fields-trade-rumors-these-three-nfl-teams-have-already-shown-interest-in-a-possible-deal-for-bears-qb/

I haven’t seen anything concrete about what the Bears might be asking. Rooting for Atlanta here.

I do not like the thought of Justin Fields in Pitt.   There's a lot of potential with him and if used effectively in a system can really upgrade their QB spot that's been below average even with fat/slow Ben.

• Like 1

The Steelers and Falcons being interested in Fields shouldn't surprise anyone, but think he would fare better in Atlanta.
The Raiders hired his former OC Getsy and it was noted part of that was due to not getting success out of Fields.
Not only that, the two of them have on more than one occasion traded barbs.  Can't really see that happening, but who knows?
Money talks.

Re the above:  unions are what this country needs right now.  Our middle class is disappearing, and our disaffected unfortunates are, predictably, trying to plan Bastille Day 2.0 as we speak.  That’s when they’re not blaming all our societal ills on, again predictably, anyone that looks or sounds different from them.  

That’s right, good old fashioned football message board political flamewar incoming!  Let’s get it on!

RE: reducing caffeine intake.  Never, and I mean never.

• Like 1

Football Message Board Flamewar Fodder:

Can’t seem to get much traction on this flamewar, (I’ve patiently waited 3 minutes), so I’ll take the other side.

Unions!  I’ll quote the great Paul Brown: “No Bolsheviks!”  I don’t give a fuck if every Walmart has 5000 versions of Meemaw and Peepaw standing there in a blue vest saying “welcome to Walma….(voice trails off in nihilistic resignation)”  They did it to themselves, they voted against their economic interests for decades in order to pursue a backward social agenda. They voted themselves out of the middle class, and now all they have is their orange hitler and a shriveled up fist to shake at an uncaring world.  And that’s all they fucking deserve.  Go Capitalism!

Listen you elitist fuck, unions are what built this country.  It didn’t use to be this way, but these United States today only serve the rich.  It says says a lot about our current corporatocracy that the gazillionaire players in our beloved NFL have union protection, but those Walmart workers you look down your nose at, do not.  For gods sakes, to even avail yourself of the very institutions that were put in place to help the poor, today you have to be rich!

Broncos to cut Wilson, take an 85 million dollars dead money hit over two years.  I don’t remember anyone taking that big a dead money charge, ever.

So let’s say they decide to split it pretty evenly, 42.5 million per year against the cap.  AND they gave up two firsts and two seconds to get Wilson.

Which means they’re 1. Short on cap space and 2. Don’t have 4 high picks they could have on price controlled rookie deals. 

Payton better be a genius at selecting mid to low level free agents.

Nope no real thoughts on the greater aspect of politics these days.
I've gone off the grid.  I read the stories and determine what to think about them.
No need to tune into FOX, CNN, MSNBC or whatever political news broadcast people get their daily mindfuck from.

I can't even remember the last time I watched a news broadcast and I'm much happier for it.
Much like I despise and push back against almost all social media nonsense.
People just can't help but deal in the drama of shit.

Follow what party you like, believe what you like and enjoy your life.  Isn't America great ??
I won't complain or argue the point, just don't force your nonsense on me.
I'm your typical old man these days, in that I just want to be left alone.
Peace and quiet is where it's at.

I will leave you to it COB !!  Good luck !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

explain to me how the bears were able to get an OC that graded 78 for 2023 for a 5th round draft pick?

Chicago Bears Trade For Buffalo Bills Star Center (msn.com)

Please

anyone

then next, explain to me why we didnt have a better offer

May I direct your attention to snaps played in 2023?

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/ryan-bates/28300?season=2023

Then check his scores the prior couple years when he was a starter.