2024 Offseason News Thread

So to continue an off-topic topic from December, Oscar nominations are out and Godzilla Minus One has been nominated in the visual effects category. It’s the first time in the 70-year, 38-film history of the Godzilla franchise that a Godzilla film has been nominated for an Academy Award. Interestingly, director Takashi Yamazaki, who started as an effects guy, led the effects team in addition to directing the movie, so he is the first director to be nominated for the vfx Oscar since Stanley Kubrick in 1968 for 2001: A Space Odyssey. Pretty good company imho.

The film is set to end its U.S.  run Feb. 1. For its last hurrah starting this Friday, a new black and white version, Godzilla Minus One Minus Color, is rolling out. If you haven’t caught it yet, grab a ticket!

Harbaugh is inheriting a truly loaded roster.  No explanation for the 5 win season they just had.  He’s walking into a playoff team with a franchise qb.  It also ends the longest and most annoying job search of all time.  Dude’s been trying to get back to the nfl for 3 years.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:52 PM, HoosierCat said:

So to continue an off-topic topic from December, Oscar nominations are out and Godzilla Minus One has been nominated in the visual effects category. It’s the first time in the 70-year, 38-film history of the Godzilla franchise that a Godzilla film has been nominated for an Academy Award. Interestingly, director Takashi Yamazaki, who started as an effects guy, led the effects team in addition to directing the movie, so he is the first director to be nominated for the vfx Oscar since Stanley Kubrick in 1968 for 2001: A Space Odyssey. Pretty good company imho.

The film is set to end its U.S.  run Feb. 1. For its last hurrah starting this Friday, a new black and white version, Godzilla Minus One Minus Color, is rolling out. If you haven’t caught it yet, grab a ticket!

Finally saw the Holdovers.  Loved it.  Paul Giamatti is great in everything.  

17 minutes ago, COB said:

Finally saw the Holdovers.  Loved it.  Paul Giamatti is great in everything.  

Yeah, I initially had no interest but everyone who has seen it loves it, so I might have to break down and check it out. It’s back in my local theater along with a bunch of other Oscar nominees. I am so far behind on movies right now, this not having a car thing sucks.

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Sounds like a Browns move.  Hire the guy that was fired from an underperforming unit.

That is so on-brand for the Browns, hobo scout is spinning in his cardboard box behind a 7-11 somewhere.

• Haha 1

Hobs gives us some Tobin channeling Mike Brown at the combine.

Tobin says he's not sure of Williams' future. His offseason theme is the Bengals' salary cap is a pie and teams may be willing to give Williams a bigger piece of their own pie.

Higgins, a free agent in March, and Chase, under contract for another year eligible to sign an extension, are also part of a pie that is only so big. Tobin wouldn't comment on the possibility of giving Higgins the franchise tag and then trading him or of Chase's stated desire to sign after Vikings Pro Bowler Justin Jefferson.

"We like Ja'Marr. He's in our long-term plans.  He's a high-level player in this league. And we want to keep those kinds of players on our team," Tobin said. "I want Tee Higgins back. Everyone on our team would like Tee Higgins back. There's a pie and there are things we can do and can't do because of it. We'll see."

I suppose “there’s a pie” is an upgrade from the whole “only so much corn for the hogs” bit, but still…

I would like to have Jonah Williams back but its not going to happen if the Jawan Taylor market of last year exists this year.   Can't justify a multi year deal at 12-16m cap hit or more with the long term contracts that need to be done.

Higgins is in the top 15 of a lot of Free Agent lists.   Just because he's been a Bengal doesn't discount the impact.  If they would sign any other top 15 Free Agent to a 1 year deal everyone would love that move.   Tag is the the easiest move.  If he plays under the tag its not the best outcome but its still a good outcome.  Then they've simply locked him away for 2024.  Come to terms that a long term deal isn't happening and start handing out his 2025 and beyond money to other extendable Bengals on their list.  A trade? I would want them to get 3/4 top 150 picks otherwise it feels like they are spinning their wheels and accepting risk in the 2024 season.

Chase deal?  I hope.  But like Burrow last year some pieces are going to have to fall in place and they will.   

Given how OL-rich the draft is shaping up to be, I can see Jonah's market being softer than it might otherwise be, but yeah, probably not soft enough to fit in the Bengals' pie tin.

Tagging Higgins is as inevitable as the sun rising in the east.

I like pie !!

Jonah should be gone.  While I no longer straight up dislike the guy, you can't afford to give him an elite contract when his production is not commensurate to the dollar amount.  To Hoosier's point, there's too much young talent in the draft that can add 5 years of stability on a small dime.  You don't pay Jonah.

Higgins get the tag for sure, but that's no small amount either.  Honestly, that's probably where his contract should be.  Somewhere in the low to mid 20's per year.  Again, if they want him long term, they can do it.  Again, this is another reason you don't pay Jonah.  I also don't see a tag and trade scenario either.  Mostly because with the tag being a fair market price, why get rid of a value piece of the offense when you don't have to?  Especially when the draft picks would be unknowns and you can't force the time lines for him signing the tag.

Chase is going to get paid and the Bengals will be the team to do it.  
It's not a matter of if, it's when...  I honestly don't even think much about it.

We've made mention of this many times, but it's worth repeating.
This is what happens when you have star players and you want to hold onto them.  You pay the biggest and brightest of them you can build a team around and then you build.  They will have to hit on draft picks and make solid, yet mostly unspectacular (see not high price) moves in free agency to help out.

Just start the purge already.

Move on from some of the guys getting older, but still costing a lot.
Hate to lose Boyd because I love that dude, but they've drafted his replacement.
Awuzie needs to go and draft another CB, along with DJ Turner's hopeful progression.
Reader needs to go and draft another DT.
Williams needs to go and draft another RT.
Damn near every TE needs to go and certainly Irv Smith and get one in the draft.

If Tupou and Sample don't cost much, they can come back for depth.
Look at the linebackers like ADG, Bailey and Bachie.  Maybe bring them back, maybe not.

When looking at Reader, Boyd, Awuzie and Williams, that's nearly 40 million alone in salary.
Extend both Higgins and Chase when time allows and move on.

Well, that's my take.  I'm sure others may disagree.

27 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

It now costs 5 dollars a month to subscribe to Goodberry's twitter

Well, how do you think he affords that Mercedes convertible he’s driving in his vids? If people were willing to pay for my yammering, I’d charge, too!

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, how do you think he affords that Mercedes convertible he’s driving in his vids? If people were willing to pay for my yammering, I’d charge, too!

Yeah more power to Goodberry.   I find it odd people would pay it, but whatever.