2024 Offseason News Thread

While I liked seeing the safety play seem to improve as the season went on, there's no doubt the loss of Bates and Bell was felt for the defense.

Hurst, was missed early on, but that could have been mitigated had they went with Tanner Hudson earlier.
Add another TE to pair up with Hudson and that will be a nice combo moving forward.

The running back room clearly missed Perrine's blocking skills and ability to spell Mixon if needed.
That being said, they didn't give Chase Brown enough opportunities to do the same through the season.
That kid can play and I think they really messed up not getting him more touches this season.  It's a shame.

The offensive line was not much better in the grand scheme of things than last year, despite adding Orlando Brown Jr. and staying healthy.
Hopefully Pollack's belongings were in a box waiting for him when the game was over.  He's had enough time and resources to do something.
Bring in someone else, let him evaluate what we have and then let him get his guy in the draft.

For the love of God, find a way to start the season like you are actually, you know, ready to play football.
I'm sick of them digging a hole they have to climb out of every stinkin' year.
And balance out the damn offense when Burrow returns.

Here's to hoping the big decisions coming in the offseason are all solid for them.

Zac probably needs to bite the bullet and admit club med attitude during practice only goes so far.   The Bengals look soft run blocking and soft run defense.    Quit worrying about the injury boggie man and put the pads on a little more during August and throughout the season.

Tackling and tackling pursuit angles were horrible this year.   During these all-22 reviews that seemed to pop up a bunch.   There were a lot of protection scheme break downs you wouldn't expect with the vets they have along the line.     At times it seems like the Bengals are the worse team still in dealing with looping End and DT stunts.  Even late in the season they aren't getting those handled correctly.

Bengals front office seem pretty good at identifying talent so its hard to believe its a "talent" issue across the board.   To me it just sounds like a lot of "not enough" practice reps crap.

With coaching staffs getting fired around the league, now would be a good time for Zac to look at o-line coaches.  There might be a competent guy out there.  Not that Frank isn’t competent, he is.  But the results just haven’t been there.  

• Thanks 1

Burrow Offseason Injury Watch, 2024 Edition:

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow addressed the media for the first time in over a month as his 2023 season ended early due to a wrist injury.

Burrow said he's hopeful he can start throwing fully on the surgically repaired wrist by OTA's this offseason. He made it clear it'll be a "couple of months from now" before he can fully grip a football.

"I think I should be good by OTAs we'll see, pretty early (in the process)," Burrow said on Monday.

1 hour ago, COB said:

With coaching staffs getting fired around the league, now would be a good time for Zac to look at o-line coaches.  There might be a competent guy out there.  Not that Frank isn’t competent, he is.  But the results just haven’t been there.  

THIS.

Not questioning competence in the least, but as I mentioned, he has had time and resources devoted to him in order to make it happen.
You cannot accept the outcomes we have seen and change should be made.

That might have been the healthiest o-line season since God knows when as well.  I think Volson may have missed a game, but that was it across the line.
If you are a PFF kind of guy, than this is the most dead average o-line in the league, maybe slightly below across the board.
They seem to be a very bland group of players.  Average, but nothing and no one stands out as a dominating force on that line.

Burrow wants Tee back.

"Obviously, we'd love to have Tee back," Burrow said. "He's a big part of what we've done here. And there's no secret (with) our relationship, so I expect Tee to be back. I think that's the sentiment in the locker room. We all want Tee back, we know what kind of player he is, what kind of person he is. He's what being a Bengal is all about."

Burrow discussed his perspective on the key choice Cincinnati has to make.

"Yeah," Burrow said about teammate deals playing a role in his contract negotiations. "We made sure the things were in place that we could if we needed too."

The Bengals are usually accommodating when it comes to their QBs. I don't think a long-term deal here is out of the question. I mean, they have kind of paid everyone at the moment. The only big contract looming is Chase. Would cut down money for FAs of course but that's a feature not a bug with this franchise.

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Would cut down money for FAs of course but that's a feature not a bug with this franchise.

It’s just a lot of work to evaluate all these FA and trade possibilities.  Default to signing your own guys - Bengals Business Precept Number 5. 

• Like 1

Here are all the Unrestricted Free Agents the Bengals have to figure out.

DT Reader
WR Boyd
CB Awuzie
RT Jonah Williams
WR Tee Higgins
TE Irv Smith
DT Josh Tupou
OG Max Scharping 
TE Drew Sample
RB Trayveon Williams
QB McCarron
LB Bachie
OG Cody Ford
LB Davis-Gaither
LB Bailey

At first glance, that's a lot of LB and TE depth and two more TE's (Hudson and Wilcox) are RFA's, along with WR Irwin.

I would rather keep Reader, but he's also turning 30 and hasn't looked as fierce as he once was.
I would rather keep Higgins, but not sure they can afford both him and Chase.
I would rather keep Boyd as well, but if they pay both Higgins and Chase, I just don't see it.
I expect Jonah Williams to be gone and think they should move on from Awuzie.
Everyone else can be replaced, ESPECIALLY IRV SMITH JR.

It's interesting to me they will have $70 million, if that number is correct.
You know what else was interesting about last year's salary ??  Tyler Boyd almost made the same amount of money as Chase and Higgins combined.
That's going to change quickly !!

DT, OT, CB and WR (not in order) should be the priority for free agency and/or the draft.
All but OT continue that trend in 2025, which is another reason to be looking to the future.

• Like 1

$68.5 million per OTC but 70 is fine to make the math easier.

Looking at the FA list, Higgins is the only guy I’m thinking of handing big bucks. And if not him, who? Hey, if they have their eye on some stud DT or RT in FA, great. But absent that, give me Tee.

That’s a lot of names but I think most can be gotten back with breaking the bank, assuming they are wanted. They top four there, Reader, Boyd, Chido and Jonah will have markets, but I don’t know how strong each will be. All come with age, injury and/or performance questions.

Our secret weapon at TE, the unstoppable Drew Sample, must of course be retained.

In addition to all of this, I’m already seeing the “Bengals need to move on from Mixon” crowd piping up again. IMHO they can pipe right back down again.

I have no issue with seeing a backfield of Mixon and Brown in 2024.
However, Brown needs more carries than he got in 2023.
257 carries for Mixon to 44 for Brown is what 2023 had for the season.

The only thing less impressive than Sample's 163 receiving yards, was Irv Smith Jr.'s 115.
That dude sucked balls this year.

• Like 1

Free Agency is basically 2 days of hot activity then slows down afterward the following weeks.  Then every team goes into a hole focusing on the draft.

1. Reader.  That's a summertime deal.  Its unlikely any team swoops in and signs him up given the injury.   Maybe bengals can get him short term deal in the summer as his recovery timeline is more known.  I think they need to focus on adding youth to D-line via draft.

2. Higgins. Tag.  Takes him off the market in the rush period.  Prevent WR needy teams from crossing that off their list.  Maybe they can get a big deal done, maybe not.  If it comes to trade at least they may control his landing spot.   What you do not want to happen is to have some AFC WR needy team sign him first hours of FA.  Disaster, IMO.

3. Boyd - Walk.  He's probably going to get more than Bengals want to pay.  Replacements may already be here.   Also dependent on Tee Higgins.  Chase will also get paid.

4. TE.  I'd resign Irv, Sample and Hudson.  Roll it back.   I'd only consider major investment via draft falling that way AND if it looks like Higgins is moving on.   Can only line up 11.   All these dudes are cheap and they clearly settled into roles in the offense.  I assume the Bengals will offer them at minor increases and replace accordingly.

5. Jonah Williams - This is the classic 2 for 1 Tobin deal.   Williams will sign in a range of 12-18m of cap room.   Tobin will sign 2 vet FAs for that combined room.   I just think he'll be too expensive for the Bengals.   Hopefully they'll have the same amount of success as in the past.

6. Chido - Not sure if they'll resign him but they'll need to find a decent replacement.  Literally can't have a weak spot in CBs spots 1-4 now a days.

The "Mixon" crowd.  Get over it.  He's not the problem with the run game.   The line and really team identity is the problem with run game IF they even see it as a problem at all.  I don't really think they do.  Mixon is lined up a good cap price.   Only look to replace if the draft board falls.

Dust settles then get a Chase extension done.     If they so happen to get Higgins and Chase locked up long term that's one of the best offseasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Free Agency is basically 2 days of hot activity then slows down afterward the following weeks.  Then every team goes into a hole focusing on the draft.

1. Reader.  That's a summertime deal.  Its unlikely any team swoops in and signs him up given the injury.   Maybe bengals can get him short term deal in the summer as his recovery timeline is more known.  I think they need to focus on adding youth to D-line via draft.

4. TE.  I'd resign Irv, Sample and Hudson.  Roll it back.   I'd only consider major investment via draft falling that way AND if it looks like Higgins is moving on.   Can only line up 11.   All these dudes are cheap and they clearly settled into roles in the offense.  I assume the Bengals will offer them at minor increases and replace accordingly.

Dust settles then get a Chase extension done.     If they so happen to get Higgins and Chase locked up long term that's one of the best offseasons.

Agree with most all of that.

About the above, Reader is either brought back or they draft DT high.  Maybe both. BJ Hill is an unrestricted free agent in 2025 and they need to keep him as well.
I'd be happy with Jer'Zahn Newton the DT out of Illinois in the first.  He's actually my #1 target at this point in time (subject to change)...

I'd be willing to let almost anything else slide in the TE room, as long as they bring Hudson back as the #1 from day one.
All the other TE's on the roster combined still = dog shit.

Chase and Higgins both getting done would be MASSIVE in my opinion.  Couldn't agree more !!

5 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Do it Carolina, pull that trigger!!!

Yeah, that wouldn’t really bother me either. The question becomes, who replaces him? 

Maybe a guy like Joe Brady, who is the Bills interim offensive coordinator, after getting hired as their QB coach? The plus side to him is that he would probably be good with Zac calling plays, along with the fact he coached with Burrow and Chase at LSU.

Maybe not, but he jumped in my head.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yeah, that wouldn’t really bother me either. The question becomes, who replaces him? 

Maybe a guy like Joe Brady, who is the Bills interim offensive coordinator, after getting hired as their QB coach? The plus side to him is that he would probably be good with Zac calling plays, along with the fact he coached with Burrow and Chase at LSU.

Maybe not, but he jumped in my head.

I would be ok with Brady, but my guess is would be the QB coach Dan Pitcher. Burrow loves that guy and truthfully I think he would be really good in that position. So I actually wouldn’t mind if Brian I like him, but think they would be ok.

Sounds like they are not going to get rid of any coaches. 

I would just like to have a real offensive coordinator instead of this multi-headed hydra thing they have going. The inconsistency it produces is maddening. Some games they look unstoppable, others they can't buy a first down.

I'll use the news that the Jags fired defensive coordinator Mike Caldwell and multiple defensive assistants on Monday, while the Giants are moving on from DC Wink Martindale and two of his top assistants to note that despite producing one of the league's worst defenses, Lou Anarumo still has a job. They spent a boat load on money and picks on this D and they were trash in 2023.

But volcom is probably right, they likely aren't making any moves.