2024 Offseason News Thread

15 hours ago, COB said:

How is this dude such a hot prospect?  

Because he's better than what Bengal fans think.    He's got a lot of NFL references.    He's worked with alot of successful starting NFL QBs.   He's got an A+ resume

1. His dad Superbowl Head Coach Raiders.  College head coach Nebraska.  Currently know as one of the best NFL line coaches.    Coached Zac Taylor at Nebraska.   Zac Taylor infamously son in law to Mike Sherman.   So that's a ton of contacts and references.

2. Peyton Manning speaks highly of Callahan.

3. QB coach for Stafford and Derek Carr.

Since being with Bengals he's got Burrow and the sudden emergence of Jake Browning. 

I wouldn't say he's a hot prospect until you start seeing offers. 

And the answer is...Jarod Mayo?

Moving swiftly one day after parting ways with legendary coach Bill Belichick, the New England Patriots have chosen Jerod Mayo as his successor and the 15th head coach in franchise history, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Mayo, 37, will be formally introduced at a news conference next week. He will be the youngest coach in the NFL, taking over a title that Sean McVay held since being named the Los Angeles Rams coach in 2017; Mayo is a month younger than McVay.

A linebacker for the Patriots from 2008 to 2015 after being selected in the first round of the draft out of Tennessee, Mayo joined Belichick's coaching staff in 2019, serving as linebackers coach.

The Patriots were able to forgo the standard NFL hiring process and immediately hire Mayo because they established a succession plan in the contract extension he signed last offseason, similar to what the Baltimore Ravens did with their general manager position when Eric DeCosta succeeded Ozzie Newsome in 2019.

Mayo becomes the first Black head coach in Patriots history.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39293221/patriots-hire-jerod-mayo-replace-bill-belichick-sources-say

All righty then.

10 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Maybe it works.  Maybe it don't.

Big "what if".   It was rumored years ago the Patriots wanted Keith Rivers over Mayo, but the Bengals took Rivers right before Patriots and they ended up with Mayo.

Happy for that young lady and Jake.  Hopefully Bengals get him a raise and secure his services past next season.    Its funny the first time she popped up on TV after a Jake Browning TD.   I thought to myself IF he continues playing this way by the end of this thing she'll be Taylor Swift light.    Last game of the season she's all pimped out, I'm guessing people got in here ear that she's been on TV several times in the previous weeks.

Buzz this a.m. in Philly is that Sirianni won't survive last night, so we may have yet another coaching vacancy open up.

Jerry Jones didn't seem too thrilled with the Dallas loss either, but you never know which way he will jump.

Meanwhile, up in Cleveland the scribes are penning odes to the team's management about how they did the right thing dumping Mayfield for Watson, Baker's playoff wins be damned.

El. Oh. El.

18 hours ago, COB said:

Cleveland writer Jimmy Watkins: This strategy that failed is still the right strategy.

lol.   Cleveland has no strategy because the leadership has changed a bunch.   These Cleveland blow hards have done this a thousand times since the franchise returned in 1999.    Its always whatever new regime comes in, that's going to wreck the NFL.

Anybody remember those Bud Light frigs that would unlock and give free beer as soon as they won a game?  That fan base had to sit through a "master plan" of trading away vets, clearing cap space, accumulating draft picks that resulted in a 3 year record of 4-44.   Only to beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in a Wild Card round, watch the Cincinnati Bengals rebound to win a AFC Champ/Runner up the next two years.  Then lose to the franchise they traded with in Wild Card round and then watch the QB they dumped win in the Wild Card round.

Jimmy Watkins is high as fuck if he thinks that's the right way to do things.  Probably one of these Brown's homers that was selling Tim Couch and Chris Palmer and them bringing Run DMC and all the lockeroom upgrades was soon going to dominate the NFL and us poor Mike Brown led Cincinnati Bengals stood no chance.

3 years and 4-44?  That's even worse than Mike Brown's 1991-1993 and he wasn't investing in the franchise until his tax problem and stadium situation was resolved.  That's just bad.  But those dumb ass Browns fans keep coming back.   As long as they can get into the Muni lot and drink themselves into generational poverty, woof woof.

• Haha 1

Shocked to see McArthy back.   A little Marvin Lewis situation going on there.   Its unlikely going to get better for the Cowboys.    Marvin's high point was 2015.   For a variety of reasons post season success eluded him again.   Again and Again the Bengals tried to put the band back together and seemingly got worse.

Marvin chasing post season success led to some offseason drafts and extension the Zac Taylor era would have to recover from.  

Good luck to the Cowboys but I think a bold Head Coaching change would have been better to save whatever window is left of the Dak, Pollard, CeeDee era.  It can fall apart quickly.

Callahan going back for interview #2 with the Titans.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2024/1/17/24042245/titans-coach-search-brian-callahan-interviews-bengals

As the story notes, all interviews up to this point are by rule virtual. No in-person interviews until next week, which is what this will be. So he isn't necessarily a shoe-in, but obviously they like him.

McCarthy and Tomlin both coming back.  I did not see that coming.

And Belichick getting a new HC job - that doesn’t surprise me, but I think it is a mistake.  

One caveat - if you just want Belichick to come in and culture shock your dysfunctional organization, yes I get that.  Two years of him doing that, then get a new person who can build on that.

But thinking he’s going to come in and suddenly turn around a mediocre team?  Wake up.  Enjoy having Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels as your coordinators.  Because that’s what he’ll do.  Any free agents want to play for those guys?  Hell no, they are basically universally disliked by players.  

Joe could be planning a big family.  Rivers has like ten kids.  Ryan Fitzpatrick has 7 kids.  

Or it could just be the dominos falling on the extreme end of the American dream spectrum.  Strike it rich.  Buy giant house.  Ten years later you sit in your giant house and go, “why do I own this giant fucking house?”

Joe Mixon is his neighbor.     Hey, no nerf gun fights with your nephews, alright? 

7,300 square foot with 4 bedrooms?  

I'm more of a condo guy myself but if I had a house this big I would insist on having dinner with one of those 100 foot long dinner tables.   I'd make Zac sit at one end and myself at the other and communicate via helmet mic.

• Haha 1

The house across from Mixon is currently listed for $4,495,000 million.

I think Burrow's house is down the street where they are building newer homes.
Still close though.  Mixon has a full basketball court, pool and half a football field in his back yard.

Really nice views of the river in that neighborhood.