2024 Offseason News Thread

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

But volcom is probably right, they likely aren't making any moves.

The Brown family gonna spend a couple decades riding the wave of credibility our two good seasons bought them.  

Is the offensive consistency really coordinator driven?   Or is it the fact they rely upon Joe Burrow at the LOS a lot and he hasn't been available to practice in August for two years?    Then somehow an average at best OL plays better football post bye week almost every year.

The early season stats are just way different than what they do post bye week.     I think the work they aren't doing in OTAs and TC are the issue.   Zac does not put them in pads for benefit of the player.  

23 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Hmmm only two good seasons since 2003.  Tough crowd.

I guess it would depend on how a given fan wants to view a "good" season.
If they view good as regular season wins, regardless of postseason wins, they have had many.
If they view it based on postseason success, 2021 and 2022 are the only beacons of success since not only 2003, but all the way back to 1990.  Mind you, I don't really care how someone wants to view it, just saying.

4 hours ago, volcom69 said:

I would be ok with Brady, but my guess is would be the QB coach Dan Pitcher. Burrow loves that guy and truthfully I think he would be really good in that position. So I actually wouldn’t mind if Brian I like him, but think they would be ok.

Sounds like they are not going to get rid of any coaches. 

Yeah, Pitcher probably is in line for that one here.  Not sure why I forgot him.
I simply remember Burrow praising Joe Brady when the Bills made him their interim offensive coordinator.
Given their previous history and Burrow's obvious respect for him, like I said, he jumped in my head.
Like everything else during the off season, it's a wait and see.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Didn't he come from the Raiders?

Was with the Pats & Eagles. He did interview for the Raiders job in 2022, I guess they were impressed enough to take another look now.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Hmmm only two good seasons since 2003.  Tough crowd.

I know it.  I just got tired of the Marvin and Andy show.  Every big game, every playoff game, every prime time game.  Wore me out.  

Absolute dullest post season storyline:

Kraft and Belichick will meet and determine the future of the Belichick era in New England!  

So exciting.  Two dried up old geezers will harumph at each other across a table for a couple hours.  If only they’d sell tickets.

• Haha 1

Pollack is the guy that needs to go, I have no clue why he is still here. The o-line is the most inconsistent thing I have ever seen. Not to mention has he really even coached anyone up to be really good? I mean Volson is ok, but they bought everyone else, and the guys he had coached up SUCK!! Why is this guy still here!

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Best headline of the offseason so far (from ESPN):

Aaron Rodgers: Jets need to flush the B.S. to win in 2024

I am in total agreement! The big turd named Aaron Rogers needs to be flushed asap!

I honestly thought the Jets were going to be a team to compete with Rodgers as the QB, then he got hurt and things got weird.
It's whatever at this point, but they have him through 2024.  They still need to be looking at a QB for the future.

Rodgers is a headcase at this point, despite me thinking he's still an above average QB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Interesting note, as part of the league’s minority hiring program, if the Raiders hire Brown the Bengals get a bonus 3rd round pick this year and next year.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2023-all-rookie-team-cj-stroud-puka-nacua-kobie-turner-and-more

Jordan Battle made the PFF all rookie team.  Dude’s a player!  The article said:

”Battle ranks second among rookie safeties with 524 snaps played and an 82.5 overall PFF grade. The latter figure is a top-10 mark in the NFL and leads all Bengals defenders regardless of position.

Battle is one of five NFL safeties with a 75-plus PFF grade in run defense and coverage (Antoine Winfield Jr., Jabrill Peppers, Jessie Bates III and Jevon Holland).”

CTB and Battle ought to be the young players that set the tone in the defensive backfield. We can only hope Dax Hill finds his way, because it was a bit rough for him. The jury is still out on Turner, who started great and finished poorly. Rookie stuff.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stripes said:

CTB and Battle ought to be the young players that set the tone in the defensive backfield. We can only hope Dax Hill finds his way, because it was a bit rough for him. The jury is still out on Turner, who started great and finished poorly. Rookie stuff.

Hill is great in the box, he’s just not a deep guy. They need to find someone, preferably a vet in FA, not named Nick Scott. Goodberry was all over this in his video yesterday.

Battle is better deep than Hill, just wish he had more speed. But as COB noted he was great this season.

8 hours ago, Stripes said:

It was rough for Battle too.   I'm not sure what PFF is grading.  Battle was involved in several bad pursuit angles that led to bigger gains almost every week it seemed.

I think CTB, Dax, and Battle all have tremendous upside, IMO. 

I agree with all of this talk about the secondary.
I like CTB, Dax and Battle a lot and think they continue to get better.
I think getting another vet safety would be very helpful.

However, I also think they need to address CB in the draft or FA.
Awuzie is a free agent and hasn't really come back from injury.
If he continues on his current trend, he's done.

I don't see much of anything happening at DE and can't say that bothers me.
DT and LB however have questions to answer and/or holes to fill as well.

I'm more confident heading into this offseason at this point than I was at the start of the season.
Oh, and I want the coaching questions answered sooner rather than later.

On 1/9/2024 at 8:11 AM, HoosierCat said:

while the Giants are moving on from DC Wink Martindale and two of his top assistants

But wait, there's more! Or less, I'm not sure. It appears the status of Martindale is, to say the least, unclear.

Angered that the team was firing two of his closest lieutenants, New York Giants defensive coordinator Wink Martindale cursed out coach Brian Daboll during a meeting Monday, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The New York Post reported that Martindale "said his piece, got up, slammed the door and walked out of the building" after the Giants fired outside linebackers coach Drew Wilkins and defensive assistant Kevin Wilkins. Both had come over with Martindale from Baltimore, and Drew Wilkins was considered Martindale's right-hand man.

The rocky relationship between Daboll and Martindale is at the center of an impending split. It was reported in November that the two were in a "bad place."

A source said they expected Martindale to resign following Monday's incident. The Giants had still not heard from Martindale as of Tuesday evening. He returned to his home in Sarasota, Florida, on Tuesday afternoon.

Martindale has one year left on his contract. The Post reported he is owed $3 million.

We may be a couple decades removed from the worst of times, but it's still nice when other teams are the shitshow, not us.

Cochran re-signed.

The Bengals today re-signed OT Devin Cochran to a one-year contract extension through the 2024 season.

Cochran, who will be a second-year player in 2024, originally was a college free agent signee of the Bengals in 2022. He spent his rookie season on Cincinnati's practice squad, then spent the 2023 campaign on the Reserve/Injured list with a knee injury.

They also signed a bunch of taxi squad guys to futures contracts.

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-roster-moves-players-signed-reserve-future-contracts-2024