2023 Draft Talking Points

What happens at RT is the big question I have going into the draft.
Do they talk Jonah into stop being a 14 year old girl?
Do they trade Jonah?
Do they roll with one of the multiple turds in the RT mix currently on the roster?
Do they draft a RT in the first round?

I think answering the RT question allows for a better understanding of what they will do in the draft.

Bad news, Army:

CINCINNATI — Potential Bengals first-round pick Calijah Kanceyrevealed on NFL Now that he hasn't taken a top-30 visit with any NFL team leading up to the draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/calijah-kancey-reveals-he-has-not-taken-any-top-30-visits

When looking at the one from Fornelli:

Mazi Smith in the first round over Kancey, who is still on the board?  Mazi Smith in the first round even?
Yeah, I might wreck my TV over that one.

My question I always like to ask again is, "Who else was on the board?"
Well, in this case, the best RB prospect in many years and we take a pass despite our concerns there.
Bijan Robinson would make me stop  in my tracks to consider what the hell we are doing if he was still on the board.

When looking at the next one (The 7 rounder) from Edwards:

The Bengals take my boy Kancey out of Pittsburgh.  YES !!  Great when considering who else was on the board.

Bergeron in the 2nd isn't bad, but I would have rather had TE Musgrave, RB Charbonnet, CB Ricks at that point.
Since we missed on the top end TE's, they throw TE Allen from Clemson at us in the 3rd, despite WR A.T. Perry still being there. Then OT Steen and RB Achane as well.
A backup QB in the 4th huh?  FUCK NO !!  Especially not with DE Harrison still on the board.  OT Freeland and CB Valentine are still there as well.

I don't mind the CB in the 5th going with Jones, but would have waited for the QB spot and taken Thompson-Robinson here.

Stupid late round WR pick in the 6th.
Finally addressing the DE spot in the 7th.

BY THE WAY...  I think he totally forgot DE Andre Carter from Army

Working in retrospect from Edwards' mock, I would have:

1. DT Kancey, Pittsburgh
2. TE Musgrave, Oregon State
3. DE Carter, Army
4. OT Freeland, BYU
5. QB Thompson-Robinson, UCLA
6. CB Brown, Ohio State
7. WR Bell, Michigan

• Like 1

Mayer may be the only TE I'd consider at 28.

The OT's and DT's left all will have bigger question marks than say, the CB's that may fall to them (i.e. Banks and Forbes).  That includes Darnell Wright, Mauch's level of competition, and Anton Harrison not really being what they need at RT (finesse LT).  Broderick Jones might be the only OT to consider there if he falls that far, fits Pollack's type, as does Mauch.

Have a feeling Kancey's going to fall into the 2nd (at least) due to his size concerns and short arms.  I don't think Myles Murphy will be there, but I'm sure he's in-play.

There should be a few solid starting CB's in the 2nd as well, in addition to TE's, just like they got CTB last year.

Maybe they trade-down in the 1st.

Maybe they just go BPA sans QB and WR at 28, and end-up with someone like Gibbs if he falls that far.  With the Mixon situation and Perine gone, more and more I'm thinking RB is  a priority., but Robinson and Gibbs are the only 2 worth a 1st round pick  I think.

Late 1st round picks I guess are always hard to narrow-down.

• Like 1

Matt Miller goes the distance behind the ESPN plus paywall.

28. Cincinnati Bengals

DJ Turner, CB, Michigan

If you're looking for one position that needs an upgrade to get the Bengals back to the Super Bowl, it's cornerback. And Turner -- who ran a combine-best 4.26 secondsin the 40-yard-dash -- has the tools to be great. He dominates at the line of scrimmage in press coverage and has the speed to run in-phase with the best receivers in the AFC.

60. Cincinnati Bengals

Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State

The Bengals have thrown assets at the tight end position but haven't found an every-down player yet. Musgrave could change that. Despite coming off a knee injury, the 6-foot-6 senior ran a 4.61 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He didn't have great production in college (just three touchdowns), but his positional traits and upside are that of a starting NFL tight end. Irv Smith Jr. joined the Bengals, but he is mostly an "F" tight end, so Musgrave could see starting snaps early on.

92. Cincinnati Bengals

Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane

With Joe Mixon's future uncertain in Cincinnati, the Bengals can grab a speedy back with the second gear to take it to the house on outside plays. Spears is a hard-charging runner who gets to full speed in a hurry. Even as a third-rounder, he could get starter reps in the near future.

131. Cincinnati Bengals: Christopher Smith, S, Georgia

163. Cincinnati Bengals: Sidy Sow, G, Eastern Michigan

206. Cincinnati Bengals: Ryan Hayes, OT, Michigan

246. Cincinnati Bengals: Cory Durden, DT, NC State

Guys still on the board at 28 include Adebawore, Branch, Gibbs, Harrison, Hiatt, White, Bresee and McDonald IV. Turner would be fine but if you prefer another direction there’s lots to choose from.

Guys still there at 60 include Dawand (goes at 61), Foskey, LaPorta and Charbonnet.

Spears is fine. Most of the late guys seem like throwaway picks except maybe Hayes. Sounds like he could develop into something.

Tanier's three-round projection:

Cincinnati Bengals

28. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
60. Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
92. Nick Hampton, ER, Appalachian State

The Bengals would be an ideal landing spot for Bijan Robinson or Darnell Washington. Someone is going to yell Damn the Analytics, Full Speed Ahead! sometime between picks 8 and 18 and select Bijan, however, and the Bengals probably won't be nimble enough to trade themselves into range. The Bills jump ahead of the Bengals in this mock for Washington because the Bills have a larger fanbase and I want clicks they have a knack for bold, Von Miller-esque, one-player-away moves.

Michael Mayer is one heck of a consolation prize for Bijan and Bigfoot: he blocks well enough to contribute in a limited-target role, and Bengals fans who remember Tyler Eifert understand the virtues of a central-casting Notre Dame tight end.

Emmanuel Forbes is a light-as-a-feather, tough-as-trigonometry interception machine to bolster the cornerback depth. Nick Hampton is small but twitchy, frenetic, and relentless. He'll probably max out as a role player, but chasing down Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen as a blitz-package defender in a playoff game is certainly a role.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2023/mike-taniers-final-three-round-mock-draft

Had to see Forbes lasting until 60. I've seen some mocks with him going early to mid-first. Hampton is an intriguing role player. Lou would have fun with him.

7 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Matt Miller goes the distance behind the ESPN plus paywall.

Guys still on the board at 28 include Adebawore, Branch, Gibbs, Harrison, Hiatt, White, Bresee and McDonald IV. Turner would be fine but if you prefer another direction there’s lots to choose from.

Guys still there at 60 include Dawand (goes at 61), Foskey, LaPorta and Charbonnet.

Spears is fine. Most of the late guys seem like throwaway picks except maybe Hayes. Sounds like he could develop into something.

“If you're looking for one position that needs an upgrade to get the Bengals back to the Super Bowl, it's cornerback.” - Matt Miller

I admit I don’t know Matt Miller, and I have no animosity towards Matt Miller.  Matt Miller is a complete fucking dunce if he thinks CB is our biggest upgrade need.  Left Tackle is our biggest upgrade need, and it’s not even close.

1 hour ago, COB said:

“If you're looking for one position that needs an upgrade to get the Bengals back to the Super Bowl, it's cornerback.” - Matt Miller

I admit I don’t know Matt Miller, and I have no animosity towards Matt Miller.  Matt Miller is a complete fucking dunce if he thinks CB is our biggest upgrade need.  Left Tackle is our biggest upgrade need, and it’s not even close.

Well, they did sign Orlando Brown so they kind of covered that whole LT thing. That said I think you can make a case that TE, RB and a pass rusher are bigger needs than CB.

On 4/21/2023 at 11:58 AM, HoosierCat said:

I would think they'd have to draft RB Robinson in that scenario.   That would be the director I would want them to go.

• Like 1

Just about any position can be justified as a "need" when factoring next year's Free Agents.    As far as coming in and grabbing snaps TE and RB would be a top the list, IMO.   But this is a good CB class and I would love to grab one at 28.  

Turner from Michigan would be awesome and you know they've been in that film and around that facility for a while since they drafted Hill last year.     Forbes might be a first rounder now,  he's getting a lot of mentions lately.

Mel’s put out his final top 150 list. Prospects in the 28 range:

26. Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
27. Lukas Van Ness, DE, Iowa
28. Calijah Kancey, DT, Pitt
29. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
30. Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

At 60:

58. Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa
59. Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M
60. Derick Hall, OLB, Auburn
61. O'Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida
62. Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA