2023 Draft Talking Points

Mel goes with Darnell Washington in his third mock. Mayer and Kincaid go earlier. Steelers take a corner (Banks) and Baltimore gets Zay Flowers.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35898637/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-post-free-agency-first-round-predictions-31-picks-third-version

It would not surprise me to see them wait on an OT and let the combo of Carman and Ford battle out for the RT spot in the hopes of Collins coming back early (he won't).  In regards to an interior D-lineman, I agree with the need and would have no issue with adding one at #28.  I still don't think Carter falls that far regardless of personal issues.  I'm really not a fan of Bresee as he's not very dynamic and has injury concerns.  Kancey I'm totally 100% all in on, just not thinking he makes it to us at #28.  After that it's kind of a mixed bag for me.

CB is another position I look at the same way.  All the top end guys are gone and then it's a mixed bag for a player at the #28 spot.  Do you reach or take a higher rated guy at another position?

Jumping back to OT, I would have no problem with Wright from Tennessee.  Initially I wanted a guy that could come in at RT and then possibly transition to LT when Jonah left.  That's out with the addition of Brown, so give me the best RT there is.  However, it doesn't appear that's what the Bengals are thinking.

TE just seems like one of those positions where there will be a player they view as being worthy of investing a 1st round pick on.  An outlier for me at #28 should everything else go to shit is RB.

Then again, seeing as how I have no idea what the hell happens in the front office and the draft room, I could be completely off and they end up taking a WR or some shit like that...

Hey TJ, I'm right there with you.

I would MUCH rather have a RT at #28 that we could count on for the next 5 years.
Or give me that impact CB or DT at that spot before TE.  All day long.

My only point at this moment (God knows it could very well shake out differently) is that the impact guys at either OT, CB or DT will be gone by #28 and we are reaching for a 2nd or 3rd tier type of player.  I would prefer the impact, top tier TE and then grab from those other spots starting in round 2.

Again, all this can and most likely will change. 
Signing Moreau would be enough to make me wait on TE until later.

yeah, we'll have to wait to see who falls

hopefully, its a ORT or a 3TDT, or even a DE

I'd rather get a 3 down TE over a CB, as we have 4 starting quality corners, but hopefully one of those top 3 needs will be addressed

If it is a TE at 28, he has to be productive, durable, and a 3 down player.  All three downs.

We do need a punter to push Crisman.  I think Crisman can put himself right, but I dont KNOW if he will or not.  So we need a top punter to push him.  R6 or 7.

and a running back who can catch and block.  another Perine.  r4 or 5.

19 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I would probably rather have Kancey or Branch in that mock.    While TE isn't a big focus in the offense,  Boyd will be a Free Agent after his year.   That would free up some targets/snaps for a pass catching TE, if they go that route.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Hey TJ, I'm right there with you.

I would MUCH rather have a RT at #28 that we could count on for the next 5 years.
Or give me that impact CB or DT at that spot before TE.  All day long.

My only point at this moment (God knows it could very well shake out differently) is that the impact guys at either OT, CB or DT will be gone by #28 and we are reaching for a 2nd or 3rd tier type of player.  I would prefer the impact, top tier TE and then grab from those other spots starting in round 2.

Again, all this can and most likely will change. 
Signing Moreau would be enough to make me wait on TE until later.

That's just it.  They have no faith in drafting an OT that could be around for the next 5 years.   Whatever local scribe spouted that nugget of information was dead on.   I would not mind an OT at #28,  I just don't see them doing it.

I get that as well, they have absolutely shit the bed more often than not when it comes to getting an o-lineman in here that they can develop into a starter.  They either draft a guy that has the ability and will work at his craft (Volson) or they get some guy that is a turd and always will be (Carman).

All that being said, you still can't just avoid it and hope a player figures it out and/or have free agency as your go to plan.  Lets be honest, if Jonah Williams had lived up to his draft spot and they weren't looking at having to dump a ton of cash into him as a free agent while being average at best, Brown would never have been a consideration.  I think that's another aspect that pisses me off about Jonah.  It's like, dude, you aren't better than this guy... shut up.

I would still have no issue with Darnell Wright, RT, Tennessee at #28.

I dont think that a team can shy away from drafting at a position of need simply because they havent have a hit there in a while

another way to look at it is that they are due a success here after the Carmans and Oogies and etc

that said, I'd prefer a pass rushing 3TDT here over all others, but yeah, if one isnt there at 28, it'd be best to address another need with a better player......as long as it isnt a rb

Mem:  I cant make any promises other than I will try to think - why did they take this player here? - before commenting. 

You would be mad at that?

Are you having me on?

He gives us the top RT in the draft in Darnell Wright, who would absolutely start day 1 - then an excellent CB in round 2, one of the very athletic and high rising TEs in Kuntz in R3 and a RB in round 4.

Sign me the fuck up for that draft right now. 

Wright is fine but predicated on moving Jonah, which seems more fantasy than reality right now. Better choices available in that event. Stevenson is meh, again better choices available. Kuntz is a developmental prospect in round 3 - no. Gray is slow Mixon.

I like Darnell Wright at OT in the first.  He's a true RT and probably better than any option currently on the roster.

Quentin Johnson going in the 2nd round is hilarious !!

CB Tyrique Stevenson over RB Jahmyr Gibbs would have to be viewed as a reach, but could be worse.
I would prefer Gibbs in that scenario.  GIve me the #2 RB over the #6 CB.

I'm a fan of TE Zack Kuntz.  That wouldn't bother me either.

Instead of S Brandon Hill in the 4th, give me WR A.T. Perry out of Wake Forest if Higgins doesn't come back.

So my turn out in this scenario would look like:
1. Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
2. Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama
3. Zack Kuntz, TE, Old Dominion
4. A.T. Perry, WR, Wake Forest

Nope, wouldn't blink an eye.