2023 Draft Talking Points

The biggest problem with Dawand in Reid's draft is that there's an embarrassment of riches still on the table at 28, including Mayer (and Kincaid and Washington), Bresee, Adebawore, Brian Branch, Cam Smith, Gibbs, and OTs Bergeron and Freeland. It just screams "trade down."

So with pff's simulator going mostly behind the paywall, let's try profootballnetwork's. Boy this thing just loves to propose trades. Results:

44. Dawand Jones

60. DJ Turner, CB, Michigan

75. Sam Laporta

98. Jaquelin Roy, DT, LSU

140. Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State

163. Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas

246. Malik Cunningham, QB, Louisville

Also got the Raiders 2nd next year.

So I think Hoosier mentioned Profootball Network’s mock draft simulator and so was playing around with it, with a different caveat.

What if the Bengals DON’T takE an offensive tackle in the draft and either roll with what they have or get someone in a trade with Jonah or during cutdowns? Well… this is how it turned out.

TRADE DOWN TO #33 WITH TEXANS:
In return, the Bengals get pick #88.

#33- Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh
#60- Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Miss. St.
#88- Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
#92- Andre Carter, DE, Army
#131- Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston
#163- Dorian Thompson-Robinson, QB, UCLA
#206- Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas St.
#246- Michael Turk, P, Oklahoma

I honestly love every one of those picks.

• Like 1

McShay again. This time he goes with CB Deonte Banks.

The top two tight ends are off the board, which means we're looking at the other side of the ball for the Bengals. The secondary already lost Jessie Bates III, and Eli Apple is still unsigned. Chidobe Awuzie has only one year left on his deal. So padding the defense with an explosive and physical press corner would be a win for Cincinnati this late in Round 1. Banks only had one interception last season, but he broke up 10 passes and showed off his physical traits at the combine by finishing in the top three at the position in the 40-yard dash, vertical jump and broad jump.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/36047541/2023-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-predictions-rounds-1-2-including-63-pick-projections-five-quarterback-landing-spots-two-trades

Next three picks are DE, DE and DE, so this would probably send Shula into screaming fits. I think I might prefer one, say Will McDonald, here too.

Second round he goes OT with Matthew Bergeron. Certainly good value there. 

On 4/4/2023 at 3:49 PM, HoosierCat said:

Would be fine in the 2nd round with me, if he's there.  I agree with Prisco that he is under-valued by draft nerds, but with his ceiling and after signing Smith,  probably not at 28.   

Hobson hates you all and wants you to know it.

28.BENGALS _ TE Darnell Washington, Georgia; Geoff Hobson, Bengals.com

It's not so much predicting the pick, it's projecting the potential universe of players at the Bengals' disposal from which they make the pick. Using a gaggle of draft big boards from out in the universe and their needs, it may look something like this:

Washington, Oklahoma tackle Anton Harrison, Pittsburgh defensive tackle Calijah Kancey, Michigan defensive tackle Mazi Smith, Iowa State defensive end Will McDonald IV, Mississippi cornerback Emmanuel Forbes and others, of course.

But the reality is, the player they're going to end up with is probably one of the 27 preceding names. As they found out last year when Michigan safety Dax Hill was there at No. 31, somebody always seems to be there whom you had rated higher than where you're picking.

The nice thing is, just like last year, the Bengals are drafting for depth and development. They don't need an Opening Day starter at No. 28.

If Washington or Jones (Dawan) fell, at this point, I'd be good with either I think.   CB at #28 makes me nervous, relying on that much inexperience among all the DB's if drafting a projected starter.   But I know what else they're going to do, need one in top 3 rounds regardless. 

Yeah, but you know me.  I'm one of the football dorks who loves the draft.
My son is pumped to see who the Texans take with their first two picks and I usually watch with him.
Sucks I'm going to miss that time, but yes, should be good for the Bengals pick.
It's the anticipation I enjoy leading into the pick as well.

• Like 1