2023 Draft Talking Points

Mel goes two deep. First he makes TJ and Shula happy:

28. Cincinnati Bengals

Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson

We've focused a lot on the Bengals' need at tight end, but what if they think they filled it with often-injured veteran Irv Smith Jr.? This is the direction they could go if that's the case. Cincinnati ranked 29th in sacks last season (30), and it needs to get more of an interior push on late downs. Bresee could provide that. At 6-foot-5, 298 pounds, he tested extremely well at the combine. He's powerful at the point of attack and is instinctual after the snap. This is another team without many holes, so it can afford to select a player who might not start immediately.

Kancey, McDonald, Harrison all still on the board here as options. They go over the next few selections.

At 60, Mel probably pisses everyone off with this:

60. Cincinnati Bengals

Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

Joe Mixon had a disappointing 2022 season, and the Bengals struggled to run the ball. They averaged just 3.8 yards per carry, which ranked 29th in the league. At 6-foot, 214 pounds, Charbonnet is tough and patient between the tackles. He doesn't have breakaway speed, so he likely won't ever be a big-play threat. He could be a stellar goal-line back, though. He also caught 37 passes last season, showing soft hands.

I’m not convinced Charbonnet brings anything not already on the Bengals’ roster. That said, if you wanted to just dump Mixon and his salary and plug in a rook, you could do it here I suppose.

If the question was name ONE player currently thought to be a "potential" first round pick that you think is completely overhyped and will end up being a bust, my answer would easily be Bryan Bresee.  I don't even know if number 2 on my list is in visual distance of this dude.

He has had both an ACL and shoulder surgeries while in college, doesn't strike me as a difference maker with sacks or even collapsing the pocket, and appears to just eat space despite playing at less than 300 pounds.

I have watched Clemson play many times this year and you could probably watch highlights of him and see the same thing I think I saw.  He seems to not get any push on the line, doesn't beat his man much, and players run into him as opposed to him running into players.  He just wraps up what's been given to him instead of going out for the kill.

If someone likes him, great.  I'm simply not one of them.  Give me Kancey ALL DAY LONG in that scenario.

A player that no one talks much about that I really like is Drew Sanders from Arkansas.
Believe it or not, I'm not begging for a linebacker for a change, but if they went that route, this is the dude.
I think Hoosier may have mentioned him at one point.  If so, props to you Hoosier !!

Sanders is a phenomenal talent, but I think that ship may have sailed with the Pratt re-signing. Mel has him going 8 picks into the second here. 

I like Kancey over Bresee too, and oddly so does Mel, who ranks him just above Bresee on his top DL list. Even odder, Mel ranks Achane right above Charbonnet, too, and gives us the latter despite the former still being available. Don’t know what’s up with that.

My larger problem is that the pick after Charbonnet is Jaquelin Roy, who is almost as promising a DL prospect as Bresee. And between 28 and 60 TE, OT and CB get picked clean in Mel’s mock. Going for any one of those in the first, Roy in the second and best RB available in the third seems like a better strategy here. I know, hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but still…

It's an interesting concept and I've said this many times in the past.
"Who else was on the board?"

So lets say we take TE Meyer at #28.

Then I see that Darnell Wright was still on the board and I may think getting a starting RT was a better option.
So now I may dislike that pick.
Maybe both Wright and Kancey are on the board and now I fucking hate Meyer like he killed my dog.

However, maybe all of those guys are gone and other positions of need represent some pretty decent reaches to take in the first round.  Now I'm in love with Meyer and we are going back to the Super Bowl.

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

If the question was name ONE player currently thought to be a "potential" first round pick that you think is completely overhyped and will end up being a bust, my answer would easily be Bryan Bresee.  

A couple hours after he played in the 2021 Cheee-It Bowl Bryan Bresee texted me to see if I needed any help with my gutters.  I was like, no I’m good.  

5 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm happy to see one of the QB's I think would be a nice add in later rounds will be getting a visit.
Dorian Thompson-Robinson in today and tomorrow.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/11/dorian-thompson-robinson-in-cincinnati-meeting-with-bengals/

Agree.  He would likely prefer a flimsier starting QB situation though, I'm guessing.  

Don't disagree, although he has a ton of experience in college obviously (was a fan of his coming out of HS as the #1 player and watched most of the UCLA games).

I can't get into Forbes at #28.

Wright won't make it to 28.

I do not like Kincaid in the 1st (health/longevity/blocking concerns),  would be an ideal 2nd or 3rd round TE IMO, but this team needs a blocker.

I have to think they're just going to go with the BPA at a position of need (i.e. not QB or WR) in the 1st.  

Even Torrence for the LG need is a possibility I guess,  but am guessing they're still leaning on Volson and have that position reduced on the board.

I have to admit I want offense in the first 2 rounds, despite all the DB losses.  TE, OT, OG, RB, all serious needs now and in the future.  But I am guessing replacing soon-to-be-departed DEF players may be more of a priority based on the Bengals' recent past drafts.   I hate drafting 1st round guys at any spot who are meant to replace a future FA, just for that reason, like Hill.  Stop being so married to some of these mediocre players, draft their replacements,  i.e. the o-line.  Find the guy who will make the most impact, period, just that, not cap management B.S..

• Like 1

If most impact is the top priority, then on offense I would argue its RB. TE would be nice but Burrow has plenty of targets and they just spent big on OL with Brown.

On defense it would be pass rushing DL/edge. CB is always good if there’s a guy there.

Just to pass the time, interesting quasi-mock from Miller and Reid over at ESPN. They make two picks for each team, one based on need and one on BPA. Their Bengals selections:

Miller's pick that fills a big need: DJ Turner, CB, Michigan

Depending on what happens with offensive tackle Jonah Williams, who requested a trade after the team signed Orlando Brown Jr. to play left tackle, the Bengals' biggest need could end up being right tackle. But for now, it's cornerback, where Eli Apple & Co. were picked on in the playoffs last season. Mike Hilton is a star in the slot, but an outside cornerback is a Day 1 priority. Turner has great speed and could help.

Reid's pick that gets best value: Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State

Yes, I'm higher on Jones than most. But I'm basing this off my board, and I have him ranked at No. 28 overall. Plus, the Bengals could form the biggest set of offensive tackles in the league by complementing Brown with the 6-foot-8, 374-pound Jones. And the pick would give quarterback Joe Burrow a nice boost in protection should Williams get traded.

I don’t know anyone else who had Jones ranked that high so I’d have to question best value there. But that said I would take either guy.

8 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yes, my son.  The draft will get here.
Now go say 10 Hail Mary's and stop playing with yourself so much.

I knew it!  I just knew it.  I have so many questions.  

First, when you said that to follow you I had to hate my mother, my father, and my life  (“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.” Luke 14:26)  is just plain burning rage-filled hatred enough? I mean, I can probably swing that in regards to my parents.  Hate my own life?  Well, I am a long-time bengals fan.  

• Haha 1

God knows how they find these players.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1647669089672757255?s=20

"UPDATE: Slippery Rock defensive back Kevin Hyde has been invited to the Cincinnati #Bengals Local Pro Day on the 18th, source says.

is a two-time All-Great Midwest Athletic Conference honoree while playing at Tiffin University. Hyde has drawn interest from multiple teams during the pre-draft process, per league sources"

Darnell Washington seems like a good 3rd round pick/gamble, not so much a day one guy IMO.  

Everyone is WRONG about Darnell Washington

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ocL9u9H74&t=183s

UPDATE: Tiffin University defensive back Tyler Richardson has met with the Houston #Texans, Washington #Commanders and the Dallas #Cowboys at his Pro Day, source says. Richardson was invited to the Cincinnati #Bengals Local Day on Tuesday, per league sources.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1647761442420977665

So Todd and Mel did an alternating pick three rounds. Todd is up at 28:

McShay's pick: Julius Brents, CB, Kansas State

I'm guessing this will be a bit of a surprise, but I love this dude's tape. And I just moved Brents up to No. 27 overall on my board. He is tall and long, and he can smother receivers in press coverage. The Bengals really need some help in that area.

I’m sorry but this would be a ridiculous reach. It’s amazing how many mocks are like this one, perfectly normal up until the Bengals pick, then something stupid. Oh and this means passing on DEs Murphy and McDonald, S Branch and CB Turner. Seriously, fuck off, Todd.

At 60 it’s McShay again:

McShay's pick: Matthew Bergeron, OT/G, Syracuse

The Bengals signed Orlando Brown Jr. to end their pass-protection woes once and for all. But if Jonah Williams gets traded, the issues could pop right back up. Bergeron has the quicks and strength to provide depth at offensive tackle; but he also could play guard despite seeing just five snaps there in college.

I don’t hate this, but if OT is still important enough to the Bengals to spend a second rounder on, why reach for a corner at 28? Just take Harrison or Dawand, both of whom were available back then? Then you could have swept up Cam Smith here.

And Todd rounds it out at 92 with:

McShay's pick: Ji'Ayir Brown, S, Penn State

Cincinnati plugged the Jessie Bates III hole at safety with Nick Scott in free agency, but there are still some question marks at the position on the Bengals' depth chart. Watch a few minutes of Brown's tape and you'll be wowed by his instincts and recognition skills. I think he could move around the defense and contribute as a rookie.

Arguably the best pick of the three but overall I don’t like this draft much at all.

• Like 1

That draft through 3, while fine, would not move the needled much for me.

That would be the first time I've seen Brents name higher than the 3rd round and mostly later. I don't have any issues with him, but at 28?  Not really interested.  Isn't Bergeron a LT?  Looks like he's had a handful of starts at RT, but mostly a LT.  Pinning the hopes of him becoming the day 1 starter at RT is probably no better than any of the other guys currently on the roster, so I will pass on him.  So to now they have reached for a guy and taken a LT with the hopes of him competing for the RT spot.  How do they follow that up?  Of course with a pick that has zero chance of starting in 2023 and probably not seeing the field much at all.  While coming off an injury, the Bengals did take Tycen Anderson last year and the coaches were really high on him.

This draft would not give me much to smile about and, as always, needing to answer the, "Who else was on the board?" question.

Suck it McShay...

• Like 2