2023 Draft Talking Points

There’s a lot to like about these tight ends in the draft. Big, fast, good hands, etc…

I can’t help but wonder the impact of Burrow for a rookie TE. Meaning, he demands the best of players and knows how to get the ball to them. 

Remember when Peyton Manning got in guys no one heard of and they were really good in their offense? That’s how I see Burrow. Get him a young TE and let him turn him into something special.

I still like Kincaid a lot. Something about that dude. Mud graves is another I could see doing really well here. 

20 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

There’s a lot to like about these tight ends in the draft. Big, fast, good hands, etc…

I can’t help but wonder the impact of Burrow for a rookie TE. Meaning, he demands the best of players and knows how to get the ball to them. 

Remember when Peyton Manning got in guys no one heard of and they were really good in their offense? That’s how I see Burrow. Get him a young TE and let him turn him into something special.

I still like Kincaid a lot. Something about that dude. Mud graves is another I could see doing really well here. 

My issue with Kincaid is his back injury,  not very physical, worried about another 1st round injurry situation, sub par blocking.  Great rec'r, but injury and beating he took college worry me.  

Whyle is someone not to sleep on in the 2nd or 3rd maybe (too high? 3rd sounds right to me I guess).   Decent blocker too.   Hometown guy from LaSalle and Bearcat.     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_F4h2A0AWE

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Josh-Whyle-TE-Cincinnati

blocking highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYeLuz09ZxU

"BYU OL Blake Freeland was put through drills by #Jets, #Bengals, and #Saints coaches today at his pro day,

wrote here remember, NYJ worked out Luke Wypler and Paris Johnson at OSU’s pro day the other day. showing obvious intrigue in this OL class"

https://twitter.com/jetsbyjack/status/1639419722444750851?s=20

10 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Banks and the trade don’t bother me. Not sure why we are making Mazi an offensive lineman lol. LaPorta at 92 is a pipe dream.

19 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Banks and the trade don’t bother me. Not sure why we are making Mazi an offensive lineman lol. LaPorta at 92 is a pipe dream.

That would be an A+ haul.      I don't think the Bengals would try to convert Mazi.     With out knowing what else is on the board, I would take these 3 picks.

Although they are getting Mazi about 10 spots later than most projections and LaPorta about 40 spots later.

Reuter 4 round mock

1. Darnell Wright OT Tenn - love the player.   Don't think they are going OT this early.   There are some nice prospects that go after.

2. Tyrique Stevens - CB Miami.   Love the position.  Still some good names going afterward

3. Zack Kuntz - TE ODU - As it stands they'll need a TE in this draft

4. Eric Gray - RB OK - As it stands they'll need at RB

That's my thoughts on trading draft spots when moving Jonah.

I wouldn't have concern with Banks at #24 at all, depending on who else was on the board.
I don't agree that CB is the "top" need of the Bengals either.  RT is or a top end DT pass rusher.
It's right there and why I wouldn't complain, but I would rather one of the other two if I'm picking.
Hell, tight end might be more of a need than CB.

I have no issues with Smith from Michigan, as I mentioned needs above.  Don't think he's there in the 2nd.  The IOL was nothing more than a typo, as that might be dumbest thing I've seen suggested to this point.
Again, who else was on the board?

As mentioned, I agree with the thought of LaPorta being gone, but that would be a pretty solid 1-3.

Too bad they don't have more picks in the first three rounds.  I really like the looks of this draft class overall.

The class is pretty deep at positions of need like OL and TE, and from late first through the third is pretty flat in terms of talent. Yeah they aren’t blue chippers but you should be able to find quality starters through like pick 100 this year. I would definitely look at moving out of 28 if it got us an extra 2 or 3.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Interesting on Forbes.    NFL.com mocks have him second round.   Mel just mocked 16 overall to Washington.  Tannenbaum obviously 1st to the Bengals.

Which group has the best sources?   Forbes might be to light for the Bengals as they like run support corners.  He is an athlete for sure.   If you land him and eventually pair with CTB that's an athletic pair.

The Reuter 4 round mock Bengals passing of Forbes to take Miami CB, mocks Forbes at 61. 

16 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

according to Zierlein

1) CB

2) TE

3) Edge Defender

Strongest position groups.

Which is why taking Kancey should he be available makes all the more sense.  The CB and TE positions can be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round, while competing with whatever OT prospects are there.  Honestly, I don't see them drafting a DE at this point considering the roster and where the new DE would fall in given snaps.

ESPN’s Jordan Reid goes the full seven:

1. Dawand Jones

2. Sam Laporta 

3. Isaiah McGuire, Edge, Missouri

4. Riley Moss, CB, Iowa

5. Sean Tucker, RB, Syracuse

6. Dante Stills, DT, WV

7. Mohamoud Diabate, LB, Utah

Looks reasonable to me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

So I went to take a look since I seem stuck on this point.
Thought I might educate myself before I keep yapping on about shit.

Hubbard accounted for 801 snaps for a 77% share.
Hendrickson accounted for 629 snaps for a 60% share.

Outside of those two the other DE's:
Cam Sample was 412 for 39%
Ossai was 334 for 32%
Gunter was 37 for 3%

Those guys combined didn't take the snaps that Hubbard took and I don't see that changing in 2023.  It appears they could take another DE to bolster the depth and possibly take some of the snaps from Hubbard and Hendrickson to keep them fresh, but I think they have that in house already.

Again, I could be wrong, but I just don't see the team taking a DE early on minus a trade down and them acquiring additional picks.  Even if they did that, it would open the door to consider other positions as well to include WR's which they have been looking into recently.

Just food for thought...

Always need fresh legs and juice at EDGE, Army. Have to continually infuse that position IMO. A third on Edge seems fine to me. If the right EDGE falls, would be fine with one at 28.

Another thing to consider is Hendrickson. He is in the final two years of his deal and as such the numbers have gotten a bit...lopsided. He counts $15 million against the cap this year (versus $5 million in dead money) and $17.5 million against the cap (versus $2.5 million in dead money) in 2024. He was fantastic in 2021 but not so much last season (though you can argue he got screwed regularly by the refs) and with all the giant deals on the horizon for Joe, Tee, and Chase, he could be a casualty. So DE is sort of a sneaky need, at least from a cap point of view.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

ESPN’s Jordan Reid goes the full seven:

1. Dawand Jones

2. Sam Laporta 

3. Isaiah McGuire, Edge, Missouri

4. Riley Moss, CB, Iowa

5. Sean Tucker, RB, Syracuse

6. Dante Stills, DT, WV

7. Mohamoud Diabate, LB, Utah

Looks reasonable to me.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

Reasonable for sure.   I still don't think they take RT that early.    Laporta and Moss are great picks, IMO.