2023 Draft Talking Points

You have to remember Apple was a the 3rd CB they signed that offseason and it was for 1 year.     Then they resigned him last year to 1 year deal.    

Point being he was never intended to have the major role he's filled the past 2 years.   So sure don't resign Apple because he's annoying or whatever but you better have someone in there equally as good because chances are they are going to play critical snaps.   Apple is a former top 10 pick.   I'm guessing its really not that easy to do.

Apple has been a complete bust everywhere he’s been since being drafted until he came here. Not sure the reason but he’s really turned his play around. I’m happy for the guy and wouldn’t mind him sticking for another 1-2 years. If they don’t resign him, it won’t be because he can’t shut the fuck up, but I really wish he would.

Panthers move up to No. 1.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35830753/bears-trading-no-1-overall-pick-panthers-haul-includes-wr-dj-moore-sources-say

CHICAGO -- The Bears are trading the No. 1 pick in the 2023 draft to the Panthers in exchange for four draft picks and wide receiver DJ Moore, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday.

The Bears will receive Carolina's first-round selection at No. 9, a late-second-round pick (No. 61), a 2024 first-round selection and a 2025 second-round pick, according to Schefter.

Based on first day of Free Agency.   Jawan Taylor and McGlinchy got major deals.     Jonah Williams is going to get paid and these two are not any more elite than Jonah.    Right Tackles although KC fans think Taylor will play LT.  Taylor its either 2 year for $40m or 3 years for $60m.    McGlinchey is around $17/18m.

I don't see Bengals paying that and don't think Williams is going to play well enough for Bengal fans to think he should get that.   I'm gonna say mock drafts from this point probably need to include Tackle early and maybe two total in the draft.  2024 will see an exit of Williams.  Collins is probably done already.    Carman is a critical piece but not really proven and they'll be drafting low in the first round again next year. 

The demand for edge protectors even just average ones has risen. 

I had already accounted for an OT within the first 3 rounds this year.
Sure, maybe another.  The depth across the whole o-line needs addressed.
Give me the guy that can start out at RT in 2023, with the ability to move to LT in 2024.

I'm a little concerned about having two new safeties roaming the backfield this coming season.
Dax got some reps, but not an extended amount.  Tycen Anderson was injured all year.
They seem like your typical FS (Dax) and SS (Tycen) combo and can only hope for good thing.
Replacing Bell and Bates will be no small task.  Forecasting lumps to be taken along the way.
However, not sure those lumps equate to a high round selection.  Maybe later on though.

7 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I had already accounted for an OT within the first 3 rounds this year.
Sure, maybe another.  The depth across the whole o-line needs addressed.
Give me the guy that can start out at RT in 2023, with the ability to move to LT in 2024.

I'm a little concerned about having two new safeties roaming the backfield this coming season.
Dax got some reps, but not an extended amount.  Tycen Anderson was injured all year.
They seem like your typical FS (Dax) and SS (Tycen) combo and can only hope for good thing.
Replacing Bell and Bates will be no small task.  Forecasting lumps to be taken along the way.
However, not sure those lumps equate to a high round selection.  Maybe later on though.

Agree.  Until some FA signings roll in I think Safety and overall secondary come in right with Tackle.   I do think some of those spots get filled in FA.   Sydney Brown at Safety would be great, IMO. 

Some nuggets from today's Clemson Pro Day:

All 32 teams sent people. Tomlin was the only HC to attend, along with Pitt GM Omar Kahn (plus like 4 more coaches and FO types, Pitt sent a big group).

LB Trenton Simpson, projected in the 25-50 range, worked out and continued to put up the kind of exceptional numbers he did in Indy.

EDGE Myles Murphy, who could go top 10, did not work.

Bengals sent Marion Hobby (who used to be on Clemson's staff) and also TE coach James Casey, who ran the workouts for the TEs. Of note is TE Davis Allen, who reportedly caught the ball well. He's projected as a mid-round pick.

Jalen Carter stock tumble alert: showed up to Georgia’s pro day 9 pounds heavier than he was at the combine two weeks ago, couldn’t finish drills.

Carter, who was once considered a potential No. 1 pick in April's draft, weighed 323 pounds at the pro day. He opted to do only position drills and didn't participate in other aspects of the workout, including the 40-yard dash, cone drills and other physical tests. Carter didn't finish the position drills because he was cramping up and breathing heavily.

He didn’t work at the combine either. Between this and the racing charges, he could fall pretty far and I’m not sure I’d want him if he was there at 28.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35865573/georgia-dt-jalen-carter-9-lbs-heavier-struggles-pro-day

On 3/14/2023 at 9:49 AM, AMPHAR said:

Based on first day of Free Agency.   Jawan Taylor and McGlinchy got major deals.     Jonah Williams is going to get paid and these two are not any more elite than Jonah.    Right Tackles although KC fans think Taylor will play LT.  Taylor its either 2 year for $40m or 3 years for $60m.    McGlinchey is around $17/18m.

I don't see Bengals paying that and don't think Williams is going to play well enough for Bengal fans to think he should get that.   I'm gonna say mock drafts from this point probably need to include Tackle early and maybe two total in the draft.  2024 will see an exit of Williams.  Collins is probably done already.    Carman is a critical piece but not really proven and they'll be drafting low in the first round again next year. 

The demand for edge protectors even just average ones has risen. 

Scratch all this dumb shit.   They just signed Orlando Brown. 

Yeah, I would guess corner tops the list in the draft room, too. Thing is that 28 seems to be kind a CB void. Then ones worth the pick will almost certainly be gone and the ones left are mid- to upper-second round value. I think trading down to somewhere in the top 12 or so of round 2 is a much more real possibility now.

Well, that's resolved.

Jalen Carter has pleaded no contest Thursday to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing, his attorney, Kim Stephens, told ESPN.

The former Georgia star defensive lineman and top NFL draft prospect was sentenced to 12 months of probation, a $1,000 fine and 80 hours of community service and will attend a state-approved defensive driving course.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/35871548/jalen-carter-pleads-no-contest-charges-reckless-driving-racing

Not like they were going to get Carter on vehicular homicide or something.
He was facing misdemeanor charges, so none of that is surprising.

What IS surprising is how he has seemingly collapsed under all the pressure between his personal situation and the run up to the draft.  Couldn't do anything at the Combine and really didn't do much at his pro day.  What he did do, didn't go well.

I'm with Hoosier or whoever said he would give them pause even at #28.
We can't afford a swing and miss at #28 this season in particular.

• Like 1

I suspect you were on the right track with the “hug” comment. It would be totally unsurprising if the accident and the death of his teammate messed with his head. In fact it would be disturbing if it didn’t. If I am his agent, I am getting the kid into therapy yesterday.

• Thanks 1

Between Mayer, Kincaid and Washington, no one from that group would either surprise or upset me at #28. Mayer and Washington for their blocking ability and Kincaid for what he can do in the pass game.

Of all, I still personally like Kincaid most. Something about his attitude and style of play. He seems like a guy that would fit in this offense best.

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

Between Mayer, Kincaid and Washington, no one from that group would either surprise or upset me at #28. Mayer and Washington for their blocking ability and Kincaid for what he can do in the pass game.

Of all, I still personally like Kincaid most. Something about his attitude and style of play. He seems like a guy that would fit in this offense best.

I'm just looking at them all (the top 3-4 TE's) as capable receivers, but prefer one of the top 2 blocking TE's.  IF they're gone,  maybe wait until later for the TE pick.   Someone like UC's Whyle would be interesting in the 4th or 5th if he's there, for example.   Sign a FA though, regardless.

If Mayer is there (and I give that about an 0.01% chance) I don’t think you can pass him up.

Beyond that the question is who do you think will be there at the end of the second. Given the way the TE FA market has been (dead) I would bet a lot of teams are looking at TE in the draft, meaning there could easily be a run in the mid-second that steals the guy you were hoping for at 60. Of course that could also easily mean the guy you were hoping for at 28 is gone, too.

So yeah, a vet in FA is a must. Question is do you do a one year deal like Hurst’s or maybe say someone like Moreau is the future and count on the run on TEs to push someone else down.