2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m

So it appears the Bengals made an offer (which was turned down) to CB Kristian Fulton. He ended up signing a one year deal with the Chargers.

Mike Hilton is on the recruiting trail telling CB Xavien Howard he should join the Bengals. Howard wants to play for a contender and is willing to take a pay cut.

He’s getting older and came off an injury from last season, but if healthy, could provide some solid depth to the secondary. Worth a look… 

• Like 1

So the Chiefs are trading their franchise player, Sneed, for a 2025 third.

Bengals kept Bates on the tag, got another year of elite play in 2022, and got a 2024 third.

Again, not against trading Tee, but value seems hard to come by.

Trent Brown contract details finally out. They got him for nothing, basically. Spotrac:

Trenton Brown signed a 1 year, $4,750,000 contract with the Cincinnati Bengals, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus, $2,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $4,750,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,500,000, a signing bonus of $2,000,000 and a workout bonus of $250,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,397,058 and a dead cap value of $2,000,000.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m
On 3/23/2024 at 5:00 PM, HoosierCat said:

So the Chiefs are trading their franchise player, Sneed, for a 2025 third.

Bengals kept Bates on the tag, got another year of elite play in 2022, and got a 2024 third.

Again, not against trading Tee, but value seems hard to come by.

Doesn’t it though?  The effect those price controlled rookie contracts had on trades is really strange.  Say you’ve got the 15th pick.  Are you confident you’ll get a player as good as Sneed?  Very unlikely.  So it’s a no brainer, give it up for Sneed.  But teams won’t.  They work that 4 year price controlled deal into their whole salary cap plan and won’t blow it up.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I already warmed on the signing from my original unhinged perspective, but for peanuts?  
Yeah, I'm good.  Go get'em Trent !!

Odd fact - remember that player who was getting a pre game IV and the tech doing it made mistakes and the guy got air in his bloodstream?  Dude ended up in the hospital.  The league was like, “it’s all good,” the player literally said, “I almost died.”  

That was this dude, Trent Brown.  

If I recall correctly, the team doctor did it.  And a bunch of medical professionals said the doctor should not have been doing it.  They should use nurses or blood techs for this work.  I recall one commentator saying this doctor probably hadn’t done this type of IV work since medical school.

Please never change, NFL!

I do remember that happening to Brown because my buddy is a Raiders fan and we were talking about it.
He was a Navy Corpsman and I was an Army Medic.

I cannot even recall how many 1000's of IV's I have administered during my time in the Army.
Makes me think back to once we became incredibly proficient, we began finding ways to do them in situations that were more challenging.  Young and stupid, getting hammered drunk and starting them on ourselves with night vision goggles.
Believe it or not, that kind of had benefits, as I had to start them under fire on the battlefield in the dark.
Who knew ??

Good times !!!

I am not likely ever going to be a fan the Trent Brown signing, but the much lower than expected cost takes a good deal of the sting out, as well as the fact that about a quarter of it is in per game availability bonuses.  They should always have an availability bonus in contracts for injury-prone players.  Player gets injured, silver lining is the cap money to be rolled over goes up

That said, I hope he is healthy and productive all year.  I'd like to see Burrow get good protection, finally......

• 2 weeks later...

Newsflash...

The Steelers have just made the determination that on top of giving up draft capital to obtain the services of Tee Higgins, they will actually have to pay him a new contract.  It's an unbelievable revelation that has not been thought of or discussed by any other team in the league to this point.  The Steelers really are just a step ahead of all the other teams in the league.  The next thing you know, the Steelers might get crazy and suggest that when ice melts, it turns into water.  CRAZY TALK !!!

• Haha 1

Yup. As expected, Tee is going nowhere this year. Meanwhile, another one for the futures file when they start looking at a deal for Chase:

The Eagles and DeVonta Smith have agreed to a three-year extension that ties the wide receiver to the team through the 2028 season.

Terms were not disclosed, but a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the contract is worth $75 million, with $51 million guaranteed.

The team also exercised Smith's fifth-year option, which will pay Smith a salary of around $16 million for the 2025 campaign.

Smith becomes the fifth receiver in the NFL with a contract averaging $25 million or more per season, joining Tyreek Hill of the Miami Dolphins ($30 million), Davante Adams of the Las Vegas Raiders ($28 million), Cooper Kupp of the Los Angeles Rams ($26.7 million) and Smith's teammate, A.J. Brown ($25 million).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39947858/eagles-extend-wr-devonta-smith-2028-season

25 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Yep, pretty much scratch QB from the draft board.

Now if a qb is BPA at a certain point, I can see maybe taking one, but I see that as a low-probability scenario

There will always - at least, in this draft - be a greater need for another coverage LB or a size CB who can cover the Kelce TE.  It also makes it a little easier to take a P, as neither Robbins nor Chrisman have reached even average levels of performance