2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

Biggest tackle duo in the NFL!   4 out of 5 projected Bengal starters have started and won Superbowls.  Impressive.

Now for the love of quality offensive line play.   Can they please get them playing good football early and some how cut down the negative plays and QB hits?  Please.

I just took a stroll down memory lane. The Bengals OL draft picks over the last ten drafts:

Russell Bodine (4) - woof

Cedric Ogbuehi (1) - *gouges out eyeballs, screaming*
Jake Fisher (2) - woof

Christian Westerman (5) - whatever

None

Billy Price (1) - woof
Rod Taylor (7) - who?

Jonah Williams (1) - okay
Michael Jordan (4) - woof

Hakeem Adeniji (6) - "good value" (bad player)

Jackson Carman (2) - woof
D'Ante Smith (4) - whatever
Trey Hill (6) - woof

Cordell Volson (4) - TBD, meh

None

Hard to say it's "abominable" without more contextualizing (i.e., how does it compare with leaguewide trends), but it sure looks bad. Paul Alexander, Jim Turner, and Frank Pollack have all participated.

• Like 1

Trent Brown sucks ass and I'm not looking forward to seeing him in a Bengals uniform.  BOOOOOOO !!

If the o-line ends up sucking again this year, people are going to say, well what did you want Pollack to do, he was handed Trent Brown at RT.  However, hope springs eternal and all that shit.  This dude is straight ass.

19 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I just took a stroll down memory lane. The Bengals OL draft picks over the last ten drafts:

Russell Bodine (4) - woof

Cedric Ogbuehi (1) - *gouges out eyeballs, screaming*
Jake Fisher (2) - woof

Christian Westerman (5) - whatever

None

Billy Price (1) - woof
Rod Taylor (7) - who?

Jonah Williams (1) - okay
Michael Jordan (4) - woof

Hakeem Adeniji (6) - "good value" (bad player)

Jackson Carman (2) - woof
D'Ante Smith (4) - whatever
Trey Hill (6) - woof

Cordell Volson (4) - TBD, meh

None

Hard to say it's "abominable" without more contextualizing (i.e., how does it compare with leaguewide trends), but it sure looks bad. Paul Alexander, Jim Turner, and Frank Pollack have all participated.

Yup it’s ugly. Like I said a couple months back, whatever it is they do in scouting and grading OL, they need to throw it in the wood chipper and go do the exact opposite.

Its been long time since I rocked and rolled.... been a long time been a long time

Whit and Smith circa 2014 era were better than this crew.    It'd be awesome if this combo could give up 2 or less sacks per game like    Levi and Willie or Whit and Smith.

That's 1 big like I have with Trent Brown and hopefully it plays true.  He pass protects on an island and isn't credited with a lot of sacks given up.    Orlando Brown while a upper tier tackle is not a lock down pass protector.     However, Burrow is the biggest play extending QB they've had since Blake.   So you are going to get pegged with some sacks.   I would imagine New England with the youth and struggles at QB they were trying to get the ball out.    Brown with Brady, you know that ball is coming out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Trent Brown sucks ass and I'm not looking forward to seeing him in a Bengals uniform.  BOOOOOOO !!

If the o-line ends up sucking again this year, people are going to say, well what did you want Pollack to do, he was handed Trent Brown at RT.  However, hope springs eternal and all that shit.  This dude is straight ass.

People can say what they want.  Its simply wrong.  A lot of Alexander bashers had no fucking clue what they were watching.

The Bengals could have rolled out Cody Ford and still would not have been an impossible ask to give up less than 50 sacks or hell 40.   Hell Melvin Rootin Tuten and Kevin Sargent even produced seasons less than 50.     That's back when you had Klingler starring into headlights and Blake throwing moon balls and couldn't run worth a crap.   A 4th quarter lead was rare.

Pollack needs to step his game up or get the fuck out.

Its hard to imagine a world in which people tried to confuse Dalton with an All-PRO, giving up less than 30 sacks and somehow the o-line coach sucks.   WTF? Now its 50 sacks a year is alright.

Yeah I did say what I wanted.

Trent Brown = Shitbag

If he proves me wrong, great !! I will be happy about it. Right now? I’m not going to pretend how great this is simply because we have no one else. 

If that’s what people want to do, I can have the opinion they are wrong as well. I’m not mad at anyone here because the Bengals were stupid enough to sign this clown.

Go prove me wrong Trent.
I won’t be holding my breath.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

People can say what they want.  Its simply wrong.  A lot of Alexander bashers had no fucking clue what they were watching.

The Bengals could have rolled out Cody Ford and still would not have been an impossible ask to give up less than 50 sacks or hell 40.   Hell Melvin Rootin Tuten and Kevin Sargent even produced seasons less than 50.     That's back when you had Klingler starring into headlights and Blake throwing moon balls and couldn't run worth a crap.   A 4th quarter lead was rare.

Pollack needs to step his game up or get the fuck out.

Its hard to imagine a world in which people tried to confuse Dalton with an All-PRO, giving up less than 30 sacks and somehow the o-line coach sucks.   WTF? Now its 50 sacks a year is alright.

Yup I think at the end everyone was tired of Paul Alexander, but despite that what we got has been worse. I used to love Alexander O-lines back in the day, not sure if he scouted them back then or not, but the end of his career they were not great. Since he left the o-line has been worse, the drafting has been crap. I listen to him on Sirius XM where he talks a bunch with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwin, and they love talking to him. He is a really good listen when it comes to the trenches.

I hope Trent Brown's Patriot produced PFF translate to the Bengals.   I'm real skeptical of his recent PFF scores earned with a bad offense.   All the PFF score is telling is their opinion on how he executed what they thought the Patriots asked him to do.    Given the Patriots QB situation and lack of offensive threats, its a lot easier to accumulate better scores with "play for punt offense".

Zac and Burrow are throwing on 3rd and 8s.  Burrow isn't checking down either.  So that can screw with OL stats.   

Given what and how fans use PFF.  They should work in some degree of difficulty variable.   Fans want PFF to tell them who's better.  That's not really what the score is based on.   Its we think this guy executed what he was asked to do X amount of the time.  That's it.

Eh, he played fine with New England when they were good, too. Also did well with the 9ers and Raiders. I wouldn't worry much. Brown is a one-year rental that, assuming he can stay upright (a sizeable assumption), means they don't have to rush a rookie in as the starting RT.

Yeah, I took my Geritol and calmed down a bit since yesterday.
I will acknowledge the Bengals had to do something and Brown is that.

Again, I don't care much about the PFF scores for much of what AMPHAR mentioned.
I look at them periodically to see if what they say and what I see are in sync, but they do not help form an entire opinion.
If that's all someone using to make an argument, that's really short sighted.

I did do a little more digging and found a NextGen stat (I like those) that piqued my interest greatly.

"Trent Brown found himself in 1 on 1 situations on 88.3% of his pass blocking snaps last season, the highest among left tackles (min. 300 pass blocking snaps).  Brown allowed pressure on just 7.1% of those snaps, the 2nd lowest rate among left tackles."

Additional to that, when looking at LT's being left alone for passing plays, with no help the most frequently last season, Trent Brown was #1 at 72.9% of the time.  I will glean from that, a trust in the player to do his job and him doing just that.

So again, I calmed down a bit.  I will wish him luck, because god knows we will need some.

• Like 1

Switching gears, if anyone saw the breakdown of Zack Moss from Joe Goodberry, he shows off his pass blocking skills.
The fact it was against the Ravens and showed him stonewalling Patrick, Smith and Clowney is pretty impressive.
I really like that pickup and still think Chase Brown is going to be pretty involved as well.

• Like 1

The pass blocking on an Island is the most impressive thing.   If that translates to the Bengals this year then its going to be a huge pick up even over an average Jonah Williams. 

Run blocking should be improved although that's a distant concern.   For the Bengals its Joe Burrow spreading things out and having more confidence they'll hold a second longer.

Hopefully the guy comes in decent shape and get reps in July/August.  A big weakness along the line is handling twisting stunts.

• Like 1

And yet another Higgins trade scenario:

4) Cincinnati Bengals (from ARI): Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

Trade: The Bengals receive the fourth overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft; the Cardinals receive WR Tee Higgins, the 18th overall pick, and the Bengals’ 2025 first-round pick.

While I think this would be a great year to trade up, I suspect 1) the Bengals won't, because they nearly never do, and 2) not for a wide receiver.

I admit to at least a little Brock Bowers thirst. Or choosing an absolute favorite OT and trading up to get him with one of those thirds (and whatever else needed, within reason) instead of settling for whoever is there at 18.

Whatever though, I'll live when they do that.

Boyd update. Why hasn’t he signed in Pitt yet? Completely unsurprising answer: his market has dried up and now the Steelers don’t want to pay the asking price.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-2024-heres-whats-delaying-a-possible-deal-between-tyler-boyd-and-the-steelers/

Unfortunately for Boyd and every other Bengal pass catcher their production was stunted badly in the first 5 games of 2023.   The Bengals simply did not run a lot of plays during that stretch.   Then were wasn't a late season BOOM because Burrow got hurt.

Higgins doesn't have a whole lot of market right now.  Boyd doesn't either.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans