2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

3 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Stop TJ, just stop.  Dip those shits in the wonderful steak juice which remains on the plate if you have to.
If you aren't getting steak, eat your fries plain.  If you want ketchup on your fries, go to McDonald's...

LMAO !!!

Ketchup is foul no matter what you put it on.

The proper condiment for fries is mayo.

Hehe

Rubys is one of my favorite eateries ever. 

I have only gotten the fries once - there are many other sides there that I prefer.  Come to think of it, while I have never had anything I'd rate below good (most items being flat out excellent) at Rubys, I'd say the fries were indeed my least favorite item there ever.  They were good/fine, just didnt compare to other dishes.

The bread service alone makes it worth a visit....

Last time I was there I had the Burrow steak.  Excellent.  First time eating crawfish for me.

I also had my first and only real Kobe beef there.  4 ounces, 100 dollars.  Didnt like the taste or (especially) the texture, but eh, another bucket list item scratched off

I wish I could afford 100 dollars a day food budget :-) but it is sadly an occasional special/rare splurge instead

The Precinct is the spot for my wife and I for special occasions.
The Barrel-Cut Filet (MEDIUM RARE AT MOST) is something created by the gods.
Add whatever side you want, they are all good.

Along with my god-like filet, I drink as many bourbons my health and credit line can handle.
The list is amazing and they always have something behind the bar if you ask and willing to pay.

I prefer Ruby's downtown but to be honest I've not been there since they moved

Of course Precinct is closer for both of us

I dont drink much, but Ill take your word on the bar.

My preferred steak is the NY strip.  Medium Rare.  Filet is tender-er, yes, but the strip is imho more flavorful.  I am however 100% confident that if I picked a steak randomly (excluding real Kobe) from their menu it'd be wonderful

I keep hearing about this "butter pie" but I have yet to try it

1. McDonalds ketchup is not normal ketchup

2. Arby's horsey sauce is the best Fry condiment (I assume mayo base with horse radish)

I'm not getting into Becton or Tart talk until they sign.  But fair warning there's been a couple comments made and I'm pissed off about it.

15 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

1. McDonalds ketchup is not normal ketchup

2. Arby's horsey sauce is the best Fry condiment (I assume mayo base with horse radish)

I'm not getting into Becton or Tart talk until they sign.  But fair warning there's been a couple comments made and I'm pissed off about it.

Well shit, if you won't, I will! Work is slow today and I got half an hour to kill before lunch so...

Like I said a few posts back, I'm fine with signing Tart. I doubt that he's THE answer, but it's not like our interior DL is stocked with future pro bowlers so there's no reason to think he couldn't compete for a spot. Worst case scenario he's a camp body. And signing him doesn't take DL off my draft board.

As for Becton, reportedly there are three teams (including the Bengals) interested. In that scenario I would say the odds are against them for reasons we all know. But re Becton himself, I honestly don't think we know what he is yet. He had a good rookie season on a bad Jets team that immediately imploded around him. In four seasons he's had two head coaches, three offensive coordinators, five quarterbacks (not counting Rogers) and 12 different guys (not counting Becton) starting on the offensive line. Since he got there, the NYJ have been a complete goat rodeo, except the goats are also clowns, and the clowns have explosive diarrhea, and everything is also on fire.

I can't say if I would love or hate signing him, ask me again if it happens and when we know the details. But I am happy they are kicking his tires.

Regarding Becton and Tart...

I won't complain if they do or don't sign either one of those guys honestly.  I just won't sit here and think those positions are set.
For example, I love the TE Gesicki signing, in addition to bringing back guys we had last season.  The TE room is set.

Tart has been a headcase with spotty production.  Does that continue here?  Maybe, maybe not.
Becton, minus one season, has been a below average OT.  Do we get his rookie season or the recent version?

That is why I say it's the "Hope and Pray" strategy.  Now don't get me wrong, I will be hoping and praying hard.
I just won't be the one surprised should they both end up circling the toilet bowl come season's end.
I will be surprised if one or both makes a big impact at their respective positions.

If these signings don't keep them from addressing both positions early in the draft, I will like them more.

Also, I'm not mad at anyone for disagreeing.  Love them all you like !!!

• Like 1

I want no part of Becton, even for vet min.  Period. 

If we do unfortunately sign him, I pray to god that any money above vet min is conditioned on playing time - like a bonus for each game where he is active on game day.  Incentives to stay healthy.  And other quality of play incentives, like games without a penalty and coach grading above a certain number

Tart is a maybe.  He's a good player but there are SERIOUS maturity issues with him that absolutely cannot be allowed to harm team chemistry.  Our vet DLs are gonna have to tell him to shut up and work, and enforce that continuously.  And even then, I dont want to see more than 4M/Y spent on him. 4M is on the high side, as I see it.  This guy needs a carrot to reach for, so incentives not guarantees.

Re-sign Tupou, who honestly isnt too bad, and spend a r2 pick on the best remaining DT.

I'm torn on Becton.

1. I think the criticism of his performance is probably a bit overblown given that his worst play has come immediately following injury (and he was protecting the dumbest QB I have ever seen).

2. That said, following injury isn't a good trend either. I also think "he was at his best with Frank Pollack" reeks of chugging the Kool Aid and probably makes little difference.

So if it happens, I will just hope for the best. High ceiling, low floor.

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

Meanwhile...

Gesicki - Hudson - Sample is the best-looking tight end room I can remember since the healthy Tyler Eifert era.

I'd like to see them pick up a 3 down TE someday

The first two named above are "move" or receiving TEs

The third is an "inline" or blocking TE......this remains true despite his "CrazyLegs" reception last season that surely should have earned him a pro bowl vote or two :-)

Barring trades, I want to see the Bengals use one of their two third round picks on a TE who is good at both blocking and receiving.  I guy who can chip the DE before releasing for a short to medium pass.  I've wanted that guy for many, many years

Does that guy exist at (roughly) pick range 65 through 105?

Well, one place Becton isn’t going is back to New York. Jets are signing Tyron Smith.

So as far as RT goes, I’d say the Bengals have three choices left: pony up for Becton or Trent Brown; start Ford or Smith or, gawd help us, Jackson; or it’s (begin Bob Barker voice) pick 18, come on down, you’re next on “The Tackle is Right.”

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, one place Becton isn’t going is back to New York. Jets are signing Tyron Smith.

So as far as RT goes, I’d say the Bengals have three choices left: pony up for Becton or Trent Brown; start Ford or Smith or, gawd help us, Jackson; or it’s (begin Bob Barker voice) pick 18, come on down, you’re next on “The Tackle is Right.”

In the above scenario, put me in camp rookie…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I want to see the Bengals use one of their two third round picks on a TE who is good at both blocking and receiving. 

Does that guy exist at (roughly) pick range 65 through 105?

Not many thought to do both. However, if you are into the sleepers, I give you Jared Wiley, TE, TCU…

https://youtu.be/JrpGt6oZvFA?si=QmAcPN86RapG39R0

I like the kid and think he could be much better than being projected. There’s next to no talk of him when discussing TE’s despite being 6’6, 250lbs and having having an elite RAS score of 9.53. Here’s a blurb on him for you TJ.

“One of the biggest pass catchers in the country at 6'7", tight end Jared Wiley has unusual coordination and speed for his size. He excels on curl routes against zone, where he's comfortable settling in between defenders and preparing for contact. Though he wasn't often featured as a primary read except on play fakes and trick plays that are designed to get him wide open, Wiley has solid potential to be a more consistent contributor in the passing game.

The more solidified part of Wiley's game is as a blocker. He'll lose some reps due to his high pad level, but his activity level, length, aggression, and quickness are major assets. It's not a question of whether he's a good blocker.”

8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Orlando Brown Jr is the only tackle under contract after 2024 season.   My guess even if Becton signs, they'll be drafting some.   That's 3 spots to fill next year if they don't.

Now that’s a solid argument.

So here’s another one regarding Tee I saw:

Would you send Higgins to the Giants and move from #18 to #6 this year and the Giants 2nd round pick next year?

I like it theory, but that creates another hole that an extra pick this year could be used towards.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

So here’s another one regarding Tee I saw:

Would you send Higgins to the Giants and move from #18 to #6 this year and the Giants 2nd round pick next year?

I like it theory, but that creates another hole that an extra pick this year could be used towards.

I could see doing that deal, then trading back down in the first to pick up another 2024 pick.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans