2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So here’s another one regarding Tee I saw:

Would you send Higgins to the Giants and move from #18 to #6 this year and the Giants 2nd round pick next year?

I like it theory, but that creates another hole that an extra pick this year could be used towards.

I’d do it.  That’s great value for a player we will have for one season, really no way to afford him after his tag year.  

18 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

So here’s another one regarding Tee I saw:

Would you send Higgins to the Giants and move from #18 to #6 this year and the Giants 2nd round pick next year?

I like it theory, but that creates another hole that an extra pick this year could be used towards.

Almost sounds to good to be true.   So I'd take it.   With some mocks have 3 QBs going in the top 4.  I'd take that deal and run.   Giants are likely to be mediocre so its a decent 2.

You'd be looking at the 2nd best WR at 6, First OT, First Edge.

James Rapien chimed in on this deal but had the Bengals sending not only Tee and #18, but their second rounder to the Giants for #6 as well.

No Thank You !!

To top that off, he has us taking Odunze at #6. How the hell does giving up Tee and two pick and then going WR help at either RT or DT?

Dumbest shit ever !!

• Like 1

I'd have no problem with that trade if at 6 you are picking between a Chase or Sewell.   Never really thought about it so I don't know how those guys grade out as far as franchise changers.    During the 2021 draft it was hard to go wrong at 5.  Only Pitts has been questionable and that probably is his QB situation.    But Chase, Sewell, and Slater have all proven franchise players at franchise spots.

I'd give up Tee and the 2nd rounder to land another Chase or AJ Green.  Or another Willie Anderson.

Teair Tart - I wouldn't say the door closed, but its looking unlikely according to reports.   This is a miss from the Bengals pending on what he eventually signs for.   Adding him and Rankins to the D-line although not getting younger in all aspects and short term deals.  Tart would add a little more pass rush over Reader.   Unfortunately doesn't look likely.

Becton - I think people lost their mind on this one jumping to conclusions he's the starter (if signed) at RT.  I even saw someone suggest a $15m deal.    I'm for the signing but it (looks unlikely) but this I would hope be a reclamation project and a contract that reflects that.  No way do you take RT off your board or pencil him in at any starting spot.    You have to think back to Levi Jones.

As some may remember Levi had a promising rookie season, better 2003.  Then tried to play through a knee injury in Baltimore since the division was on the line.  Injured it worse.  He was horrible in 2004.  Then rebounded back to be one of the best LTs in 2005.  But the knee issue kept coming back along with other lower leg stuff.  He was a shell of himself in 2008.   Becton you just can't invest much hope IF his knees cost him that bad.

Ronnie Staley over in Baltimore is another sad story.   Becton hasn't put anything on film consistently since his injury that suggests he beyond that.

I don't know what the Bengals will do but I do think they try to find some sort of NT and RT in FA.

Neither Becton nor Tart would take OT/DT off my board at 18 and I doubt they would have for the Bengals. As for Becton getting paid $15 million to start? Sure. I just structure the deal with hefty per game bonuses, like $500k per game, with minimal salary and guarantees. Given his injury history I would bet any team would be looking to do the same.

Trent Brown’s name is now starting to bubble up in the rumor mill. Not counting on anything there but we’ll see.

Unless you favored them paying Jonah Williams $30m there really wasn't any sure fire Free Agent solution.  RT was always going to be a focus when TC came open.    They were always going to be looking at some kind of RT Derby in training camp.   No one knows the participants yet. 

Trent Brown has been available before.  I don't think they ever bit on his availability.   

Took a look back and he was the 40th ranked NFL Free Agent in 2022.

He’s a Pro Bowl, field-tilting talent if he’s healthy, if he’s motivated, if he’s with Bill Belichick. He has more value to the Patriots than anyone else -- and even for New England, he’s a big risk.

UPDATE: Brown re-signed with the Patriots on a two-year, $22 million deal that includes $4 million guaranteed, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero.

A lot of ifs.     Also fans are doing the classic PFF comparison which is fundamentally flawed.  You can't compare 1 guy's PFF with a different team doing different things against different opponents to another.   Its pointless.   PFF is silo system that's only determining how a particular player played in a particular game, evaluation done with 0 knowledge of game plan, play call, scheme.

Yeah, hopefully they draft a couple tackles and hit on them.   I would say Brown is a better option than Becton if you are looking at 2024 opening day starter.

I am not a huge fan of PFF by and large.  The inconsistency I was speaking about was more about what you get out of the guy on the field.  I've watched him play and he's not a consistently solid NFL OT.  Becton at least has an injury excuse.  Brown, much like Tart, has motivation and head issues I'd rather not introduce into this locker room.  I would just find it hard to believe Zac would want to bring in someone like that in a culture he has spent so many years cultivating.  I would MUCH rather take an OT at #18 and insert him as the starter day one.

Don't dick around, don't waffle with some inconsistent veteran player, draft him, train him and get him as ready to start day 1 right from the jump.  Finally, roll with what you've got.  There will be issues, but the hope would be that those issues are correctable with a rookie.  People already know how the story ends with Brown.

Yes, draft two OT's if you need to.

I think that if you are the Bengals right now, you absolutely have to protect yourself against the possibility that you don't get get one of the stud RT prospects at 18. And it's not impossible that 5-6 tackles could come off the board before they pick. So you either commit to moving up at least, oh, four spots (which is going to cost you at minimum your third rounder) to ensure you get a guy, or you sign one of the proven if flawed starters available in FA.

After seeing contract breakdown.  Bengals passed on Reader.   They could have easily paid the Rankins money to him IF they wanted to.  

Reader is on a prove it deal in Detriot.  1yr $9m up to $11m pending incentives.   If he proves it he can earn another $11m in 2025.

Rankins on the other hand gets $14m this year.  The Bengals could elect to cut him after 1 year ($10.5m cap savings) but they can take it all the way up to start of 2025.  His 2025 cap hit is mostly salary and game time incentives.

Reader simply is not worth all the hand wringing from Bengal Nation. 

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

Of course he is.

Not happy unless he's sitting the bench.  Not really even then.
Yes, we needed a vet OT.  I guess we did that.
Honestly, I don't even want to root for that guy.

If he does his job right you’ll never hear his name!

9 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

They could take 2 OTs in this draft.   Everyone except Orlando Brown is a free agent after the season right now. 

So is Karras, and Cappa has a 10 million cap hit in 2025. And Volson is, well, Volson.

OL will be a priority this draft and next.

• HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/?m
  • HoosierCat changed the title to 2024 FA Thread: Higgins Tagged | Geno Stone 2y/15m | Zach Moss 2y/8m | Mixon Traded | Mike Gesicki 1y/3m | Jonah to Cards | Sheldon Rankins 2y/26m | Bell Back | Reader to Lions | Trent Brown 1y/4.75m | Boyd to Titans