Free Agency

combatbengal

Tell me exactly how we are so much worse off then we were prior to the start of free agency ??

MJ was expected but there's no doubt it's a loss of talent on the defensive line. The loss of AC definitely reduces both our starting talent and depth on the o-line. Hawkins is arguably our best receiver after Green and Jones. That also represents a loss. Cook is addition by subtraction. Harrison is a meh: he didn't play badly last season but the SLB slot just isn't as important as it once was. The Bengals play so much nickel/dime the spot doesn't get snaps.

Overall, I would say the Bengals have taken some hits so far. Nothing crushing, but these things have a way of adding up. Still plenty of offseason to go. Things could get better. Or worse. We'll see.

I for one have never said that I am pissed by any stretch.

Lets all take a quick breath and revisit some moves.

MJ is gone- Shouldn't shock anyone. Gilberry had 7.5 sacks last season, Geathers is healthy and they drafted Hunt.

AC is gone- A bit surprising, but then again, the word is Whit wanted the LT spot and if that's the case, then it shouldn't shock anyone.

Cook is gone- Most people LOVE that move.

Harrison is gone- How much of an impact was the guy ON THE FIELD ?? Loved the attitude, but he didn't do much.

Hawk possibly leaving ??- Most don't think the Bengals should have matched to begin with and they have depth to replace him.

MJ leaving is no surprise. I'd prefer hed stay but they do have depth to keep Dline strong.

Harrison, not a huge loss.

The surprises to me are Cook and Hawk.

Cook moving on is a plus. Robinson is a better player. There are a couple of guys in the draft they might consider who would have immediately been better than Cook.

As of now, Hawk is a loss but could be a non-loss depending on contributions of others, the draft and the new scheme changes. If anything, it means Eifert/Gresh/Sanu will get more touches.

AC leaving does sting but there are vet FAs, and the draft, to get solid depth. Its not like keeping Whit at LT is a downgrade, but Pollack at LG may be a downgrade from Whit. Overall, I think we are fine.

Now, they must go get some guys. Make a run at a few key guys and bolster dpeth and talent base. Blount, Freeman, Spikes, Thrumond or Browner.... those would be smart moves.

A couple bits from Hobson's latest:

The Bengals released SAM linebacker James Harrison Thursday and it had nothing to do with the Andrew Hawkins’ offer sheet that finally floated into Paul Brown Stadium from Cleveland earlier in the day.

But it had everything to do with youth as the Bengals get ready to put their young linebackers on display at the SAM spot, led by Vincent Rey and Emmanuel Lamur and the return of last year’s fourth-round pick Sean Porter.

OK, that helps the timing of the release make some sense. They may have been waiting to see of Vinny drew any interest. So far (and much to my delight) it doesn't appear that he has. So they felt safe letting Harrison walk.

The Bengals have to figure out if they want to make Hawkins the second highest paid receiver on the team after he finished a season used mainly as the No. 4 receiver in an offense that also throws heavily to three receivers, two tight ends and a running back and is emphasizing the running game under new coordinator Hue Jackson.

But, they also don’t want to give a division rival one of the more explosive space players in the league and a guy that Jackson has been hoping to use as runner as well as a receiver.

I thought so. If this were a non-division team it wouldn't even be a question. But it's the Browns, so...

I thought so. If this were a non-division team it wouldn't even be a question. But it's the Browns, so...

I thought this might have an impact on the decision whether to match or not. $13.6million is lot to spend on a 4th receiver though.

Hope Harrison going means we'll get confirmation that Vinny Rey has been re-signed.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/13/5504210/browns-push-to-sign-julian-edelman-after-losing-andrew-hawkins

Confusing situation over Hawkins ....is he staying, is he going to Cleveland ..... ?????

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/13/5504210/browns-push-to-sign-julian-edelman-after-losing-andrew-hawkins

Confusing situation over Hawkins ....is he staying, is he going to Cleveland ..... ?????

That's an earlier story.

/>Http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/13/5504964/browns-offer-andrew-hawkins-10-million-over-first-2-years

I'd be more impressed with Alexander if he could have taken and made something out of the Guychick's, Kooistra's, Otis Hudson, Reggie Stephens, Luigs, Santucci, Keift, Leyva, Coats....

Certainly more busts than bangs.

I hope and I prey that what I'm about to say, I'm totally wrong. I don't see us winning more than 5 or 6 games next season! We just released James Harrison, lost Michael Johnson, lost Anthony Collins, and maybe Hawkins to the Browns. We have no idea how Atkins will be with his recovered leg and it doesn't appear that we are attempting to get anybody in free agency. Unless we have a phenomenal draft, we're in for a long season!

I'm not that pessimistic. They havn't even drafted yet.

How they approach that is the next item to assess. As it is, losing MJ and AC are significant but not fatal.

How players come back, like Atkins and Hall (and the LBs), is more important than MJ and AC.

Guess who will be on San Diego's injured reserve this year?

Yup, they signed Mr. Glass hisself, Brandon Ghee.

Absolutely thrilled he's gone ...as I've intimated on many occassions he was part of the dead-wood here ...always crocked.

From the players point of view I hope the move results in more luck healthwise and he's able to actually play for someone.

Unless we have a phenomenal draft, we're in for a long season!

We're in for a long season anyway .... you'd expect the first rounder to contribute immediately, you expect the 2nd and 3rd rounders to contribute in part in varying degrees, the 4th rounder and later will all be developmental projects. Even if we draft A+++++++++ only one or maybe two of those guys will make any significant headway this season.