Free Agency

combatbengal

1) D-line - ....... Who knows...we may draft a DE high in the draft

3) Linebacker - A possible draft pick.

5) .....Hopefully Taylor Mays is healthy and contributing, and hopefully Shawn Williams will develop nicely.

6) QB -..... I personally hope they spend a 4th rounder on a high-ceiling draft pick.

7) O-line ....maybe they take someone in the draft.

And then there's AC. Yes, we all wanted to keep him. Clearly the Bengals did as well. These things happen. So, we move Whit back to LT (there are far worse things to happen), ........and take a high draft pick for depth

Thats possibly 5 of our draft picks there and that's also hoping that Mays / Williams can get and stay healthy and contribute. Also bearing in mind that Williams has been developing for 2 years now and Mays for 5 .. so we can't expect a draftee to come in a fill a gap that they may not be able to.

We certainly need to look at CB ... and if we don't bring in a capable vet then we certainly need to draft high IMO

Every NFL team operates in a world of hopefulness and "ifs" each season. That's the nature of the business. There is no sure thing.

The Bengals still have one of the most talented rosters in the league...IF several things pan out.

What are the odds of going to the playoffs 5 times and not winning a single game? Keep hoping I guess, been doing it for 22+ years in a row now.

Because Mike Brown, despite several sources efforts to paint him in a more generous light, is a card-carrying tightwad, and draft picks (especially those from lower rounds) are cheaper

True, and his model has proven to be a failure at anything more than selling regular season tickets. And that's really all that matters to him. Keep the peasants happy with distractions and hope, and sell them $9 Bud Lights.

Ticket sales went down last season and I see it dropping even more this season. They pulled everything out trying to sale tickets, they even had our players calling people asking them to come back. I see us winning maybe 5 or 6 games this season and the green will be looking for a new home but we'll extend Marvin again!

Because Mike Brown, despite several sources efforts to paint him in a more generous light, is a card-carrying tightwad, and draft picks (especially those from lower rounds) are cheaper

And that's really all that matters to him. Keep the peasants happy with distractions and hope, and sell them $9 Bud Lights.

Yay! It's fun to make assumptions about people we've never met or spoken to!

There's no doubt that Mike Brown did a royally bad job for several years, but the franchise has clearly turned a corner. It's true...they haven't won a playoff game since beginning the Green/Dalton era and it sucks. So the logical conclusion, then, is that he must not care?

Makes sense...

Hoosier I earned the CMB during my career in the military. You can look that up and see what it is and what a Soldier has to do to earn one. All I'm saying is that we haven't won a playoff game under Marvin and we're letting good players go to other teams in free agency and aren't trying to improve or replace some anybody. Guys coming out of the draft aren't a Guarantee to me a super star or a fix. Point, akili smile ki jana carter, David klinger, Peter Warwick, Chris perry, Dan wilkerson... There were some proven vets that we could have made a run for!

When was the last time this team had 4-5 pro bowl level players on it ??

Well now it's 2014 for those following along and ask yourself another question.

How much do you think it will cost to keep 4-5 pro bowl level players on your roster when their time comes due ??

One more ??

How much does that leave you to spend on the rest of the team to round out the roster ??

Bonus question...

How much do you think that allows a team to be active in free agency ??

My point is, this team hasn't had the kind of talent that is currently possesses and YOU CAN'T PAY THEM ALL.

Hoosier I earned the CMB during my career in the military. You can look that up and see what it is and what a Soldier has to do to earn one.

I'm sure you did. But we aren't going from 11-5 to 5-11 because we lost AC or MJ. And we WERE 11-5 last year. You're being the king of over reaction here dude.

Even if the season were to take a downward swing, I wouldn't put it at anything worse than 8-8.

There's simply no way someone can look at this roster and think so.

The loss of 3.5 sacks and 7 starts equates to a 4-12 record ??

While I know and understand there is more to it than simply that, it's not to that degree.

What if Whit slides back over to LT and they draft an OG for the left side in the first ??

Doesn't that make the line pretty solid ??

Whit, LG (1st round rookie), Pollak, Zeitler, and Smith.

Huge drop off ?? Nope.

They get Geathers back in the rotation, Gilberry brings his team leading 7.5 sacks back, and Hunt has another year in the system.

They probably still add another pass rusher and brought Moch back to his natural position.

Think they can replace the 3.5 sacks lost ?? Yep.

I just don't see the sky falling at this point.

Had a busy weekend and haven't had chance to keep abreast of things. Is the latest situation as follows?? :-

Lost : Michael Johnson, Anthony Collins, Brandon Ghee, Kyle Cook, James Harrison

Signed : Dontay Moch

Re-signed: Taylor Mays, Brandon Tate, Vincent Rey, Mike Pollack

Still up in the air : Andrew Hawkins

Had a busy weekend and haven't had chance to keep abreast of things. Is the latest situation as follows?? :-

Lost : Michael Johnson, Anthony Collins, Brandon Ghee, Kyle Cook, James Harrison

That's pretty much it, although I wouldn't count people that they cut as "lost". I'd count them more as $$$ gained...

Yep, that's where they are with things.

In regards to "lost" and Cook and Harrison, lost = cut.

From all accounts, it doesn't look like they will be matching the Browns deal for Hawkins, but will wait until the last minute.

That's pretty much it, although I wouldn't count people that they cut as "lost". I'd count them more as $$ gained...

Thanks .... I was meaning "lost" more as "lost from the roster" rather than "lost to another team"

Would have been nice to have seen one of the better FA cornerbacks added but I suppose we'll go CB in the first two rounds of the draft

Ayers is an interesting potential pickup. He was a 4-3 end in college but Denver wasted his first two seasons trying to make him a 3-4 OLB. They switched back to a 4-3 in 2011 and put him back at end, and unsurprisingly his play improved. He had his best year last season in a backup/rotational capacity. I think there is a very good chance he could flourish here. If it happened I would like this signing.