Free Agency

combatbengal

When was the last time this team had 4-5 pro bowl level players on it ??

Well now it's 2014 for those following along and ask yourself another question.

How much do you think it will cost to keep 4-5 pro bowl level players on your roster when their time comes due ??

One more ??

How much does that leave you to spend on the rest of the team to round out the roster ??

Bonus question...

How much do you think that allows a team to be active in free agency ??

My point is, this team hasn't had the kind of talent that is currently possesses and YOU CAN'T PAY THEM ALL.

They easily could have payed MJ.

They easily could have paid AC.

The hard choices to make that happen would have meant making cap room by dumping others. Making that room could have easily been done by letting Hall go. That Cook was cut also made room. Harrison going also made room. That's more than enough.

Heck, they could have made a run at a guy like Revis, with the cap room they have, at a position of serious need. To me Hall, Newman and Jones are all big question marks. There won't be a Revis available in Sept at cut down to snatch up.

Had they done this, and kept AC and MJ no one would be belly aching (at least me).

As it is, they've cut Cook and dumped Harrison, and didn't do enough to keep AC and MJ. I have to think they believe they have enough depth to absorb these losses, and with a strong draft reload. Then, pick up a player or two from camp cuts.

I hope this plan works because they've sat idle and watched the talent move around the league, shifting power everywhere but here.

I know what you are saying Willy, but neither MJ or AC were pro bowl level guys I was referring to.

Could they have afforded them ?? Sure, but there would have been a cost somewhere else when considering what else they still have on their plate.

Cut Hall ?? I guess, but seriously, you are the only person I've heard suggest actually doing just that.

Most are of the mindset of seeing what he brings back this year and going from there.

I can't say that bothers me all that much when looking at our CB's.

I still say AC is more on AC wanting a starting LT job in Tampa, then a backup job here.

I don't pin that on the Bengals not wanting to pay him.

They sit by watching every year until later in the process.

It's really nothing new whether anyone agrees or disagrees.

I would rather see them be a little more active, but what the hell do I know ??

For what it's worth, many of the teams that "win" in free agency, don't do much.

I want to clarify my stance on whats is going on (or rather not going on) with the Bengals in FA

1) I am fine (even happy) with them being inactive in FA because they are playing the comp picks game and are (up to now) playing it well. I look forward to them having a r3 comp pick and r4 comp pick in 2015 at this point. As such I am fine with all their moves (or lack thereof) thus far. The key to winning this game is to only sign very, very cheap FAs who either won't count or will count very little towards offsetting "net loss of FAs"

2) There is one exception to the above, and its Collins. And thats what has me ticked off, despite all the other stuff. Collins should have been retained no matter what it took, and I think it would have taken the promise of going into camp as the starting LT, which was a promise the Bengals could have easily made. If Whit wasn't happy with that, fine, he's under contract, and will probably be done with football when it expires.

Per da tweeter thing:

Vincent Rey two-yr. deal: $4.2 million: $ 1 million guaranteed, base salaries of $1 million and $2 million, annual $100,000 workout bonus

It could be worth more if he triggers some escalators, presumably for playing time.

"They easily could have payed MJ."

Why would they?Gilbert did just fine in limited action and they Spent a second round on hunt for a reason To Replace MJ.

"They easily could have paid AC. "

Well he's always been a Fan Favorite i'm In Different in losing him all it means is we are Drafting a OG or LT early.

Rather Have money go to more important players like Burfict,Green & Dalton and just draft a OG.

Bengals have what 30million in cap? Vontaze is going to cost 6-8million a Year,AJ Green is going cost anywhere from 10million to 15 and Dalton well even Average Quarterbacks are expensive ...

"They easily could have payed MJ."

Why would they?Gilbert did just fine in limited action and they Spent a second round on hunt for a reason To Replace MJ.

"They easily could have paid AC. "

Well he's always been a Fan Favorite i'm In Different in losing him all it means is we are Drafting a OG or LT early.

Rather Have money go to more important players like Burfict,Green & Dalton and just draft a OG.

Bengals have what 30million in cap? Vontaze is going to cost 6-8million a Year,AJ Green is going cost anywhere from 10million to 15 and Dalton well even Average Quarterbacks are expensive ...

1. Because Geathers went on IR. Because Hunt is raw as heck. So, leaves Dunlap and Gilberry. Now what?

2. What is more important than a young, highly skilled LT? It's maybe the second most important spot in the NFL, behind the QB. Also, Whit is on the downside, and there is no other vet depth but Roland. What's that? Draft one? That's hit or miss. AC is a far better value and far more proven than anyone they can get in the draft. Any other decent vet FA will be just about as much money, for an older guy with less upside.

Bengals have 30m in cap, and it's gone up in FA, due to cuts like Cook, Harrison , not down. They could have over 40m if they make the moves needed. I don't want to hear one word about resigning Dlaton until he wins a playoff game. Burfict and Green will get top shelf coin, but there is plenty of time. When that time comes, others will be on the outs, like Whit, BJGE, Peko, Newman, Jones, Hall... Heck, that's another 15m right there. See, it all rolls along.

I sense the Benglas are watching the potentials walk right by.

Edit to add, I'm really glad they did not sign Weeden. If they had, I'd have to assume that either SoP or Lil' Pumpkin' have a thing for ginger trigger men.

News guaranteed to make TJ happy:

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/nfl-free-agency-2014/2014/3/17/5519698/2014-free-agency-offensive-tackle-marshall-newhouse-to-visit-bengals

Yup, another bargain bin oline guy...

News guarenteed to make TJ unhappy: "Newhouse had a ranking near the bottom of 2014 free agent offensive tackles."

He's here because he was Daltons LT in college, which makes this even sadder

Nope, these are not the droids you are looking for, move along, move along. What they need is a guy who is slightly better than average, on the low side of 30, hasn't gotten a chance (or only gotten limited chances) to start, and wants a chance to prove himself and is willing to take only a little more than vet min for said shot

Just noting the Ravens signing Steve Smith. A very good pick up, will help Flacco.

Browns have spent quite a bit, and have made some nutty decisions (dumping QBs, starting LB).

Steelers have gotten a bit thin losing key guys, and only picked up on D.

I look at how New England reloaded. Good FA signings. Only huge deal is really for Revis. All the others are smart plays. LaFell, Browner, Edelman...

New England is playing the other (good) side of the Comp Picks game

Ie in a year when you sign big FAs, sign many and sign them long them to cover yourself for a few years.

In other words, in an offseason where you're not going to earn any comp picks, go nuts - additional free agent signings no longer hurt your comp pick chances because you dont have any chances at a comp pick

I hate losing Hawk, and especially to Cleveland, but I was wondering after they drafted Gio and Eifert where he fit in. And Jones emerging last season just added more question marks. Bottom line, we have enough weapons to absorb his departure.

As for Hawk, I can't blame him for taking the money. It is likely his one and only chance at a big nfl score. Reminds me of K2 way back when. The kid has busted his tail for this and deserves every dime he can claw out of Berea.

Aye, Hawkins has served us well and I don't begrudge him his payday in Cleveland ...matching the offer would have been extravegant to say the least.

All the best Babyhawk - except for the 2 x games per year you're playing the Bengals !

Just thinking to myself that the amount of money Hawkins in making in the first two years of that contract, the Bengals could look at going after Mack.

I know it's still a dream, but a nice one.

Yep, but for whatever reason, nobody...not a SINGLE team seems to be interested. Word is that Cleveland is ready to match any and all offers.

I thought I read somewhere that they have used up a ton of that with their recent signings and are now focusing on having enough for the draft picks.

I suppose the money for Mack has already been set aside, so like I said, it's a dream. Oh well.

I'm still hopeful to see what Pollack can do if given the chance at Center.