Free Agency

combatbengal

Gutted that AC has gone ... I'm afeared that a thin O-line behind the starters won't cope with an injury situation - even a draftee won't necessarily help out immediately and I have no faith in the FO picking up quality depth players during free agency.

Does this mean we go O-line with the first pick in the draft rather than CB??

REALLY PISSED ABOUT THIS

Ian Rapoport

On OT Anthony Collins deal with the #Bucs: It’s a five-year deal for $30M, per source

This was (and is) very, very, VERY DOABLE money for us

6 million a year?

COME ON

If it was 10 mill, I'd understand. 8 or 9, sorta kinda

But only 6?

F*CK YOU Mike Brown!!!!!!!

REALLY PISSED ABUT THIS

Ian Rapoport

On OT Anthony Collins deal with the #Bucs: It's a five-year deal for $30M, per source

6 million a year?

COME ON

But only 6?

I've never been one for decrying MB at all .... but I gotta agree wholeheartedly and unreservedly with this post ...... $6M/per year for such a quality player is cheap as fuck in my book !! So angry i'm gonna kick the wife, fuck the cat, and punch my neignbour in the face !!!! $6M/year .....you gotta be kidding me Front Office

REALLY PISSED ABUT THIS

Ian Rapoport

On OT Anthony Collins deal with the #Bucs: It’s a five-year deal for $30M, per source

6 million a year?

COME ON

But only 6?

I agree. Keeping AC at Left Tackle meant prolonging Whit's career, letting him slide inside to LG. Whit could have re-upped in 2015 to extend, and make another chunk of guaranteed $.

I'm not liking how this shaped up.

When they have guys like Hall on his second achilles tear making a big chunk, they let AC walk. It's disappointing.

It also starting to smell like the Bengals could be regressing into old ways, staying way below the cap with the old "rookie/injury pool" PR spin.

Kick the tires on Revis?

Gone to the Pats, one year, $12 million.

Stupid Kraft & Belichick don't they know FA is a waste of money????

Yep, and had they made a couple of moves Revis "could" have come here. Dump Hall, dump Malaluga, and there is the net nothing cash.

It's simply too hard to run an NFL franchise. None of us have the IQ to even fathom the math involved.

Penis.

Only time for a quick comment because I'm already late for an event but: I will bet the farm that the Bengals were willing to go $6 million a year, but were NOT willing to promise Collins the starting LT job. Lap was on Lance's show yesterday and he said that Whit wants to play LT, whatever he may say in public. I know it's heresy to say anything bad about Saint Andrew, but this could at least partially be on him.

So, still a concern for me, overall, is:

CB - age and injury indicate a couple changes are possible. Not to sound like a broken record but Hall has an untenable cap number considering his injury history and status. That needs fixing, in one form or another. Newman and Jones are one borrowed time but deserve chance to win jobs. Kirk and CLH are only other depth. Adding here is a must. A gamble like Thurmond or Browner, with t and c for them incurring a suspension to protect. A high draft pick here is also likely.

O-line - no AC means the only viable Experienced backup T is Roland. Not exactly making bengaldom turn cartwheels. Adding a decent vet FA would be a smart move. Zach Strief would be a smart play. Drafting a guy is also highly likely. Maybe even in r1.

RB - BJGE is the Manila file folder in the office products of the NFL. Plain and average. I think this squad is due some youth and pop. To me, Ben Tate is a clear fit but might want more than Bengals are willing to invest. Legarrete Blount is a scary back, that can dish punishment, and would be a hit in the AFCN and with the town. Cheap and young, get him.

WR - color me underwhelmed with the Sanzenbackup and Whalen duo. I'd prefer a bit more size and experience. Panthers just dumped Smith. Interesting. Lafell is also a young and underrated player. Emmanuel Sanders is also interesting but the overall identity of the O could be shifting so the need here is slightly less. Adding one key guy would be ideal. Drafting a raw talent also an option.

QB - well discussed Josh Johnson view (was a Gruden guy) could mean they'd prefer someone with more upside or a Hue guy. For upside, I'd prefer josh Freeman. A Hue guy, could be Jason Campbell. Both have far superior arms to Dalton, and in a run first O, pressure would be off. At least the depth is stronger with either on the team in reserve mode. Also could be plan B in case Dalton truly can't progress.

I'm OK with the status of the D line, LBs and TEs. Even safety is looking ok with Mays back and Williams no longer a rook. Iloka is the undisputed started IMHO, so he and Nelson anchor the spots.

Honestly, I don't see how or why this is so difficult. Good lord.

Only time for a quick comment because I'm already late for an event but: I will bet the farm that the Bengals were willing to go $6 million a year, but were NOT willing to promise Collins the starting LT job. Lap was on Lance's show yesterday and he said that Whit wants to play LT, whatever he may say in public. I know it's heresy to say anything bad about Saint Andrew, but this could at least partially be on him.

Yep. With Pollack signed, and Whit privately wanting the stay at LT, They did not need to overpay for AC. It makes sense but I view the reality that. AC at LT and Whit at LG is better than Whit at LT and Pollack at LG (and now AC in Tampa). Better to have AC here, and have Whit do what's best for the team.

I think the oline will be OK unless there is some serious injury. Getting another T (like a good vet FA) should be high on the to do list.

I made the comment earlier in the thread about that being the hold up for Collins coming back.

If the Bengals weren't going to promise him the starters role, why should he want to come back ??

It doesn't matter if the money was doable if they weren't willing to offer him what he wanted in the starting LT spot.

I also don't think this locks us into a LT in the first by any stretch.

Just the opposite in that I can see OG in maybe the 2nd and another OT later on.

They will have at least two comp picks to add some depth as well.

Don't expect any UFA's either at this point.

They are looking at possibly two 3rd round comp picks next draft due to the loss of Collins and MJ.

They won't be looking to mess that up when they have the draft to get replacements.

I would look for some extensions to get taken care of at this point and there is plenty of work to be done there as well.

I also don't think this locks us into a LT in the first by any stretch.

Just the opposite in that I can see OG in maybe the 2nd and another OT later on.

I've put up a list of 1st round/2nd round OT/OG's onto the Draft thread .. seems there is depth in numbers but not sure what the quality of the players is like the further down ya go

Not surprised when considering age and guys recovering from injury being back in consideration

My point has been that guys have been coming back from injury.

We've seen it take players more than just training camp to recover fully.

Harrison was depth, if nothing else and healthy at that.

I'm still hoping Porter is the one coming back more healthy than most.

I think he was a really good value where we got him.

Hopefully he can take advantage of an opportunity.

Either that or the Bengals draft another OLB early.

I love that Lamur will be back as well, but as mentioned last year prior to his injury, Maualuga came off the field when Lamur got most of his snaps.

If one of those other outside guys aren't viewed to be ready to go, OLB early won't surprise me in the least.

Sorry see him go I liked the attitude he added to Defense,But at the same time he really didn't play much.I'm just curious what this means for our Linebackers.

Who Will Replace him at SLB? Linebacker seems like high need on the draft list because Both Reyray's are Free Agents next year.

Hey Willy...

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/13/james-harrison-says-goodbye-to-bengals-fans/

No more Harrison...

Another case of strange timing, especially if reports of them not matching for Hawk are true. I have no idea what the FO is doing.

Well, TJ, here's something that should make you feel better: the Bengals are bringing in another FA o-lineman with a negative PFF score!

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/visits-workouts/2014/3/13/5504802/former-cowboys-center-phil-costa-visit-bengals-patriots-lions-colts

The 2014 FA plan in Cincy appears to be:

1. Let talented players go.

2. Kick tires on crappy FA linemen

3. ???????

4. SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!

really, really pissed

(tell us how you REALLY, feel, TJ)

F*CK THE BENGALS FO

The natives are getting restless. It's tough watching good players walk away with no indication there's a proactive plan to replace/improve. Have the Bengals ever pursued any outside FA in the first week of free agency? What is the earliest they have ever brought in a player? Anybody recall?

I for one have never said that I am pissed by any stretch.

Lets all take a quick breath and revisit some moves.

MJ is gone- Shouldn't shock anyone. Gilberry had 7.5 sacks last season, Geathers is healthy and they drafted Hunt.

AC is gone- A bit surprising, but then again, the word is Whit wanted the LT spot and if that's the case, then it shouldn't shock anyone.

Cook is gone- Most people LOVE that move.

Harrison is gone- How much of an impact was the guy ON THE FIELD ?? Loved the attitude, but he didn't do much.

Hawk possibly leaving ??- Most don't think the Bengals should have matched to begin with and they have depth to replace him.

So IMHO, we are talking about two guys that shouldn't have been a surprise, one move that was cheered for, one that didn't do much and one no one is quite sure of.

Tell me exactly how we are so much worse off then we were prior to the start of free agency ??

While I would like and have mentioned about them making some moves with the money they aren't spending, it's just not happening.

They will be more than happy with the comp picks they get (so will we next draft) and will get some extensions completed.

If they don't get some guys extended, it will be time to explode.

Then again, they HAVE to spend close to the cap, so something has to give.

However, much to the surprise of many, they've been doing that for years now.

Army, you can't let a top notch starting LT go for 6 million a year

No matter how OK I am with everything else that has happened, this one is a bonafide kick to the nads (and the nads of every bengals fan) delivered by the FO

The good of the other things in no way shape or form balances the shit-poor bad of the decision to not spend starter money on a starter, especially when thats their one claim - "we keep our own good guys"

well, this time, they didnt

FREAKIN LYING ASS WORTHLESS TIGHTWAD DUMBASSES!