Free Agency

combatbengal

They've got Cobi Hamilton too. With all that depth, you can't pay $5 mill to baby Hawk but I'm happy for him. He's worked hard for this big payday. I do get irritated that the Browns are always wooing our players. They must have some sort of man-love for our guys

Thank God Kyle Cook is gone. Just the simple fact the Bengals are addressing the center position makes this a win for free agency and the off-season as a whole. I would like to keep AC at LT but as long as they don`t slide Whit back over there I will be content. Let him play LG and let`s get someone else at LT. Disappointed to see Hawk go. He was a playmaker.

Taylor Mays re-signed

Ok. He looked like he was getting it. It's something I guess.

I just can't feel the love for Taylor Mays I'm afraid ... if he IS getting it then it's taken a helluva time - he's had 5 years as a pro and managed to start ONE game last year and just 10 in the past 4 seasons. Like Ghee he seems to be injured ...part of the deadwood I'd like to have seen cleared out and not re-signed to be honest.

I think the Babyhawk contract earns us a r6 comp pick in 2015

As he was undrafted the Bengals get no compensationary pick at all

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Browns-sign-Hawkins-as-Bengals-mull-match-but-not-UFAs-Report-says-Mays-re-signs/048777c5-bd3e-4266-84a3-d7da63d7593e

Bengals feel he is a number 4 here, Sanu will have a bigger role, and Dane can fill in nicely. Hate to see Hawk go, but sounds better for him.

Oh phooey. ITS RYAN WHALEN TIME!!!

No way it's Sanzenbacher time!!!!

Why not all he did with his chances was make plays.

Well just read the bengals are planing on matching the Browns offer, so looks like they have plans for him. I just hope if its true they actually use him right.

Do you have a link for that article? I can't see anything obviousl on the .com or the NFL site at all.

I wonder how much of an influenece Hawkins potentially going to a divisional rival had on the Bengals decision to retain him?

If he does stay then I hope they lose some of the other deadwood receivers not producing ... Whalen and Sanzenbacher.

I can't say as much has surprised me all that much to this point in time.

While I would have rather seen them keep AC, you had to figure him leaving had pretty good odds of happening.

The release of Cook really makes me happy as I really don't know what people saw in him except that he call make line calls.

Sooner or later making those calls seems less valuable than being able to stay on your feet and protect Dalton.

Good luck to him in his future though.

Paying Hawkins that kind of money is a mistake in my opinion. I like him and wouldn't mind seeing him back, but I think a deal like that hinders them a bit. AJ is going to be getting paid and both Jones and Sanu will be free agents after next year. I also saw a write up about how the Bengals had Sanu in the slot more when they were running the ball and if so would seem to indicate the better way to go if they indeed want to be more physical in the running game. Hawkins isn't physical, he's just lightning quick.

Mays ?? Can't say as I care much, but will acknowledge our new DB coach did the same job with the 49er's when they drafted him.

I have to say the match does surprise me a bit. But Sanu didn't really impress last season even tho he was handed the no. 2 WR job out of the gate. And at $3 million/year Hawk is not going to be a guy who only comes out for a handful of gadget plays a game. If he isn't our starting slot receiver I will be very surprised.

I have to say the match does surprise me a bit. But Sanu didn't really impress last season even tho he was handed the no. 2 WR job out of the gate. And at $3 million/year Hawk is not going to be a guy who only comes out for a handful of gadget plays a game. If he isn't our starting slot receiver I will be very surprised.

Agree that his pay will dictate an increased role from the slot. If he's back to 100% healthy, I have little concern with that move.

I'm still left to wonder what might come from the TE spot.

Alex Smith is a free agent and who knows what Orsen Charles is going to be ?

If they don't bring back Smith, pencil in a TE for the draft.

Hmmm ... Hawkins at $12+ million for 4 years ...not sure that's good business in my opinion.

If Hue leans more towards the run do we need AlexSmith at all ?? Let Smith go is my view and put Charles back into competing for a TE spot.

I think the Babyhawk contract earns us a r6 comp pick in 2015

As he was undrafted the Bengals get no compensationary pick at all

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Browns-sign-Hawkins-as-Bengals-mull-match-but-not-UFAs-Report-says-Mays-re-signs/048777c5-bd3e-4266-84a3-d7da63d7593e

Not a pick based on the tender (which I agree they didn't tender high enough), rather a comp pick based on the contract

I don't see how anyone can have an opinion on re-signing Mays until we know the terms. If the guaranteed money is low then I don't see the problem. He clearly was a contributor last yr before he got hurt and I would argue that they missed him thereafter.

As for BabyHawk, $3mill is not much nor is his guaranteed money. I'm fine with it. I especially like that they're telling the team up north to shove it and quit sniffing around our players

Hmmm ... Hawkins at $12+ million for 4 years ...not sure that's good business in my opinion.

If Hue leans more towards the run do we need AlexSmith at all ?? Let Smith go is my view and put Charles back into competing for a TE spot.

If Hue leans more to the run then he'll want Smith 'cause he's our run blocking TE

I especially like that they're telling the team up north to shove it and quit sniffing around our players

Two questions: First, now that the Bengals have matched Cleveland's offer, does that mean Hawk is officially signed and no longer an RFA (or can he not sign and continue to court higher offers elsewhere)?

Second is maybe a dumb, speculative question, but how much does this count as a shot across the bow to any team sniffing around our RFAs? I mean, I'm sure the Browns don't like having their offer rejected by another team after they have successfully negotiated with the player... If it comes down to Bengals RFA Player A vs Player B, all other things being equal, might teams look at this offer match and feel it's not worth the effort to negotiate with Player A and have the offer matched and make an offer first to Player B? To what extent does this actually help our chances of retaining Vinny Rey (and other RFAs)?

I especially like that they're telling the team up north to shove it and quit sniffing around our players

Two questions: First, now that the Bengals have matched Cleveland's offer, does that mean Hawk is officially signed and no longer an RFA (or can he not sign and continue to court higher offers elsewhere)?

Second is maybe a dumb, speculative question, but how much does this count as a shot across the bow to any team sniffing around our RFAs? I mean, I'm sure the Browns don't like having their offer rejected by another team after they have successfully negotiated with the player... If it comes down to Bengals RFA Player A vs Player B, all other things being equal, might teams look at this offer match and feel it's not worth the effort to negotiate with Player A and have the offer matched and make an offer first to Player B? To what extent does this actually help our chances of retaining Vinny Rey (and other RFAs)?

Does Hawkins not sign the offer sheet from Cleveland basically saying this is the deal i'll accept - and then the Bengals have 10 days to officially match that offer thus retaining the player?? That would take out the scenario of courting a higher offer.

I don't think it limits players chances of getting an offer from another suitor, it just gives the original team the opportunity to match an offer if they think it's worthwhile. In Hawkins case I'm not sold that it is.

It's the same scenario for any RFA - if the sign an offer sheet from another team the Bengals can put up or shut up ...the choice is theirs.