Free Agency

combatbengal

I think this is a very smart move. Campbell I got have struggled under Norv Turner but he was decent with Hue. I think this is ideal. Maybe they can draft a guy like Garapalo late?

Agree with the move, obviously Hue knows what Campbell brings to the table, and Campbell knows what Hue expects and how he rolls. Makes sense.

I wonder if they will go QB in the draft now or whether Dalton, Campbell, Johnson, Robinson and McElroy will just compete through the camps for the 3 spots.

Honestly, I think they roll with what they have and don't draft a QB now.

Not only does Campbell give them a backup that is understanding what Hue wants and is capable of coming in a winning some games, but he also provides that veteran depth I was wanting for Dalton. You know, another set of eyes that can help Dalton along and give him another perspective that a rookie or another QB that has never gotten any time starting simply can't give.

Dalton, Campbell, and either Johnson or McElroy will work just fine for another season.

That is unless some QB just happens to fall further than they thought he would and can't pass it up.

Another thing I really like about the move is that they don't expect Campbell to be "elite", they expect him to be the backup.

That is a good situation for both Dalton and him.

I like Campbell. He could could have been a very good QB, given decent protection. I know that is a common refrain about Dalton, but Campbell started out behind a brutal Redskins line, was traded out west to suffer behind Oakland's line and it never really got better for him.

Am a little surprised he elected to come here because I assumed there must be some resentment on his part toward Hue for bringing Palmer in just when he was playing well in Oakland. I guess if that was the case, it's been smoothed out and he's good to go. I think this is the best team he's had the chance to play for. If anything happens to Dalton, he'll step up and play well.

I like Campbell. He could could have been a very good QB, given decent protection. I know that is a common refrain about Dalton, but Campbell started out behind a brutal Redskins line, was traded out west to suffer behind Oakland's line and it never really got better for him.

Am a little surprised he elected to come here because I assumed there must be some resentment on his part toward Hue for bringing Palmer in just when he was playing well in Oakland. I guess if that was the case, it's been smoothed out and he's good to go. I think this is the best team he's had the chance to play for. If anything happens to Dalton, he'll step up and play well.

If I remember correctly he was hurt that is why Palmer was signed. Hue was let go after that season.

Bengals have confirmed the signing.

TJ, according to early reports it's a 1-year, $100 million fully guaranteed deal. In order to fit it under the cap they will be cutting Green, Atkins, Dunlap and Whitworth. Oh, and Mikey is trading our whole draft to Cleveland for cash. :)

I like Campbell. He could have been a very good QB, given decent protection. I know that is a common refrain about Dalton, but Campbell started out behind a brutal Redskins line, was traded out west to suffer behind Oakland's line and it never really got better for him.

If I remember correctly he was hurt that is why Palmer was signed. Hue was let go after that season.

Ah, you're right. Broken collarbone. I had forgotten that - thanks!

Army, you still thinking about Jared Allen?

I dont think the Penny Pinchin' Progeny of Paul is: http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/19/2014-nfl-free-agency-jared-allen-10-million-per-year/

10 million per year ?? He will never get it.

Early on in the process, he was said to understand he would be playing in a rotation and would take the pay according to that designation.

He also said he was good with that as long as he could play for a team that would be in contention.

I don't know what the heck happen between there and 10 million per season.

I think he would be GREAT in our rotation, but 10 mil ?? Pass...

Bengals have confirmed the signing.

TJ, according to early reports it's a 1-year, $100 million fully guaranteed deal. In order to fit it under the cap they will be cutting Green, Atkins, Dunlap and Whitworth. Oh, and Mikey is trading our whole draft to Cleveland for cash. :)/>

Then I dont think it was a very good signing, quite frankly :-)

No escalator clauses? Or was the 100 mil guarentee good enough?

Coley Harvey ‏@ColeyHarvey 10m

Some of the #Bengals media just had a chance to meet Jason Campbell. He's excited to be in Cincy because the team is already a winner.

This is the first time in his career Campbell has gone to a team that had a winning record the year before his arrival. #Bengals

(The Bears were 8-8 the year before he came to Chicago) Campbell also embraces Hue J's run-first philosophy, and is glad to back up Dalton

Nice to have a veteran backup that knows he's, well, a backup.

It's exactly what I wanted for Dalton. Campbell doesn't need to be Peyton Manning, only another set of eyes for Dalton and share his perspective.

Dalton hasn't had a sounding board from that perspective since he came into the league.

Yeah, i'm good...

I dont think the Penny Pinchin' Progeny of Paul is: http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/19/2014-nfl-free-agency-jared-allen-10-million-per-year/

Early on in the process, he was said to understand he would be playing in a rotation and would take the pay according to that designation.

He also said he was good with that as long as he could play for a team that would be in contention.

Allen's price will go down. I bet he signs a two year-6M deal with a place like Dallas or Oakland right before camps start.

Well, the dream is over. Somehow Seatttle was able to put together money for two elite DEs when we cant even afford a slightly above average OT: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/3/20/5530544/jared-allen-signs-with-seahawks-devin-hester-to-falcons/in/5214097

I guess I no longer see Whit as an OT - I see him as an OG

Thats what he was drafted to be, incidentally

I think his career will be extended greatly and his effectiveness much improved if he remains at OG

would prefer to but either Whitworth or Paul Alexander seem disagree :|