Free Agency

combatbengal

For everyone keeping score at home:

The NFL Players Association's most recent salary-cap numbers from Thursday morning put the Bengals at $24,748,666 under the cap. ESPN Stats & Information's most recent salary-cap update has them at just more than $24.8 million.

The Bengals are one of five teams that still has more than $20 million in remaining cap space.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't the money given to Dalton and Burfict that would count against the cap in 2014 be minimal in terms of 24.8 million?

Playing conservative has benefited the Bengals up until now, there's no question. I think they deserve alot of credit for what they've done the last 3 years.

My concern is that they don't know how to get it into a 5th gear to push them over the top. Almost as if "above average" team is all this organization can manage. It's not in their DNA.

Of course they are saving a bunch of this money to extend Dalton and Burfict both of those guys have minimal cap hits today and will demand alot of money.

Yup, that has been the line so far. Hasn't happened yet, though. I do think it will, but the cynical bastige in me would not at all be surprised to see them drag things out until August. Why give up your best excuse for not spending any sooner than you have to?

so we now have Iloka, Nelson, Williams, Mays .... and Manning. Does that seal up the Safety spot for the 2014 season and leave a draft pick for another position of need?? Any injuries can be covered by the annual phone call to Chris Crocker

so we now have Iloka, Nelson, Williams, Mays .... and Manning. Does that seal up the Safety spot for the 2014 season and leave a draft pick for another position of need?? Any injuries can be covered by the annual phone call to Chris Crocker

I think Manning basically is Crocker, just a version that our new secondary coach Vance Joseph is comfortable with since they were in Houston together. Like Crocker, Manning gives you a vet safety who can play a bit of corner if necessary.

I wouldn't rule out safety in the draft since Nelson will turn 31 this year and will count almost $4.8 million against the cap in 2015, the last year of his current deal. But he is still playing well so I don't think it's high on their priority list. That said if Clinton-Dix somehow slid to 24 it would be hard to see a situation in which he wasn't BPA. And no, I'm not just saying that because I have a six-year-old's sense of humor and want a Bengals jersey with "Clinton-Dix" on the back, but because...OK, I admit it, that's really the reason. :lol:

Assuming this was for minimal money, this was a good signing, although again I hate that it is a one year deal. The higher the coin, especially guarenteed coin, the less "good" this is

Since he was released by Houston, there is no detrimental effect on comp picks in 2015

Provides a veteran presence in the secondary while the younguns continue to develop - I am not ready to say Williams is a bust after just a year, but I do think he can be groomed a bit longer now that Manning is here

Although signing Campbell was the best signing of this offseason so far, Manning's (again, assuming a low end contract) is a close second

So, they signed Manning. Ho hum.

Iloka played very well. What is Manning going to do? How about Williams. How about Mays?

this signing has "Jason Allen" written all over it.

Your post is stupid on so many levels that I am actually impressed. You are a force to be reckoned with.

So, they signed Manning. Ho hum.

Iloka played very well. What is Manning going to do? How about Williams. How about Mays?

this signing has "Jason Allen" written all over it.

Your post is stupid on so many levels that I am actually impressed. You are a force to be reckoned with.

I will take that as the backhanded compliment it is. Thanks.

I sense you feel this is a "good" or "smart" signing?

Although signing Campbell was the best signing of this offseason so far, Manning's (again, assuming a low end contract) is a close second

One thing to watch: though he hasn't done much of it lately, back in his days up here with da Bears, Manning was a pretty good return guy. Had his best year in 2008, when he had 36 returns for 1,076 yards (29.7 avg.), including an 83 yard TD and 9 of 40+ yards.

By contrast, Brandon Tate has just 8 40+ yard returns in his entire career.

Last time Manning got any significant return time was 2011, when he had 13 for 356 yards, a 27.4 yard average, better than Tate's ever done. Notable, of those 13 returns 10 were over 20 yards and 2 over 40. Again to contrast, Tate's got a total of 10 20+ returns for his whole career.

If Manning could pry the kick return job from Tate that would make him the No. 1 FA signing (so far) in my book by a mile.

I see Williams as the direct back up for Nelson.

They took Hunt to replace MJ, and while Hunt still needs to prove his ability to execute, it was considered a smart/luxury move.

I expect Williams to realize his potential as Nelson plays out his thread.

If Iloka or Mays cannot solidify the other S spot, then Manning might be a stop-gap move, a la Crocker. Or, the guy could be cut. There is a reason he lost his starting spot in Houston. He is cheap depth and insurance at worst. At best, he is a guy who has had some success and knows the schemes that Vance wants to implement.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought Williams was your typical in the box strong safety.

If my memory serves me, he wouldn't be viewed as Nelson's backup as he's our FS.

Again, I could certainly be incorrect.

I think the Rambo guy was the SS, who'd played some LB. I thought Williams was the guy who also played some CB at times, a la Crocker.

I could be wrong but that's what I recall. Too tired to research. Long.......week.

Either way, if they can't find use for Williams, then is most certainly was a wasted pick. The guy I really wanted in r3 was Landry Jones, who Pittt took in r4. He *could* be what we all want Dalton to be.

Williams seems just an odd fit to the Zimmer scheme, which required serious versatility. If the new scheme has more defined and focused roles, maybe Williams can get into the lineup. It never looks good when your r3 pick is a bust.

I see Williams as the direct back up for Nelson.

They took Hunt to replace MJ, and while Hunt still needs to prove his ability to execute, it was considered a smart/luxury move.

I expect Williams to realize his potential as Nelson plays out his thread.

If Iloka or Mays cannot solidify the other S spot, then Manning might be a stop-gap move, a la Crocker. Or, the guy could be cut. There is a reason he lost his starting spot in Houston. He is cheap depth and insurance at worst. At best, he is a guy who has had some success and knows the schemes that Vance wants to implement.

Manning was starting at Houston until he was injured, he is a good pickup in the Crocker mold. Younger guy (than crocker) that can play multiple positions. He is the Crocker replacement. He was not signed to start but can if we have an injury. That is what good teams do, fill the backup role with a solid vet or rookie with potential. Covers the team in case a starter goes down in camp.