Free Agency

combatbengal

Finally had a moment to go take a look. Long week here as well.
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700724/shawn-williams

I always find draft profiles amusing that state a weakness being questionable straight line speed and the guy runs a 4.42 forty at the combine.

Rambo was the free safety there at Georgia and while I really wanted to see the Bengals draft him, he hasn't done much either.

Don't get me wrong, i'm rooting hard for Williams, but I guess I just expected more from our 3rd rounder.

Him getting beat out by a 5th rounder wasn't what I was expecting for him.

Especially with all the hype about him being a young Crocker.

I remember at the time of the pick being at least 3-4 other guys I would have preferred.

Then again, i'm just a couch scout so it's not like i'm in the loop for real.

Willy, here's to hoping your weekend gives you some rest to that long week !!!

:cheers:

Remember they brought Iloka around slowly as well. Safety is one of harder positions to acclimate. I am an optimist but I am not worried about Shawn Williams I think you will see big strides from him and Hunt and if not then next year I will be concerned.

Don't get me wrong, i'm rooting hard for Williams, but I guess I just expected more from our 3rd rounder.

Except Williams was never in competition with Iloka for a job.

Except Williams was never in competition with Iloka for a job.

Seeing as how Iloka was playing the SS spot vacated by Crocker at the time, i'm not sure how you figure.

Iloka was a FS in college and presented that interchangeable type safety they seem to covet and allowed him to step in.

If i'm wrong i'm cool with it, but I thought that was the situation.

If not, SS is a MUCH more glaring need then I realized.

I know this isn't fantasy land and that these moves will never happen but Chris Johnson and Alex Mack are looking for jobs. Either one of those players could be a good fit for us. Alex Mack being the better choice but I wouldn't throw Johnson to the curb; I think he's better than the Law Firm!

I know this isn't fantasy land and that these moves will never happen but Chris Johnson and Alex Mack are looking for jobs. Either one of those players could be a good fit for us. Alex Mack being the better choice but I wouldn't throw Johnson to the curb; I think he's better than the Law Firm!

I think I would rather have an average back compared to Johnson at this point in his playing days. He has been ridden hard and does not seem to have much left. To inconsistent for me, but he does have much more of that big play ability than BJGE.

Mack, back the truck up to his door and make him a Bengal, NOW!!!

Mack, back the truck up to his door and make him a Bengal, NOW!!!

I can't see that happening while the Dalton negotiations are still in process

Just for the record here is Manning's contract breakdown:

Cap value: $1,318,750

Cash value: $1,600,000

Signing bonus: $100,000

Roster bonus: $450,000 ($450,000 is the max value, but he'll make $28,125 per game that he's active)

Workout bonus: $50,000

Base salary: $1,000,000

Guaranteed money: $100,000

So if he doesn't make the 53 man final roster, the dead money for 2014 is just $100k.

I just don't understand this coaching staff at all. When Sanzenbacher is in the game, he produces but they don't play him that much. I would love to see him take over Tates duties on kick off returns. Baby Hawk was the same way, he produced when he was in. Now he did play just a tad bit more than Sanzenbacher, but he wasn't in enough! Then we go and let him go to the Browns!! Bone head move!! Another Bonehead move was letting our FB go last year for a TE that didn't do that great of a job!

Finally had a moment to go take a look. Long week here as well.
/>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1700724/shawn-williams

I always find draft profiles amusing that state a weakness being questionable straight line speed and the guy runs a 4.42 forty at the combine.

Rambo was the free safety there at Georgia and while I really wanted to see the Bengals draft him, he hasn't done much either.

Especially with all the hype about him being a young Crocker.

I remember at the time of the pick being at least 3-4 other guys I would have preferred.

Then again, i'm just a couch scout so it's not like i'm in the loop for real.

Willy, here's to hoping your weekend gives you some rest to that long week !!!

:cheers:/>

good find. It was Williams who played at ILB some....

It does not bother me that Iloka beat him out, after Mays went down it was clear they were scrambling. Williams did not have the time in the system Iloka did.

Happy hump day....

Y A W N

snore.

to me, I see only marginal upside in Dane. Can he field kicks? probably. Will they let him? probably not. Will he get more looks than last year.....perhaps....

With AJ, Sanu and Jones, Eifert and Gresh, and Gio, I don't see that many chances for Dane except to provide quality depth.

To be frank, I expect them to probably draft a decent WR prospect this year, and I support that. Jones has emerged but Sanu has kind of plateaued. With only marginal guys after (Dane and Whalen, Cobi), it would be smart to get another big fast guy in the fold.

This ought to be interesting: it looks like the Jags are going to try and pry Alex Mack away from Cleveland. The idea they have reportedly come up with is a deal with a giant bonus next year. If Cleveland matches Mack could completely screw their cap next year by refusing to renegotiate.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/report-jags-will-sign-alex-mack-to-an-offer-sheet-by-friday/

LMAO. Word is Mack desperately wants out of the Mistake. I'll laugh if they match the Jags offer. They'll have a completely messed up cap situation, and a very unhappy anchor on their line for like 5 years. One possible problem - I've heard the coach they hired is really well thought of. It is possible he could win Mack over and they then have a pretty good o-line situation. Ahh, it's Cleveland, the whole thing will implode in kielbasa-eating fashion.

Yah, COB, I agree it's a mess. Lord knows Bengals fans have been over this ground before. I still say that if a guy doesn't want to be on a team, then get rid of him. But the early word is that the browns will match any offer, and reports of a giant bonus in 2015 appear to be wrong. So we'll see...

I just don't understand this coaching staff at all. When Sanzenbacher is in the game, he produces but they don't play him that much. I would love to see him take over Tates duties on kick off returns. Baby Hawk was the same way, he produced when he was in. Now he did play just a tad bit more than Sanzenbacher, but he wasn't in enough! Then we go and let him go to the Browns!! Bone head move!! Another Bonehead move was letting our FB go last year for a TE that didn't do that great of a job!

You are probably an expert on bonehead moves!! Right?!! There you go!!!