Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

I think it's both injury AND salary.

Boling progressed enough last season that he became the better option of the two.

Add in Wharton coming off an injury and being a high paid back up and you could have seen this coming.

Honestly though, i'm a bit surprised they didn't wait.

Add cap space ?? Sure, but like Hoosier said, they already have enough to do some things.

That said, both Wharton and Jamaal Anderson before him had fairly big cap numbers compared to their role on the team, so I think it is quite reasonable to say this was dollar/cap/financial related, despite the cushion they already had prior to those releases

along the same subject line: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/78854/why-bengals-decided-to-release-wharton

Agreed that this was a cap move, but the timing is what I am questioning....Why do this now, why not wait until after the 2nd or 3rd preseason game? From an injury perspective he had been cleared to participate in practice, why not keep him around in case an injury crops up? Maybe this is optimistic of me but my hope is that this signals another move which is why they had to free up cqap space...we shall see in the next 4 days anything that will be done will be done before training camp starts I would think.

Agreed that this was a cap move, but the timing is what I am questioning....Why do this now, why not wait until after the 2nd or 3rd preseason game?

It's a win-win: Wharton gets a chance to catch on with another team before camps really get going; Mikey has to buy one less Jimmy John's box lunch every day, allowing him to upgrade from basic wash to hot wax at the local car wash.

So Boling is projected to start at LG? Fine by me.

I'm right there with you KW. Boling came a long way in his first season starting and will be better this one.

He's another young guy that I wanted to see the Bengals draft a round earlier than they did.

I think he surprises many at the LG spot.

Now if they could just do something with the Center position.

So Boling is projected to start at LG? Fine by me.

I'm right there with you KW. Boling came a long way in his first season starting and will be better this one.

He's another young guy that I wanted to see the Bengals draft a round earlier than they did.

I think he surprises many at the LG spot.

Now if they could just do something with the Center position.

Im actully excited to see the compition at the center position this year. I really liked Robinson last year, and really felt he deserved the spot, but now we will see who will win it.

Mike Brown don't like paying no LG when his RG is making 1st round $$. One's enough

Can't say as I blame him here though.

Certainly no reason to be paying that money to be a back up.

And that 1st round RG isn't making sh*t in comparison to what he will make when his contract is up.

That is if Zeitler continues to improve off a very good season last year. No reason to think he won't.

They seemed more than pleased with the others capable of backing up the spot and if it means they are more comfortable getting an extension done for Geno, then i'm even more pleased. Wharton was not a long term answer at the position and was never anything more than what we got from Boling last season. What I don't like hearing about this move is that it's just Mike Brown being a huge cheap ass. I mean he did just get finished extending Dunlap right ?? 11+ million to Michael Johnson for the season ?? That kind of cheap ??

FWIW in his reporting yesterday Reedy wrote that Wharton was still rehabbing and was a candidate to start the season on PUP. In that case cutting him makes sense, and he would likely be available mid-season to sign if injuries hit.

• 2 weeks later...

Bengals have a new wide receiver, Jheranie Boyd. UDFA out of North Carolina, was initially picked up by Tampa but they let him go after an unimpressive minicamp performance (had a case of the dropsies apparently). Not real productive in college but is 6-1, runs a 4.43 40 and can apparently leap small buildings in a single bound, so he looks the part.

Camp fodder but who knows, maybe he works his way onto the PS and turns into something down the road.

Some tea leaves to read on the Atkins front.

The last we've heard was that there was optimism that a deal would eventually get done, maybe prior to the start of the regular season. However, we've routinely heard that if a deal is struck, there is a significant dollar amount that must be bridged.

Following Tuesday's practice, Atkins spoke "for quite a while after practice" with his agents in Atlanta according to Jason La Canfora, who writes:

League sources said there has been ongoing dialogue about a new deal, but they are nowhere close on a deal with the Bengals at this point. I'd still bet strongly that he ends up with the franchise tag in 2014.

That remains my guess as well.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2013/8/7/4597414/geno-atkins-talked-for-a-while-with-agents-after-practice

Stupidest move they could make.

Atkins has all the motivation in the world to sign an extension prior to the start of this season.

The number it should take isn't something out of the rhelm of possibility for the Bengals either.

Once he signs the tag, the chances of him returning are reduced dramatically.

They can't say that Geno has no reason to sign a deal right now either.

#1. He's not making anywhere near what he would with a new deal.

#2. Injuries suck and nothing is guaranteed after this season for him.

Yeah, he's going to make crazy stupid money with his new deal, but he has to get through another season minus a deal prior to the start of this one.

Set yourself, your family, and their families up for life or take a chance at getting nothing more than you've already made.

Just get this done Bengals.

I won't forgive them should Geno walk away.