Bengals Moves

ArmyBengal

A little more on Smith's deal:

RT @RavensInsider: Andre Smith salary-cap figures: $6 million, $5.2 million and $6.8 million, salaries $1.9M, $3M, $4.6M

Assuming the $8 million in year one figure from before was correct, he got about $6 million to sign. Good deal.

ETA more:

Andre Smith deal has $1 million annual roster bonuses paid $62,500 per game active. Annual $200,000 workout bonuses

Andre Smith's three year, $18 million Bengals deal: $3 million bonus, $5 million total gteed, $2 million roster bonus on May 2.

Those are from ravens insider. Reedy adds:

According to a year by year printout of the Smith deal, no weight clauses or play time deescalators. There is a per game roster bonus

Somewhere TJ just died a little inside. :lol:

Again, I just don't see that being the case.

The Bengals got what they wanted with Smith on the cheap and Smith will get to test the market again at 29.

If Smith gets injured (see not sucking but injured) then that kind of stuff just happens.

If not, I expect to see the same player AND BETTER from his past two seasons.

According to a year by year printout of the Smith deal, no weight clauses or play time deescalators. There is a per game roster bonus

Somewhere TJ just died a little inside. :lol:/>

You got that right

I am very pessimistic about FZ's production the next 2 years. The third year, he'll be great, without a doubt.

This contract sucks.....few if any dangling carrots

Somewhere TJ just died a little inside. :lol:/>/>

You got that right

I am very pessimistic about FZ's production the next 2 years. The third year, he'll be great, without a doubt.

This contract sucks.....few if any dangling carrots CAKES

I fixed this for you TJ, it just didnt seem right the way it was.

I know your dislike for Smith TJ, but I really think you are overlooking just how good of a deal this is for the Bengals.

My favorite way of looking at this is:

If you base what he originally wanted in a contract vs. what he actually got, it's like buy two seasons, get one free for the Bengals.

Smith hits free agency again at age 29 and him not playing up to potential the first two seasons, only to play well his last won't go over well.

He has a ton of motivation and appears to have taken his weight seriously with recent pictures.

His strength in the blocking game is going to be nice with the addition of Gio in the backfield for sure !!!

I can't wait !!!

By that logic, Army, your employer would be lucky to get you for a mere 1M salary plus a helicopter ride to work if what you asked for was 2M and your own learjet

What he asked for was never on the table

What he got was basically what every professional, self-motivated ORT got, only he is not professional or self motivated.

I am not sure he is bright enough to realize if he takes years 1 and 2 off he will be viewed as poison by any potential nfl employer. I am sure his agent is telling him that, but I doubt it sinks in

The glass is not half empty, it is dry and dusty

Anyway, as always, I hope and pray that I am wrong

The market is the market. Had any of those other RT's gotten more money, his demands wouldn't have been so far out of touch.

Lets also not confuse the fact the Bengals had been close to paying him that 9 million per year both of his last two seasons.

What he was asking for really wasn't out of the range of normal by any stretch. Most players get INCREASES in their pay.

With that thought in mind, yeah we got him on a buy 2 get 1 free.

His professionalism can be called into question all anyone likes, but he was motivated enough to become a top 3 RT in the league.

With him being a free agent in another 3 years at age 29, he stands to earn another payday. Motivation provided ??

If anyone believes he's motivated by nothing than money, then this should make them happy.

If you think he's not going to perform, well you should still be happy because his cap number allows the team to cut him anytime they like.

What's not to like about both the situation Smith is in AND the deal the Bengals got him for ??

I understand people simply hating players because God knows there have been more than a few for me.

Brandon Taint immediately comes to mind.

Anyway....

The glass is not half empty, it is dry and dusty

Based on? All the evidence against Smith is three years old. Since 2011 he's been nothing but a pro, starting 30 out of a possible 32 games and becoming one of the best RTs in the league. We have photographic evidence that predictions he'd gorge on Ho-Hos until he was 450 lbs. this offseason were wrong. Finally, by all appearances he took his failure to get a big-bucks deal with grace. Compare that to the past, when we would routinely see guys negotiate through the media when they weren't getting what they wanted, and then bitch about how cheap Mikey was after they signed.

No doubt he could fall off the proverbial wagon. But the probability of that seems pretty minimal right now to me.

Ok, we disagree :-)

Given the few interested parties among 32 NFL teams, I am not alone in my fears here.

You've not changed my mind - but I hope Andre does.

He's one of the key players who can determine whether the oxcart is in the ditch or moseyin' on down the road

That said, capwise and real-cash-wise - we are already out 3 million and in a few days will be out another 2, so he's "earned" 5 million of his 18 (28%) without lifting a finger - other than to have picked up a pen and scribbled on a piece of paper

I'd understand your concern, TJ, if Andre's only good season was his contract year. His upswing began in 2011 though. The lack of interest from other teams can easily be attributed to his absurd asking price and a draft with an endless supply of quality OTs.

Yep, the Bengals took the chance and won.

They won due to the market falling out on RT's and Smith's unwillingness to come off that number prior to the draft.

When all the teams that might have come calling if they missed out on the position in the draft didn't come calling, he was stuck.

There were the Bengals with their deal sitting on the table and it was the best thing going.

Had Smith dropped his asking price, he could have very easily been the Cardinals new RT.

His professionalism can be called into question all anyone likes, but he was motivated enough to become a top 3 RT in the league.

With him being a free agent in another 3 years at age 29, he stands to earn another payday. Motivation provided ??

If anyone believes he's motivated by nothing than money, then this should make them happy.

Not only that but he can have the hope if he plays well next two years maybe bengals reward him with a early extension.Since in 2 years we'll be looking for whits replacement and won't be so fun replacing b oth bookends at the same time.

an endless supply of quality OTs.

maybe on the other items, but no to this part

Teams were reaching for 2nd and 3rd round graded OTs starting with pick 11

this was more famine than feast

Fluker was 2nd or 3rd round grade? then why did everyone want him at 21 ? :P

• 4 weeks later...

Bengals addition to the strength and conditioning staff buried here.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Rookie-on-the-move/59cb0454-3d27-4038-8ba2-fee0a46ef985

Always good to see them add coaching resources, especially in a spot that could improve their lousy luck with injuries.

Always good to see them add coaching resources, especially in a spot that could improve their lousy luck with injuries.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't really like talking about the "I" word much, but there have been a bunch already around the league.

Lets hope it stays "around the league" and not in our backyard.