1st Round: AJ Green, WR, Georgia

ArmyBengal

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just not a fan of this pick. Not because of the player, but because I don't think adding a wr is going to make this team competitive. Defense, Defense, Defense. And passing up this trade was awful. Mike Brown is clueless. I could keep going but ranting does nothing.

Again I dont hate Aj Green, I just dont think a wr makes this team as dangerous as most people think on offense.

Agreed. Just don't see the point of drafting a WR over more pressing needs. Teams are built inside out, not outside in. I would of traded down for Pouncey or Tyron Smith.

I really like what the Detroit Lions did tonight. Suh and Fairley is going to be a scary duo.

No matter who the first round pick was it wouldn't have solved all of this team's issues. Chad is gone so we need a new #1 receiver for the future. This pick solved that issue.

I'm not sure about Chad/Ocho being gone this year, but the point remains to keep the WR corps well stocked, and I think the Bengals did that tonight.

I am just not a fan of this pick. Not because of the player, but because I don't think adding a wr is going to make this team competitive. Defense, Defense, Defense. And passing up this trade was awful. Mike Brown is clueless. I could keep going but ranting does nothing.

Again I dont hate Aj Green, I just dont think a wr makes this team as dangerous as most people think on offense.

Agreed. Just don't see the point of drafting a WR over more pressing needs. Teams are built inside out, not outside in. I would of traded down for Pouncey or Tyron Smith.

I really like what the Detroit Lions did tonight. Suh and Fairley is going to be a scary duo.

No matter who the first round pick was it wouldn't have solved all of this team's issues. Chad is gone so we need a new #1 receiver for the future. This pick solved that issue.

I'm not sure about Chad/Ocho being gone this year, but the point remains to keep the WR corps well stocked, and I think the Bengals did that tonight.

Indeed Caldwell & Simpson are still unproven...We still need 6 worthy WR's for roster...Mind you if a team would offer us a 2nd in next years chad I'd trade him in a heart beat.

AJ Green,Jereome Simpson,Andre Caldwell

Chad Johnson,Jordan Shipley,Quan Cosby

So unless we find a Sexy UDFA or draft another WR it's possible chad does return...

I totally agree. I love what the Lions did tonight. Suh and Fairly will be their own version of the Williams Wall.

Better then Williams wall they are young the Pass rush you'll get from the middle is scary

We had an AJGreen on this team years ago, only he went by the name CHenry,and we all know how much more of a threat we were with him...He may have taken Chads spot along time ago...I also believe the loss to the Jets in the playoffs a couple of years ago when DRevis pretty much had his way with our WR's made this an easy pick...I like the pick' let's hope CPalmer remembers those days with CHenry and comes back...

aw man, you made me sad thinkin about CH15.

anyways, it's crazy how much hate there is for AJ Green. i know it's especially tough bein a bengals fan right now, but we just drafted a top-flight WR. bratkowski peacin has me excited enough, but then i think about how sweet it's gonna be havin a Lfitzgerald/Ajohnson/Cjohnson/Rwhite type of WR in cincy and i become hard.

we don't have all the pieces in place obviously, and the next two days mean a lot, but AJ is legit. i'm excited as a mug.

let's not f this up this weekend, michael.

AJ Green is going to be an elite WR.. Def would've liked having a 1st rounder next year, a 2nd and 2 4ths.

Sounds a lot better than what the deal actually is, when you consider all the falcons picks this year are at the very end of each round, and likely will be the same next year.

So really, it's like a 2nd rounder a 3rd rounder, and 2 5ths.

Seriously, there are barely any playes left right NOW at the beginning of the 2nd round that really excite me... much less players who will still be there around the 6oth pick. How fearful are you really of anyone the browns are going to take at the end of this year's 2nd round, just lookng at who would be available. Or the late 3rd rounder (basically a 4th) that they got next year? And 2 late 4th rounders? Big deal.

Green works for me.

It addresses a need, gives the Bengals the upper hand with Ocho, sets up the rebuilding of the O, and could also be a factor in either Carson returning tail twixt legs or in swaying a veteran FA QB into town.

I would rather have a legit player who can be involved straightaway rather than a bunch of lower end trades.

WELL DONE BENGALS!

Ferk the Browns trading down like I wanted too >_< would have done it for falcons 1st 2nd and maybe 3rd.

1st,2nd & 4th

+ next 1st & 4th

Screw the BROWNS

Uh, Kaz, they have a GM (Tom Heckert) and a good President (Mike Holmgren).......and we have Mikey filling both those positions.......No way Bengals (err, Mike Brown) could have ever pulled off a trade like that, and I have to believe if the Falcons did that for the 2nd best WR in the draft, they would have bumped one of those 4ths to a 3rd for a shot at AJ Green, but like I've said a million times before, WE NEED A GM to pull off trades like that

....and yaeh, like you said SCREW THE BROWNS

Did you guys read the audio call transcript with Green? He sounds pretty much like the anti-Chad. It was refreshing...

Yup, definitely not the most talkative guy. Just seems like a pretty unassuming guy who just wants to play football.

Hate away haters, I don't care.

I've said it many times that you have to remove your personal opinion from the matter and look at things from an organization standpoint.

It makes being a fan of this team so much easy to deal with.

If the Bengals truly turned down that trade, NO, I'm not a fan of that decision and those picks could have set us up to fill holes or trade up next year to get a real QB. I simply don't see how they turned that down when there was still an impact player to be had or do what the Browns did and trade BACK UP to get their guy. Agree that not having a GM to make things like this happen is a real hinderance to the team. Way to go Mike Brown.

Now, if you want to say WR isn't a need that is fine, but I will STRONGLY disagree. Take a look.

Chad = On his way out

TO = Not coming back

Simpson = Flashed but is still very unproven and had a tendency to cough up the ball

Caldwell = Player named most improved by Marvin heading into the season to not being able to get on the field and do anything

Shipley = A player I truly love having on this team.

Cosby = Undrafted player that finds a way to stick on a team that mangles the WR position.

Simpson and Caldwell are free agents after this season and while the Bengals could resign them, there are no givens and that chance can't be taken unless you want to take this rebuild project out 3 years instead of the 2 I'm thinking.

If anyone saw AJ Green on NFL Network's Game Changers, Mooch asked him what he would say to Revis or one of those guys coming up to talk and Green said, I really don't say much I just go out and play. Knowing we play in the AFCN against two of the top defenses in the league, we have to find a way to keep them from stacking the box. AJ Green will do nicely.

Nothing else from me on this. My opinion is it's a very good pick that fills need and presented value.

If you disagree, it's probably based on some hatred for what the team does but not Green specifically.

I can't help you there.

It is being confirmed that the Bengals were offered the Atlanta deal - over a week ago

/>http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110428/SPT02/104290357/A-J-Green-praised-Moss-like-big-play-skills?odyssey=mod|mostview

Passing it up was the very height of ignorance, and Marvin defending it was even more stupid.

That said, the "hating" here is on the organization, not the player selected. And as I said earlier, it's just one more turd atop the already 10 story high pile of manure - and it's not like I lost any more respect for Son-of-a-Genius as there was none left to lose.

Agree that turning down that deal is beyond stupid.

You simply can't make that one player bigger than the good of the organization and I feel that is exactly what they did.

Another first round pick next year coupled with whatever they may get if and when they decide to trade both Chad and Carson and you would have more ammunition to get exactly what you need in next years draft and keep the rebuild to a minimum. I will go out on a limb and say if over the next 5 years the Bengals and Browns will finish behind the Steelers and Ravens, it will be the Bengals in the basement more times than not.

Nothing else from me on this. My opinion is it's a very good pick that fills need and presented value.

If you disagree, it's probably based on some hatred for what the team does but not Green specifically.

I can't help you there.

No hate. I don't like WR drafted that high just because they have a very high bust rate, and because the position itself just isn't quite as impactful as the usual positions taken in the top 5, such as LT, QB, DE, DT. Also, with all the issues the Bengals have now, drafting a WR with their first pick is kind of like buying a sports car while getting evicted from your house. I think they have bigger fish to fry.

None of that has anything to do with this particular kid, obviously, and I hope he does well. It's too bad there weren't any elite O-linemen this year, because going OT-QB would have been ideal.

I can't help you there.

No hate. I don't like WR drafted that high just because they have a very high bust rate, and because the position itself just isn't quite as impactful as the usual positions taken in the top 5, such as LT, QB, DE, DT. Also, with all the issues the Bengals have now, drafting a WR with their first pick is kind of like buying a sports car while getting evicted from your house. I think they have bigger fish to fry.

None of that has anything to do with this particular kid, obviously, and I hope he does well. It's too bad there weren't any elite O-linemen this year, because going OT-QB would have been ideal.

Well, seeing as how Green will be on the field for the majority of all passing plays and then some, I say he has all the chance in the world to be the impact player everyone is hoping for. For what it's worth, when listening to a scouting special recently, ALL of them said if you are picking in the top 5 you either take a top D or O lineman (none available rated higher than Green), a QB (a QB would have been iffy at #4), or an elite prospect at the skill positions. Seeing as how Green is viewed, this simply can't be viewed poorly.

NOW, had they traded down, alot of what people were wanting would have really been on the table.

Yeah, Atlanta didn't offer what the trade value chart would indicate, I really think that's more of a guide than something set in stone that a team HAS TO GET in order to make a trade. I really like AJ Green, but wow, what they could have done with those picks moving forward this draft and next could have really set them up nicely.

Well, seeing as how Green will be on the field for the majority of all passing plays and then some, I say he has all the chance in the world to be the impact player everyone is hoping for. For what it's worth, when listening to a scouting special recently, ALL of them said if you are picking in the top 5 you either take a top D or O lineman (none available rated higher than Green), a QB (a QB would have been iffy at #4), or an elite prospect at the skill positions. Seeing as how Green is viewed, this simply can't be viewed poorly.

Problem is those passes are split among a lot of receivers (and RB, and TE). Each WR is just not worth as much as other positions, and I think any GM whose last name isn't 'Millen', 'Davis', or 'Brown' would tend to concur.

I saw a great analysis recently (I'll edit my post if I can find it) looking at the first-round WRs picked over many years. Results were pretty grim. Not only is a WR just not often worth that kind of investment, the risk is way too high. For every Calvin Johnson, you get a Roy Williams and a Charles Rogers. That high, you're talking about investing QB money and risking a 50%+ bust rate for a WR? No way.

It's interesting to look at draft position for the best players at a given position. The best LT are almost always high first rounders. Predictable success (assuming you don't draft a flesh zeppelin), important position, safe picks. At WR, you get a lot of good players from all rounds, and a lot of busts in the first. Gamble's just not worth it, to me.

Seems like one reason you don't often see winning teams take WR in the top 5.

You need to go no further than when we draft Andre Smith in regard to how easy is it to not produce.

There were a bunch of other OT's in the draft and none of them have lived up to the lofty draft position and money paid.

Oher going to the Ravens late has been the best of that class to this point.

There is no safe pick in my opinion and percentages don't take into account WHERE those players go or the reasons why they didn't produce.

A guy like Charles Rodgers busting didn't have anything to do with his skill set, but his drug concerns.

IF the Bengals did their homework on Green like I think they did, I'm ok with it.

Who else would have fit value AND need that was available ??

People are making it sound like we had our choice of Dareus, Newton, and Green.

Had we, Dareus should have been the pick.

You simply can't make that one player bigger than the good of the organization and I feel that is exactly what they did.

It's what they always do. It's why they let Chad destroy the team ethos in the locker room. It's why they kissed Carson's ass so much he now thinks he's John Elway and can decide where and when he plays. It's why every disgruntled vet feels free to vent in the press and malign the organization that pays them millions - they know there wil be no repurcussions.

Mike Brown believes superstars make your football team, time and again he proves it with refusals to trade down and coddling of jackass players. No superstar guards or centers in the league, so we have weak guards and centers. Superstar receivers? We got 'em!

I really like AJ Green. But I'm sorry, if you're coming off a 4-12 season with MANY holes in your team you HAVE to make the trade to get the 1st, 2nd, and 4th picks, plus next year's 1st and 4th round picks.

That's a best case scenario for a team wanting to be relavent again and that admits they "build through the draft".

I don't want to sound all anti-Mikey here but I have to think that he's thinking added picks mean added money to pay and he balked.