1st Round: AJ Green, WR, Georgia

ArmyBengal

DC...pretty sure that there was enough info on Green and his projection from non-Bengals scouts and observers that we don't need to worry about whether the Bengals "did their homework" or not. Kid can clearly play, whatever else befalls him after putting on stripes.

Yeah, I want to be clear that I'm not attacking this particular kid. I've got no issues with him. I'm just not convinced he's a sure-fire top-5 NFL WR, which is what he'd better be with the money he'll be making. The trade was the thing to do, especially with the top picks having such obscene price tags these days. I will say, 'kid clearly can play' would be a label previously applied to a whole lot of college WR who didn't make the leap to the pros. So we'll see.

As for the Bengals doing homework - they don't, we know this. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Hope it does with this kid. Of course, with nobody to throw to him, this is like buying a $40 million sports car with no engine.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DC...pretty sure that there was enough info on Green and his projection from non-Bengals scouts and observers that we don't need to worry about whether the Bengals "did their homework" or not. Kid can clearly play, whatever else befalls him after putting on stripes.

Yeah, I want to be clear that I'm not attacking this particular kid. I've got no issues with him. I'm just not convinced he's a sure-fire top-5 NFL WR, which is what he'd better be with the money he'll be making. The trade was the thing to do, especially with the top picks having such obscene price tags these days. I will say, 'kid clearly can play' would be a label previously applied to a whole lot of college WR who didn't make the leap to the pros. So we'll see.

As for the Bengals doing homework - they don't, we know this. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Hope it does with this kid. Of course, with nobody to throw to him, this is like buying a $40 million sports car with no engine.

I agree with what you are saying but you can't make this "stud" QB suddenly appear. There is none to be had. Maybe Andrew Luck next year. All of that I just said should stop any team from drafting what they think is the best player on their draft board.

Clarification:
/>http://twitter.com/#!/caldwell87/status/63991719900876800

Cool. Now let's see Evan Mathis clarify this.

Yeah. Good for him. At least we know we won't be seeing him on his back this season.

Awful ballsy for a guy who couldn't beat out Nate Livings for a starting job.

Mo Egger is reporting on his blog the trade package to the Bengals included 19 picks between this year and next. I can't get on his blog page (blocked). If any can, or wants to, please post the details.

That's not quite what Mo's saying. The trade offer didn't include 19 picks, but accepting it would have given the Bengals a total of 19 picks between the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

You can only add so many rookies. If AJ Green turns out to be a Pro Bowl WR then us fans really can't complain

Clarification:

Yeah. Good for him. At least we know we won't be seeing him on his back this season.

Awful ballsy for a guy who couldn't beat out Nate Livings for a starting job.

Exactly. Mathis was hardly a bright spot on an otherwise mediocre team. He wasn't even good enough to play on said mediocre team.

Beggars can't be choosy. You want to play for a winner? Good for you. Enjoy the view from the bench. Tell your grandkids about your Super Bowl rings, and how you watched good players earn them for you.

WR's dont make QB's better. It is the other way around. It isnt Garcon, Wayne, and Collie who make Manning a great QB.

No matter what Green does here he will never be great if he doesn't have a great QB. Just ask the Lions when they had their WR Orgy. They could of been great but they had a moron at QB.

Ask Fitzgerald that right now.

Kurt Warner was godawful in New York. He was great in St.L with Holt, Bruce, and Faulk. He was great in Arizona with Fitz, Boldin, and Breaston.

Hell, Rich Gannon couldn't beat out Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac in KC, but went to 4 straight Pro Bowls and won an MVP because of the talent around him in Oakland.

They were both serviceable at best, but when surrounded with talent, they were elite. The Bengals are attempting to build that kind of team because Peyton Manning isn't available.

Give me a serviceable QB an surround him with a good running game and dangerous weapons. It's better than reaching for a risky QB at #4.

You need to go no further than when we draft Andre Smith in regard to how easy is it to not produce.

That was a character issue, not a position issue. The red flags were extremely obvious there, and the Bengals (being the Bengals) ignored them and paid the price.

I'm talking about that whole draft class of OT's not just Smith. They all have underperformed. My point is, it happens.

IF the Bengals did their homework on Green like I think they did,

Thanks, I just laugh-snorted coffee onto my monitor. The Bengals? Draft homework? C'mon.

So you are saying the Bengals didn't bother to look into a player they were going to take at #4 overall ??

While I question there scouting department, I can't even come up with something that unbelievable.

Who else would have fit value AND need that was available ??

So, about that trade offer...

So, about naming who else was available that would have presented value AND need at #4 ??

Don't get me wrong here DC, I would have rather they went with a guy like Quinn, but he didn't present the value and would have been a reach. He ended up going 14th I think. Fairley the same. There is a reason for that. Had the Bengals in fact done that, there would be an equal amount of people bitching about how we took an undervalued player and are willing t ogive him all that money. So who should they have picked at #4 ?? Gabbert ??

Clarification:

Perhaps now we know why Livings was playing ahead of him. Attitude?

Get these sheet-birds off my team!

For what it's worth, looking at who would have been there at #27, had they taken the trade and the two that stand out are Carimi and Smith.

While they are both good players, I wouldn't have been overwhelmed by either. Carimi would have been my choice though.

That is all speculation though, so it's kind of pointless to play the what if game.

For those mad about them passing the deal, going by that pick valuation chart, Atl didn't offer enough.

The valuation chart isn't worth much, and in this case, isn't applicable at all

We need more than one playmaker

That trade would have allowed us to pick up those additional playmakers - this year, and next

Agreed. First of all I'm not all that impressed with Green as a #4 over-all and fail to see where his highlight reel matches up with Moss, Fitzgerald etc.., or even Warrick. Just MO. So it isn't like he's a shoe-in to match the value of his draft spot by any means (how many WR's actually do in the top 5, ever? the failure rate is huge)

The Bengals' would've gotten an extra 2nd and 4th rounder this year, and an extra 1st and 4th next year

They need at least 2 LB's, another solid CB, two safeties, a G, C and OT if they want to really compete, and that's not even considering no Palmer and needing a QB very possibly.

They could've parlayed those picks into a franchise QB if you consider Palmer's trade value as well, or done any # of things.

This is not a team one player away (as Thornton pointed out).

This IS the Mike Brown Bengals - whose drafting the last 5 years has sucked, I'd prefer playing the odds/#'s game with multiple picks. It works for New England - but yet people here question that? Good grief.

In any case, not the end of the world for our Bingals, but this is a weak top 5 draft and would've been an ideal year to trade-down and try to get a couple extra players in positions of need this year and next, and they'd probably save some $. They need to rebuild their foundation of talent then add playmakers in the next 2 years - but yet they always do this with WR's.

The funniest thing about the Mathis tweets is how quickly Bengal fans responded by blast-tweeting Mathis for his own crappy play, prompting Mathis to respond in the same tired way that all underachieving Bengal players respond. He blamed his crappy play on Mikey.

It's obviously a bulls**t excuse, but I'm not crazy enough to think it won't work.

Well played, sir.

This IS the Mike Brown Bengals - whose drafting the last 5 years has sucked, I'd prefer playing the odds/#'s game with multiple picks. It works for New England - but yet people here question that? Good grief.

Dunno 2006 Was Okay 2007-2009 I've been happy with overall...Besides Bigdre being abit of a let down(thats on mike brown though)...I'd say bigger issue is Scouting because Players taken in recent years have been solid selections...

1 21 Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma

2 54 Carlos Dunlap DE Florida

3 84 Jordan Shipley WR Texas

3 96 Brandon Ghee DB Wake Forest

4 120 Geno Atkins DT Georgia

4 131 Roddrick Muckelroy LB Texas

5 152 Otis Hudson G Eastern Illinois

6 191 Dezmon Briscoe WR Kansas

7 228 Reggie Stephens C Iowa State

The Only picks I didn't like last year were the Oline...Thanks Paul Alexander keep up the great work!

1 6 Andre Smith T Alabama

2 38 Rey Maualuga LB USC

3 70 Michael Johnson DE Georgia Tech

3 98 Chase Coffman TE Missouri

4 106 Jonathan Luigs C Arkansas

5 142 Kevin Huber P Cincinnati

6 179 Morgan Trent DB Michigan

6 209 Bernard Scott RB Abilene Christian

7 215 Fui Vakapuna RB Brigham Young

7 249 Clinton McDonald DT Memphis

7 252 Freddie Brown WR Utah

Theres Disappoint there but I'd say bigger problem was once again with coaching overall picks wearn't too bad.

5 Solid players six if we kick one inside maybe?....(Reyrey,MJ,Huber,Trent & Scott)

1 9 Keith Rivers OLB USC

2 46 Jerome Simpson WR Coastal Carolina

3 77 Pat Sims DT Auburn

3 97 Andre Caldwell WR Florida

4 112 Anthony Collins T Kansas

5 145 Jason Shirley DT Fresno State

6 177 Corey Lynch FS Appalachian State

6 207 Matt Sherry TE Villanova

7 244 Angelo Craig DE Cincinnati

7 246 Mario Urrutia WR Louisville

Pretty bad Overall but Eh... Five Still on the team >_<

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL

1 18 Leon Hall CB Michigan

2 49 Kenny Irons RB Auburn

4 114 Marvin White SAF Texas Christian

5 151 Jeff Rowe QB Nevada-Reno

6 187 Matt Toeaina DT Oregon

7 230 Dan Santucci G Notre Dame

7 253 Chinedum Ndukwe DB Notre Dame

Okay Still pretty bad but hey 2 players remain on team freakish injury screwed another.

SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL

1 24 Johnathan Joseph CB South Carolina

2 55 Andrew Whitworth T Louisiana State

3 91 Frostee Rucker DE USC

4 123 Domata Peko DT Michigan State

5 157 A.J. Nicholson LB Florida State

6 193 Reggie McNeal WR Texas A&M

7 209 Ethan Kilmer DB Penn State

7 231 Bennie Brazell WR Louisiana State

3 Key Players 1 depth guy.....

Okay things have been pretty crappy the past five years but overall for 2 going on three I'm happy with the draft selections so far..

I am solid on this pick.

The QB position is really the ? mark on Thursday, so when Gabbert was there I thought they might pop for him. Getting Green is smarter tough, as Chad and TO are goners, and with Simpson, Caldwell and Shipley as the core WR's, getting Green is a very good pick.

I would have been happy with Peterson, Fairley or Quinn, since the defense has real room to improve in many areas.

All said and done, this was a no-brainer.

From the "who do you want to believe" perspective, Thomas Dimitroff of the Falcons denied having a concrete offer on the table with the Bengals and said they had talked but were, "quite far off" in their talks. I included the blurb from PFT with the video clip.

/>http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/falcons-tried-to-climb-to-no-2-overall-pick/