1st Round: AJ Green, WR, Georgia

ArmyBengal

You simply can't make that one player bigger than the good of the organization and I feel that is exactly what they did.

It's what they always do. It's why they let Chad destroy the team ethos in the locker room. It's why they kissed Carson's ass so much he now thinks he's John Elway and can decide where and when he plays. It's why every disgruntled vet feels free to vent in the press and malign the organization that pays them millions - they know there wil be no repurcussions.

Mike Brown believes superstars make your football team, time and again he proves it with refusals to trade down and coddling of jackass players. No superstar guards or centers in the league, so we have weak guards and centers. Superstar receivers? We got 'em!

This

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You simply can't make that one player bigger than the good of the organization and I feel that is exactly what they did.

It's what they always do. It's why they let Chad destroy the team ethos in the locker room. It's why they kissed Carson's ass so much he now thinks he's John Elway and can decide where and when he plays. It's why every disgruntled vet feels free to vent in the press and malign the organization that pays them millions - they know there wil be no repurcussions.

Mike Brown believes superstars make your football team, time and again he proves it with refusals to trade down and coddling of jackass players. No superstar guards or centers in the league, so we have weak guards and centers. Superstar receivers? We got 'em!

This

I agree with all of that, but in knowing this, what is a fan suppose to do ??

You can either except it and hope for the best or quit the team.

I once wrote in depth about never being able to switch which team I root for, but I'm not 100% on my position anymore.

I'm not leaving, just saying I can certainly understand why people would. The sh*t is beyond old.

For those made about them passing the deal, going by that pick valuation chart, Atl didn't offer enough.

Just sayin'.

That only includes this years pick comparisons, right? That doesn't include the 1st and 4th for 2012 Atlanta was offering.

My understanding from what I heard was that it was an undervalued package, even taking into account the future picks.

For those made about them passing the deal, going by that pick valuation chart, Atl didn't offer enough.

Just sayin'.

That only includes this years pick comparisons, right? That doesn't include the 1st and 4th for 2012 Atlanta was offering.

My understanding from what I heard was that it was an undervalued package, even taking into account the future picks.

Time will tell. I hope the guy is a stud that tears up the AFCN for years to come. He has the potential.

Just sayin'.

Time will tell. I hope the guy is a stud that tears up the AFCN for years to come. He has the potential.

Me too. But I can't yell at the Bengals for not taking what was apparently an undervalued package to trade down. If Green is what he might be, passing up on him to not get full tradedown value would have been dicey.

I think people are making way too much out of turning down this trade offer.

First of all, I was all for trading down to the 10-15 range... but trading down 22 slots is a big dropoff.

Secondly, the Falcons went 13-3 last year. They are damn good, and the 1st round pick next year is likely to be very late as well.

Those of you who are pissed have made a clear statement that you prefer quantity over quality. An argument that comes from a belief that the Bengals are in shambles.

However, I'm of the opinion that if they return to their '09 roots, they aren't all that far away... and trading with the Falcons wouldn't help them replace Palmer or Chad, two of their biggest needs.

Cincy still has a good run blocking O-Line, got rid of the O-coordinator that refused to utilize it, and now has a stable full of young, talented weapons that will make it hard for defenses to put 8 in the box.

Call me stupid... but an average QB should find enough success to dramatically improve the Bengals. Especially with that schedule. I'm quite pleased with the AJ Green pick. (But I do hope they go defense in the 2nd round, although I doubt they will).

For those mad about them passing the deal, going by that pick valuation chart, Atl didn't offer enough.

Just sayin'.

I'd say Atlanta's offer was outstanding under the circumstances. In fact, prior to the draft I would have argued that all of the teams in the Top5 were trying to trade out, and the team that would emerge as the winner wouldn't be a team that tried to trade the pick for equal value, but rather...the one who willingly agreed to dump the pick for less. And that's why I was encouraged by the early rumors on draft day that claimed the Bengals were willing to do just that. Specifically, toss out the trade chart and willingly take less for the pick.

Point blank, Atlanta didn't offer enough to get Green, a player they preferred, but they did offer enough to still get what they wanted and needed. Granted, the Bengals decision to turn down the trade package leaves them with a single superior player, but no extra picks...which I believe they could have used to far greater impact than the Browns will get from the very same trade package. For just one example, Cleveland now has to put to the test the draft strategy that so many Bengal fans wanted. Specifically, selecting a DT in the 1st in the belief that a suitable WR will be available later. So let's see what they end up. Let's see if they can actually find that dime-a-dozen #1 WR that so many of you claim can be had so easily in later rounds.

Mo Egger is reporting on his blog the trade package to the Bengals included 19 picks between this year and next. I can't get on his blog page (blocked). If any can, or wants to, please post the details.

/>http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html

Just glanced at it, don't see that anywhere. That makes no sense, no way did Atlanta offer their entire drafts for this year and next. That's nonsensical.

For those mad about them passing the deal, going by that pick valuation chart, Atl didn't offer enough.

Just sayin'.

I'd say Atlanta's offer was outstanding under the circumstances. In fact, prior to the draft I would have argued that all of the teams in the Top5 were trying to trade out, and the team that would emerge as the winner wouldn't be a team that tried to trade the pick for equal value, but rather...the one who willingly agreed to dump the pick for less. And that's why I was encouraged by the early rumors on draft day that claimed the Bengals were willing to do just that. Specifically, toss out the trade chart and willingly take less for the pick.

Point blank, Atlanta didn't offer enough to get Green, a player they preferred, but they did offer enough to still get what they wanted and needed. Granted, the Bengals decision to turn down the trade package leaves them with a single superior player, but no extra picks...which I believe they could have used to far greater impact than the Browns will get from the very same trade package. For just one example, Cleveland now has to put to the test the draft strategy that so many Bengal fans wanted. Specifically, selecting a DT in the 1st in the belief that a suitable WR will be available later. So let's see what they end up. Let's see if they can actually find that dime-a-dozen #1 WR that so many of you claim can be had so easily in later rounds.

I am not a trade chart militant, was just passing along what the trade chart militants said, namely, that the Atl offer was a pinch light.

As for me, I am not generally a "trade down" guy, in part, because the Bengals sometimes struggle to identify the right players making extra picks not necessarily useful. I suppose "safety in numbers" or some such, but, I consider Green elite enough a prospect that it made no sense to pinwheel away from him that far down for a package that might have been light.

Mo Egger is reporting on his blog the trade package to the Bengals included 19 picks between this year and next. I can't get on his blog page (blocked). If any can, or wants to, please post the details.

That's not quite what Mo's saying. The trade offer didn't include 19 picks, but accepting it would have given the Bengals a total of 19 picks between the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

/>http://www.espn1530.com/pages/mo.html

Just glanced at it, don't see that anywhere. That makes no sense, no way did Atlanta offer their entire drafts for this year and next. That's nonsensical.

Well, that just adds to the fact I think Mo Egger is a tongue in cheek babbling moron. I can't tell if he's serious or kidding half the time. "19 picks might have been his way of saying 'alot'".

You need to go no further than when we draft Andre Smith in regard to how easy is it to not produce.

That was a character issue, not a position issue. The red flags were extremely obvious there, and the Bengals (being the Bengals) ignored them and paid the price.

There were a bunch of other OT's in the draft and none of them have lived up to the lofty draft position and money paid.

Look at it over decades - you'll have a hard time finding many highly-picked LTs who flame out in the top 10 picks. It's very, very rare. WR, on the other hand - very common. Again, look at the starting LT in the league, and you'll find almost exclusively first rounders. Not true of WR, they can be had later in the draft. That speaks to the fact that 1) LTs are safer picks, and 2) you have other means of getting WR.

There is no safe pick in my opinion and percentages don't take into account WHERE those players go or the reasons why they didn't produce.

A guy like Charles Rodgers busting didn't have anything to do with his skill set, but his drug concerns.

It's easy to nitpick individuals but the trend is huge. You can look back 20 years and, over time, what you get is WRs bombing with regularity. And, again - nobody in their right mind would trade a franchise LT for a franchise WR, yet when you draft a WR in that slot that's effectively what you're doing.

IF the Bengals did their homework on Green like I think they did,

Thanks, I just laugh-snorted coffee onto my monitor. The Bengals? Draft homework? C'mon.

Who else would have fit value AND need that was available ??

So, about that trade offer...

That's not quite what Mo's saying. The trade offer didn't include 19 picks, but accepting it would have given the Bengals a total of 19 picks between the 2011 and 2012 drafts.

Well WTF? F'ing drama queen. Cincinnati sports radio is terrible. Mo, Lance. I hate them all.

DC...pretty sure that there was enough info on Green and his projection from non-Bengals scouts and observers that we don't need to worry about whether the Bengals "did their homework" or not. Kid can clearly play, whatever else befalls him after putting on stripes.

WR's dont make QB's better. It is the other way around. It isnt Garcon, Wayne, and Collie who make Manning a great QB.

No matter what Green does here he will never be great if he doesn't have a great QB. Just ask the Lions when they had their WR Orgy. They could of been great but they had a moron at QB.

Ask Fitzgerald that right now.

Well, we are the Bastard Sons of Paul Brown, right?

Two quick points. First, according to his close friend, Gil Brandt, Mike Brown has always believed the two most important positions on any football team are QB and WR. Second, Mike Brown has repeatedly admitted that his team often knowingly reaches for players in the 1st round precisely because top free agents won't come to Cincy, thereby dictating the Bengals focus on the draft when looking for it's own star players.

WR's dont make QB's better. It is the other way around. It isnt Garcon, Wayne, and Collie who make Manning a great QB.

No matter what Green does here he will never be great if he doesn't have a great QB. Just ask the Lions when they had their WR Orgy. They could of been great but they had a moron at QB.

Ask Fitzgerald that right now.

There are no "great" QB's available. Not until Luck next year.

Mo Egger is reporting on his blog the trade package to the Bengals included 19 picks between this year and next.

That's crazy and almost certainly isn't true, but I doubt it will matter over the long haul. In fact, I'd say this type of unfounded bullshid is a perfect example of how things become legend in River City.

"The current bid is 19 draft picks. Do I hear 20? Who amongst you will bid 20? THERE! I now have 20. Who will bid 21? There! I now have 21. Who will bid 22?"

The valuation chart isn't worth much, and in this case, isn't applicable at all

We need more than one playmaker

That trade would have allowed us to pick up those additional playmakers - this year, and next

Mo Egger is reporting on his blog the trade package to the Bengals included 19 picks between this year and next.

That's crazy and almost certainly isn't true, but I doubt it will matter over the long haul. In fact, I'd say this type of unfounded bullshid is a perfect example of how things become legend in River City.

"The current bid is 19 draft picks. Do I hear 20? Who amongst you will bid 20? THERE! I now have 20. Who will bid 21? There! I now have 21. Who will bid 22?"

Yeah, check back a few posts back. That was his way of saying "an extra 5 picks". If I would have done my own quick math, I would've seen the BS in that statement. Nothing to see here folks! Move along...