Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

Anyone who thinks Palmer was the problem wasn't paying attention the last three weeks of the season.

I don't feel Palmer is the problem and loved what he did in 2009 people are so stat happy but thwe guy had so many comeback winning drives.Thats why I will support him with his new team even though I hate 49ers still happy to see Justin Smith do well and Madieu Williams...I'm just hoping his stance could spark something in our terrible owners head.

blame Carson for wanting out, but if he follows through and retires, the Bengals are screwed.

Bengals are screwed if he returns we are Employing everyone from a coaching staff that has had two four win seasons in the past 3 years.We have a Owner who no matter how much he has failed won't admit how he runs the team is wrong.Bengals were Screwed the day Paul Brown died...

I'll go on record as saying that if Palmer leaves, it will be a disaster for the Bengals.

Anyone who thinks Palmer was the problem wasn't paying attention the last three weeks of the season.

Palmer just didn't do better sans TO & 85 -- it was practically a worst-to-first turnaround.

Over the first 13 weeks, Palmer's completion percentage was about 60.5% and the team's passing YPA were 5.95. If those had been Carson's numbers for all 16 games he would have been around 20th in completion percentage and ahead of only Jimmy Claussen in YPA.

The last three games? 69.7% completion rate and a YPA of 8.8. It those has been full-season numbers, Palmer would have ranked No. 1 in those categories.

Oh, and his TD-INT ratio went from 1.2 TDs to 1 pick to 2.5 TDs to 1 pick.

Three lucky games? Maybe, but the leap is so stark and sudden it's hard to reach any other conclusion than that the problem with the O wasn't Carson, or even Brat, it was TO & Chad.

Now we have a situation where Carson might be gone and Brat and Chad might be back. I can't blame Carson for wanting out, but if he follows through and retires, the Bengals are screwed.

Well you never know he might stay, im still saying there is going to a meeting at some point between everyone. If Mike decides to shake things up there maybe be a chance he returns. Heard rumors awhile back that Zampese might end up taking over the OC postion, and i wonder if that happens if Palmer would be willing to stay. Should be fun days coming up.

I could see him staying and being productive of his concerns have been adequately addressed. Then perhaps an exit strategy of drafting and grooming his replacement could be arranged. MB traded Boomer to the Jets so he could play close to home and I could see the same for Palmer in a year or two. Again, it's all contingent upon satisfactory changes being made so he remains with the team in 2011.

Hoosier, of course it will be a disaster if Carson makes good on this. I am stunned at the take that some decent posters have on this, and that they persist on blaming Palmer as much as they do for what has gone wrong with this team.

Hoosier, of course it will be a disaster if Carson makes good on this. I am stunned at the take that some decent posters have on this, and that they persist on blaming Palmer as much as they do for what has gone wrong with this team.

The disaster is already here.

Palmer is a good quarterback and could help this team next year IF he wanted to be here. He has stated he does not. Why would we want the team to field a QB that does not want to be here? Why would we want a QB that is tentative and just waiting for the other shoe to drop?

I like Palmer and I have supported him all year. This newest situation has nothing to do with his play. It's his want-to. Let the man go. Let him revive his career. Get some draft compensation and move on and let him enjoy the rest of his career. Or let him retire.

The fans have almost adapted the Mike Brown mindset to an extent. This team is and always has been built around specific players. Not a system. Players. Not a healthy way of doing business.

Wouldn't it be better to build around a system? A philosophy? You don't want to be here? Ok. We'll keep on going and replace you. Marvin did that at the beginning with Dillon and Spikes. Now we're back to holding players here that don't want to play here. That's BAD for the team's chemistry.

Let's all be adults. No hard feelings. Thanks for your time here. I hope you find success elsewhere, but we have a job to do. That's the way it should be.

I don't blame Carson for what happened here last season, but can also acknowledge he did have issues. But lets be honest, there have been some very good QB's in this league that have had down seasons, so lets not act like this is something that has never happened before. Why not try to help what the problem is ?? I still think there is something with Carson's mechanics that doesn't seem quite right.

Anyway, I agree with letting him go if he doesn't want to be here and getting something in return. I made mention before that Cutler garnered a 1st, 3rd, and some players. Sure he was 25 and Carson is 31, but do you honestly think there aren't teams that would be willing to part with their 1st roundered and a comp pick in the next draft based on what Carson does ??

Then there's where we are drafting. The Jets moved up 7 spots to draft Sanchez. They gave up their 1st and 2nd in that draft, as well as three additional players to make that happen. Does anyone think one of the teams drafting behind us (Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee) wouldn't give up a few picks to do the same ??

I'm simply saying that as much as I think Carson can still be a good QB for the Bengals, to blow off the possibility of trading him without thinking about what the organization could do with those types of picks is ridiculous. However, if they were to keep Carson for another season and do like they did with Boomer, they could put themselves in a position to get one of the QB's coming out next year. Luck, Barkley, and Pryor will all be in next year's draft.

I'm still in the mindset that from a Mike Brown standpoint of wanting to sell tickets, getting the 49er's #7 for Carson and then drafting AJ Green and Cam Newton would do just that. It would be exciting even though I personally don't think it would be the greatest option. I'm just pissed off with the bury your head in the sand concept here...

From Boomer Esiason...

http://www.footballn...lmer-situation/

"I'm sure he's frustrated. Maybe he looks at the division and sees two strong teams and figures the Bengals are going to be behind the 8-ball for the next five, six years.

Esiason has never counseled Palmer but believes he can shed some light on the similar situation he encountered. “I saw it differently. I had just lost my offensive coordinator (Coslet). We weren’t active in Plan B free agency and became good at losing players. And as much as Sam and I got into it sometimes, I loved what he allowed me to do in the no-huddle. I didn’t want to learn a new offense again there, although David (Shula) kept the same one. The Jets were going out into free agency and making a play and the Bengals were going through transition, and it seems like they’ve been doing that since l left.”

For his final remarks, “There’s still a lot of time left before the draft. Both sides are going to have to figure it out.”

Oh yeah, if they are trying to actually convince Carson to stay, how about making some moves in FA that don't consist of diva WR's ??

How about if the Pats don't tag Mankins, teaming him up on the left side with Whit ?? I know, too much money and will never happen.

Just saying is all...

Go get Mankins and draft highest rated G/C (like Pouncey) at the top of the 2nd.

Oh yeah, if they are trying to actually convince Carson to stay, how about making some moves in FA that don't consist of diva WR's ??

How about if the Pats don't tag Mankins, teaming him up on the left side with Whit ?? I know, too much money and will never happen.

Just saying is all...

Go get Mankins and draft highest rated G/C (like Pouncey) at the top of the 2nd.

I still think there is a chance that he may stay if Brown makes the changes. If Marvin is his problem then i dont see this happening at all. According to what Reedy was saying Marvin and Katie have been saying to get another OC in there, but Mike believes that winning will bring the fans back. Like i said i saw somewhere that Zampese could be promoted, not sure if it will happen or not, but guess that is always an option. Either way they will be going back to the ground game this year, and thats a fact. Bengalsinsder also said that sometime this week or next everyone involved with this is going to get toghter and discuss what it will take to get Palmer to stay.....so i guess if you believe that sight then stay tune.

Palmer is a good quarterback and could help this team next year IF he wanted to be here. He has stated he does not. Why would we want the team to field a QB that does not want to be here? Why would we want a QB that is tentative and just waiting for the other shoe to drop?

I like Palmer and I have supported him all year. This newest situation has nothing to do with his play. It's his want-to. Let the man go. Let him revive his career. Get some draft compensation and move on and let him enjoy the rest of his career. Or let him retire.

The fans have almost adapted the Mike Brown mindset to an extent. This team is and always has been built around specific players. Not a system. Players. Not a healthy way of doing business.

Wouldn't it be better to build around a system? A philosophy? You don't want to be here? Ok. We'll keep on going and replace you. Marvin did that at the beginning with Dillon and Spikes. Now we're back to holding players here that don't want to play here. That's BAD for the team's chemistry.

Let's all be adults. No hard feelings. Thanks for your time here. I hope you find success elsewhere, but we have a job to do. That's the way it should be.

I guess I hold out hope he will change his mind, hokie. Because, if not, then, yes, the disaster is already here.

I don't blame Carson for what happened here last season, but can also acknowledge he did have issues. But lets be honest, there have been some very good QB's in this league that have had down seasons, so lets not act like this is something that has never happened before. Why not try to help what the problem is ?? I still think there is something with Carson's mechanics that doesn't seem quite right.

Anyway, I agree with letting him go if he doesn't want to be here and getting something in return. I made mention before that Cutler garnered a 1st, 3rd, and some players. Sure he was 25 and Carson is 31, but do you honestly think there aren't teams that would be willing to part with their 1st roundered and a comp pick in the next draft based on what Carson does ??

Then there's where we are drafting. The Jets moved up 7 spots to draft Sanchez. They gave up their 1st and 2nd in that draft, as well as three additional players to make that happen. Does anyone think one of the teams drafting behind us (Arizona, San Fran, Tennessee) wouldn't give up a few picks to do the same ??

I'm simply saying that as much as I think Carson can still be a good QB for the Bengals, to blow off the possibility of trading him without thinking about what the organization could do with those types of picks is ridiculous. However, if they were to keep Carson for another season and do like they did with Boomer, they could put themselves in a position to get one of the QB's coming out next year. Luck, Barkley, and Pryor will all be in next year's draft.

I'm still in the mindset that from a Mike Brown standpoint of wanting to sell tickets, getting the 49er's #7 for Carson and then drafting AJ Green and Cam Newton would do just that. It would be exciting even though I personally don't think it would be the greatest option. I'm just pissed off with the bury your head in the sand concept here...

Army, I can't fathom a scenario where Brown deals him. Giving in simply isn't Brown's style, and I think he would view dealing Carson as setting a precedent.

I guess I hold out hope he will change his mind, hokie. Because, if not, then, yes, the disaster is already here.

I do as well. However, if the teams best and most respected player is threatening retirement, how much damage has already been done? How do we think his psyche is? Probably beyond repair. I don't know, maybe Mikey gives in to his stipulations. Then again, how likely is he to do that? I just don't see it.

Convince Palmer to stay by firing Bratkowski and dumping Chad. <_<

I think you have to...don't you? Honestly, I don't see what the downside is. If you're worried about continuity, promote Zampese or hire a new HC with the understanding that he's got to work within the existing playbook. In a tweet yesterday Reedy suggested it's more about Bob than Chad but also suggested there may be more players/coaches on Carson's hit list. But I think if they want to win him back they have to give him something...

Convince Palmer to stay by firing Bratkowski and dumping Chad. <_<

I think you have to...don't you? Honestly, I don't see what the downside is. If you're worried about continuity, promote Zampese or hire a new HC with the understanding that he's got to work within the existing playbook. In a tweet yesterday Reedy suggested it's more about Bob than Chad but also suggested there may be more players/coaches on Carson's hit list. But I think if they want to win him back they have to give him something...

Absolutely. Meeting the demands of the disgruntled player/coach is certainly not something Mike Brown is known for though. He gave Corey Dillon his wish I guess.

My mind will be utterly boggled though if Carson shows any serious signs of following through with his threat and the Bengals still favor keeping the very people that the entire fanbase wants to be rid of.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of getting rid of Carson. I've been supportive of him since he got here and I still feel the same way. What I don't get is, how anyone thinks it would be better if Carson just retired. If we are going to be without his services, wouldn't it be better to do so with having another top 10 pick this year and a comp pick in next years draft ?? If the answer to that is "no", than I must be completely clueless to what is going on here.

I could say I'm coming to a crossroad with this team because i'm so angry with how stupid they appear to function, but when push comes to shove, I will always root for the Bengals. It really does suck, but will admit if Mike Brown moved the team to Los Angeles, I wouldn't really care.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of getting rid of Carson. I've been supportive of him since he got here and I still feel the same way. What I don't get is, how anyone thinks it would be better if Carson just retired. If we are going to be without his services, wouldn't it be better to do so with having another top 10 pick this year and a comp pick in next years draft ?? If the answer to that is "no", than I must be completely clueless to what is going on here.

I could say I'm coming to a crossroad with this team because i'm so angry with how stupid they appear to function, but when push comes to shove, I will always root for the Bengals. It really does suck, but will admit if Mike Brown moved the team to Los Angeles, I wouldn't really care.

Draft picks would be preferable to retirement obviously. However, why would we want a QB coming back that doesn't want to play here? That makes no sense to me. If we're trying to change the chemistry and attitude on this team, it should be done now. Turn the page. At 4-12 and the QB wanting to leave, what is there to lose?

I support Palmer and do think he's a solid QB. My stance has nothing to do with his play but more with his "want" to be in Cincinnati.

Draft picks would be preferable to retirement obviously. However, why would we want a QB coming back that doesn't want to play here? That makes no sense to me.

Nor do I either. I never want to see him in a Bengals uniform again. IMHO me it's time for the Bengals to move on at QB.

Well, at least Carson isn't the only pissed off QB in the AFCN.

Ha Ha! Stabby was royally torqued after they lost the playoff game, mouthing off about how they can't keep putting "my defense" in tough spots with turnovers in their own end. He got his HC fired last time he went off. I feel Zorn was just the sacrificial lamb for their middle linebacker, who apparently is also a part-time GM.

Draft picks would be preferable to retirement obviously. However, why would we want a QB coming back that doesn't want to play here? That makes no sense to me. If we're trying to change the chemistry and attitude on this team, it should be done now. Turn the page. At 4-12 and the QB wanting to leave, what is there to lose?

I support Palmer and do think he's a solid QB. My stance has nothing to do with his play but more with his "want" to be in Cincinnati.

My point is, this is all in Mike Brown's control. I'm not really getting at having a QB who doesn't want to be here. I'm getting at there is one of two choices. One nets us picks, the other doesn't. That's if you really think Carson will in fact retire. If he comes back then that is another story all around.

Well, at least Carson isn't the only pissed off QB in the AFCN.

Ha Ha! Stabby was royally torqued after they lost the playoff game, mouthing off about how they can't keep putting "my defense" in tough spots with turnovers in their own end. He got his HC fired last time he went off. I feel Zorn was just the sacrificial lamb for their middle linebacker, who apparently is also a part-time GM.

Dude needs to worry about his team. The better team won as much as it pains me to admit that. Ravens looked old this postseason.

My point is, this is all in Mike Brown's control. I'm not really getting at having a QB who doesn't want to be here. I'm getting at there is one of two choices. One nets us picks, the other doesn't. That's if you really think Carson will in fact retire. If he comes back then that is another story all around.

Agreed. That's why this situation is so interesting (in a disturbing way). The obvious decision would be to take the draft picks. In Mike's convoluted mind nothing is rational.

The bengals realized they put the wrong people around Carson this year, and because of that Carson lost his leadership in the locker room. So they wanna surround Carson with the right people this year so that Carson once again becomes the leader he once was. LOL so they actully admit that TO was a problem this year, and with TO and Chad on the same team it became to much there for those two became the leader and stole Carsons thunder.

Sounds like the bengals will be meeting with Carsons agent this week to discuss what it will take to make Carson happy