Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

Could this be like deja vu all over again? Boomer made a similar request after the resignation/firing of Sam Wyche in 1991. Boomer played one more year while the team selected David Klingler in the '92 draft. Boomer was traded to the Jets after the season.

http://www.bengals.c...87-b9e839420dd2

I dont want a QB who dosnt want to play here, or who would not give 100%. Just trade him already, and get whatever draft picks you can, its time to start over :angry:

True, but to me that's not the root cause. There is obviously something dysfunctional going on and now the latest franchise QB is begging out. At that to the list that includes Spikes, Pickens and Dillon.

I'd really like to know what Carson's grievances are.

Of course but everything is a big secret so we will never know

It's very possible that his issues are too big to be repaired. He may just be seeking a fresh start regardless of what the Bengals do or don't do.

Of course Mikey continues to ask what might be "under Carson's craw." He is simply oblivious. More than likely Carson knows this and doesn't expect and may not be asking for any specific changes.

One NFL general manager said Tuesday the Bengals can't be a hurry to trade Palmer if they don't have an experienced quarterback "in the pipeline," which they don't. He also said he thought Palmer could net a first-round pick from a team that is "playoff ready."

"I don't think his skills have declined. I think he's got everything you want," The GM said. "But for whatever reason, I don't think he's ever put it all together and from what I can tell, they've tried to surround him with good players."

it's going to be painful listening to talk of Mike Brown turning down a 1st round pick.

From CBS Sports....

http://www.cbssports...s/post/14593359

Jan. 24, 2011 12:40 p.m. - When asked by CBSSports.com about the trade talk concerning QB Carson Palmer, coach Marvin Lewis pushed away the recorder and note pad in Mobile, Ala., at the Senior Bowl and said: "I'm not here to talk about Carson."

well, he's not.....He's there to scout players

Give us the 49er's first rounder and a conditional if Carson takes them to the playoffs, which he will.

Answering the other question that was floated. I wouldn't have any issue with Carson coming back after the comments made by his agent. I guess that has to do with what you believe his issues are and how he handles it. He wants to affect change in the organization and I don't think anyone would argue that point.

If he doesn't come back, he is still affecting change. I like Mike Brown having this headache.

Mort reported this morning on Mike and Mike that Carson has $30-33 mill in the bank and that his wife is not too keen on him returning to the NFL. I do think he looked disinterested last year. So knowing all that, do we want a half ass QB here next year and how badly does this hurt his value? What other team would want their #1 guy to be one pout away from walking away?

Mike Brown has a big problem here and it's all of his creation

Give us the 49er's first rounder and a conditional if Carson takes them to the playoffs, which he will.

Done.

If any one player deserves to have a trade request considered, it's Carson. The fact that Mike Brown is refusing to even consider it illustrates what a complete and total prick Mike is.

I see this playing out as follows: Mike goes into his shell. Carson retires and we get nothing in return when a high pick could have been had.

Done.

If any one player deserves to have a trade request considered, it's Carson. The fact that Mike Brown is refusing to even consider it illustrates what a complete and total prick Mike is.

I see this playing out as follows: Mike goes into his shell. Carson retires and we get nothing in return when a high pick could have been had.

I can see it ending that way too. We're getting a better picture of Mike Brown's bizzare mindset in this whole situation. The principles he abides by drive every move and are unwaverable. There are definate beliefs and morals that he will not comprimise to expend effort to win.

Did it come from Paul Brown? Is his loyalty to Brat and his tenured coaching staff there because his father was let go by Art Modell? Either way, it is just really really strange. He would definately let Palmer walk and get nothing in return to meet one of his ideals. No doubt.

Mort reported this morning on Mike and Mike that Carson has $30-33 mill in the bank

Thanks for the note. That's a bit more than I was guesstimating but not by a lot (I was figuring somewhere in the $20-30 million range). So even if all he does is stick it in savings at 2% a year it still throws off $600k annually in interest.

I agree COB, that seems like an all-too-possible scenario. :(

Let's hope Carson's not driven by money. Any star that's driven by money will fizzle out. By the time you're Carson's age you've got to be driven by more than money.

Let's hope Carson's not driven by money. Any star that's driven by money will fizzle out. By the time you're Carson's age you've got to be driven by more than money.

I don't think Carson is driven by money at all. If he was he would have just zipped his lips and gone on to cash another $50 million worth of checks from Mike. I'm just noting that him retiring is far from "impractical," as Mike would have us believe.

Based on what's been reported I don't get the impression that Carson really wants to quit playing in the NFL, but it appears that his wife wouldn't mind and that he himself is fed up with the ongoing circus in Cincy. If Mike doesn't bend (and he never does) I think it's very possible that Palmer just says f**k it and retires.

Done.

I can see it ending that way too. We're getting a better picture of Mike Brown's bizzare mindset in this whole situation. The principles he abides by drive every move and are unwaverable. There are definate beliefs and morals that he will not comprimise to expend effort to win.

Did it come from Paul Brown? Is his loyalty to Brat and his tenured coaching staff there because his father was let go by Art Modell? Either way, it is just really really strange. He would definately let Palmer walk and get nothing in return to meet one of his ideals. No doubt.

He often mentions the pain that his father and family endured after being released from his duties as coach of the Browns. He says he understands that there are families involved as well. So I will give him some props for having a seemingly compassionate side. But on the flip-side he hired Brat to replace arguably one of the franchise's top two or three all-time players in Ken Anderson as OC and eventually fired him when Marvin took over in 2003.

Somehow. I believe that Marvin, Carson, Chad and Brat will all be linked together because of the investment made in Brat's offense. Chad and TJ basically ran the same offense for Dennis Erickson at Oregon State and Carson has been "trained" in this offense since he has been a Bengal. So in Mike's mind it would counterproductive to change OC and system at this point in Carson's career, especially in light of the possible work stoppage. That possibility is what I believe he is clinging to for next season. Unfortunately I don't think they planned on Carson wanting out. But I can see a scenario where he cleans house after 2011 when things are more settled.

Somehow. I believe that Marvin, Carson, Chad and Brat will all be linked together because of the investment made in Brat's offense. Chad and TJ basically ran the same offense for Dennis Erickson at Oregon State and Carson has been "trained" in this offense since he has been a Bengal. So in Mike's mind it would counterproductive to change OC and system at this point in Carson's career, especially in light of the possible work stoppage. That possibility is what I believe he is clinging to for next season. Unfortunately I don't think they planned on Carson wanting out. But I can see a scenario where he cleans house after 2011 when things are more settled.

I think you are right about how Mike was thinking & I can see a housecleaning in 2012, too. But it looks like we're screwed for 2011.

Josh passes along a transcript of some of Adam Schefter's comments on Mike & Mike this morning:

"Mike Brown, who runs the Bengals and makes the decisions for that organization, had a chance three years ago to trade Chad Ochocinco for two first round draft picks to the Washington Redskins. And he told the Washington Redskins, don't even waste your time calling me, I will not trade him. Now you look at that right now and say, you could have gotten two first round picks for Chad Ochocinco, soon to be Chad Johnson, are you kidding me? You got to go make that deal. He wouldn't even listen to it. Wouldn't even entertain the idea of it.

"And now, he's saying the same thing with Carson Palmer. So what's going to happen is, Carson Palmer wants out of there. And going to be up to Carson Palmer and his agent Dave Dunn, to apply as much pressure as they can on maybe the most stubborn executive in all of football. When Andy Reid says he's not trading Donovan McNabb, things change. When Josh McDaniels said he's not trading Jay Cutler, things change. When Mike Brown says he's not trading Carson Palmer, he means it.

"And this will be the biggest challenge of Carson Palmer and Dave Dunn's career to figure out a way to get him out of Cincinnati. There will be no shortage of teams that want him. Pete Carroll coached him in college. Arizona needs a quarterback. San Francisco is where Carson Palmer's wife's from and they need a quarterback. You could look at any number of the NFC West teams and then throw in the Raiders with Hue Jackson who worked with Carson Palmer in Cincinnati. That's not the issue, finding a landing spot.

"The issue is getting Mike Brown to deal him and all I can say on that one is, I'm not going to say it can't happen, but good luck on that one."

Yes, Palmer would easily bring a 1st and a 3rd. Palmer is 31. That is prime age for QB years, and we are just one year removed from what, five 4th quarter comebacks? He's far from washed up... and I think Arizona, Seattle, and SF know it.

The question is, what are you going to get with the draft picks you get? Blaine Gabbert? Cam Newton? Ryan Mallett? Jake Locker? Criticize Palmer all you want... but any of those choices are big steps backwards.

Does Palmer for Gabbert and a conditional 3rd really sound that appealing? MB isn't popular... but he's right about one thing. The only hopes for this team to be successful in the reasonably near future rely on Palmer... assuming he can be convinced not to retire.

With the impending lockout, practically speaking, how does it behoove any party to trade him this year? The Bengals will be left without a QB and no time for a new one to learn our system. Carson will have very little time to learn another team's system. Brett Farve aside, you just don't plug a starting QB in a new system under those conditions and make it work.

Knowing this, cooler heads ought to prevail and get together to have a practical discussion of where we stand. The Bengals say "we understand your concerns and will work to accomplish the change you want to see. In the meantime let's agree to give it our all to win in 2011 and if things don't pan out, we will quietly work to move you in a manner that benefits the team and gives you the fresh start you desire.

Bottomline is: this is not the year to demand a trade. If MB had any PR sense he'd mention this to Reedy or Hobson. Breaking it to the public that Carson is asking the Bengals to do something that's impossible according to present NFL rules would really take the wind out of their sails

The question is, what are you going to get with the draft picks you get? Blaine Gabbert? Cam Newton? Ryan Mallett? Jake Locker? Criticize Palmer all you want... but any of those choices are big steps backwards.

Does Palmer for Gabbert and a conditional 3rd really sound that appealing? MB isn't popular... but he's right about one thing. The only hopes for this team to be successful in the reasonably near future rely on Palmer... assuming he can be convinced not to retire.

Please understand: you will not get any picks for this year's draft! The trade deadline has already passed and there won't be a new one until the next CBA is signed. If they sign a new CBA before the draft, this all changes. But for the time being everyone is going forward as if there will not be a new CBA anytime soon

On the issue of the CBA, while there's a widespread belief that it will be long and ugly (and obviously the Bengals' FO is in that camp), there are some who think it will be short and sweet. Jason Whitlock wrote a column yesterday predicting that the players would last all of about a day before caving in. Florio chimed in, noting that this belief is widespread in "NFL circles."

I can't see Palmer and Dunn pursuing the course they are unless they believe that the CBA issue will be resolved fairly quickly. So we'll see who's right, Palmer or Mikey.

Mort reported this morning on Mike and Mike that Carson has $30-33 mill in the bank and that his wife is not too keen on him returning to the NFL. I do think he looked disinterested last year. So knowing all that, do we want a half ass QB here next year and how badly does this hurt his value? What other team would want their #1 guy to be one pout away from walking away?

Mike Brown has a big problem here and it's all of his creation

I was reading on bengals.com on the senior bowl topic, and it said that Zampese was rejuvinated at the young players because of the way they wanted to put in extra time practing watching film ect, i have to wonder if Palmer didnt put in the time he used too this year??? I mean when i saw the team this year, it looked like alot of guys were not into it like they were in the past!

Once again im going to say Management is horrible the worst, but how do we not know that Palmer has just lost a step in his game? Even when Carson had time in the pocket he was throwing into triple coverage, or throwing the ball high, or not on the same page with the WR. Has Carson lost a step in his game, is he really that same player that we drafted??

Same thing with Brat, we all agree Brat sucks and he must go, but at some point the players have to play and execute the plays that are called, even if the plays suck. Also isnt it Marvins job to suggest different game plans, so why didnt Marvin say to Brat that this is just not working, its time to call different plays??? So we can sit here and kill the coaches and management, but we cant blame them for the stupid things happening on the field, at some point the players have to play.

Carson is not the same as he once was

Chad is getting older and cant get away from double teams, and does not have the same work ethic as he once did

Never replaced the o-line they once had

This team needs alot of work, so i say trade Carson for draft picks, its time to start rebuilding this team, and it might as well be now

Someone used the term "circus" recently. Looks like that might have been the truth last year.

http://www.nationalf...-teammates.html

Causing frustration to quarterback Carson Palmer and a group of hard-working teammates, aggravating coaches and triggering consternation within the organization, a "circus atmosphere" made a difficult situation even worse during a dreadful season for the Cincinnati Bengals. One reason Palmer has requested a trade is due to his displeasure with the atmosphere that enveloped the team last season as the team struggled despite the presence of veteran wide receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

According to sources, several players, including Palmer, want a more serious approach to football without constant controversies and distractions.

Someone used the term "circus" recently. Looks like that might have been the truth last year.

http://www.nationalf...-teammates.html

Causing frustration to quarterback Carson Palmer and a group of hard-working teammates, aggravating coaches and triggering consternation within the organization, a "circus atmosphere" made a difficult situation even worse during a dreadful season for the Cincinnati Bengals. One reason Palmer has requested a trade is due to his displeasure with the atmosphere that enveloped the team last season as the team struggled despite the presence of veteran wide receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

According to sources, several players, including Palmer, want a more serious approach to football without constant controversies and distractions.

Really and i think alot of us fans would like the same thing please........no more drama and more winning football

If Money was Carsons drive I'm sure he wouldn't have problem with Cinci where he's payed as top 10 player...vs if he leaves where he'll be making less money more then likely.

On the issue of the CBA, while there's a widespread belief that it will be long and ugly (and obviously the Bengals' FO is in that camp), there are some who think it will be short and sweet. Jason Whitlock wrote a column yesterday predicting that the players would last all of about a day before caving in. Florio chimed in, noting that this belief is widespread in "NFL circles."

I can't see Palmer and Dunn pursuing the course they are unless they believe that the CBA issue will be resolved fairly quickly. So we'll see who's right, Palmer or Mikey.

Well it makes sense players would cave early,If they lose a season they'll lose more money then they'll gain from a "better" deal.

For the following season it is best course of action,But what chances does Carson give you if he retires? Atleast it would help in a long term picture...

Well it makes sense players would cave early,If they lose a season they'll lose more money then they'll gain from a "better" deal.

I don't see many, if any, games getting cancelled to this impasse but I also see it going up to the "11th hour"

I'm thinking Palmer's value should resemble that of Drew Bledsoe in 2002. He garnered a #1 pick from the Buff Bills. What do you folks think he's worth?

A high first or a mid first and a second..

Maybe more. He instantly makes average teams playoff competitors. He is a good QB. had a bad year this year but had times when he was on point.

Has at least 4 more years in him. At least.

He pisses me off - Yes. A lot this year. But he is better than:

Cutler

Orton

Smith

Hasselbeck

Arizona QB

Henne

Stafford

Flacco (Yes Flacco)

Sanchez

McCoy

Manning (Kidding)