The Rodgers Trade is off

Kazkal

I like your's and Hoosier's theory better now, regardless of where it appeared first. B)

I'm not interested in kudos and I doubt very much that Hoosier feels different. I just want to know what happened and why, and the only thing that might make me different around here is my refusal to immediately assume that all fault lies with the Bengals.

All things considered, it sounds to me like they were this close >< to making a very solid trade but couldn't do so because of the lasting impact of last seasons storm of injuries.

If true I'm left with nobody to blame, except perhaps a god that I don't believe in.

looks skyward/shakes fist

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. League office conveniently voids Bengals/Lions deal on a technicality.

5. Cleveland gets Rogers.

If Godell and by extension the league office, hates the bungles so much because Godell is a big Steelers fan, why would they then allow another division rival in Cleveland to land him? <_<

I've never bought into the whole GOD-el/Steelers thing. However, I do believe that Roger takes great pride in shafting Mikey whenever he can. Brown voted against him becoming commish to begin with, voted against the new CBA that was his first big achievement (and worse, went out and publicly p*ssed and moaned about it over and over again) and finally drafted a bunch of boneheads that gave the league a public relations black eye.

Thus you have laughable situations like Jared Allen getting a DUI suspension cut down, while at the same time Roger tries to suspend Rucker for a game for something he did in college. And you get stuff like this. Does anyone believe that if it had been Bob Kraft or Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder in the same boat, that the league wouldn't have found a way to fudge things? Clearly the Bengals' front office thought they had a solution. But no...screwed again. :angry:

I'm not interested in kudos and I doubt very much that Hoosier feels different. I just want to know what happened and why, and the only thing that might make me different around here is my refusal to immediately assume that all fault lies with the Bengals.

Nor was I really trying to dish them out, it's just that everyone seems to back away from a theory for fear it might prove wrong the moment some other poster here embraces it.

My point was mearly that it seemed reasonable given what little we truly know and that I didn't really care where it came from. ;)

If the whole problem was us not having cap space last year....then its hard for me place the blame on the Bengals FO, just seems like a crappy situation.

You can blame them for not realizing they didn't have the cap space to offer before they offered it. <_<

If the whole problem was us not having cap space last year....then its hard for me place the blame on the Bengals FO, just seems like a crappy situation.

You can blame them for not realizing they didn't have the cap space to offer before they offered it. <_<

It's like going to the grocery store and filling a shopping cart full of stuff then getting to the cashier and realizing you forgot your wallet? Man I hate when that happens! ^_^

Friday afternoon, the Lions and Bengals worked a deal that would have sent Rogers to Cincinnati. But the NFL league office rescinded the trade, and just about the time the Browns were agreeing to terms with Derek Anderson and finalizing the paperwork for Williams, the Lions called back to say Rogers was still available.

From browns.com still nothing from the lions main site.

PS,Cap thing sounds like bullcrap still,the season is over but the bengals are expected to pay for rodgers if trade went through?

Just sounds like a excuse to me.

I'm reasonably certain they did know about the cap issue. That explains why, while the Lions confirmed the deal, the Bengals didn't: they wanted to wait and make sure their solution -- probably something along the lines of converting the roster bonus to a signing bonus that would hit the 2008 cap -- was approved.

Friday afternoon, the Lions and Bengals worked a deal that would have sent Rogers to Cincinnati. But the NFL league office rescinded the trade, and just about the time the Browns were agreeing to terms with Derek Anderson and finalizing the paperwork for Williams, the Lions called back to say Rogers was still available.

From browns.com still nothing from the lions main site.

Well that sounds kinda shady...but I guess to goes to prove the point that the trade to the bengals couldn't happen from a figures standpoint. On the one hand it makes us look stupid, but at least it shows we were trying to make a move.

I'm reasonably certain they did know about the cap issue. That explains why, while the Lions confirmed the deal, the Bengals didn't: they wanted to wait and make sure their solution -- probably something along the lines of converting the roster bonus to a signing bonus that would hit the 2008 cap -- was approved.

For the Bengals to try and sneak something through the NFL offices it would be like trying to sneak an elephant through a daisy field....

OK, well that brings us to a bit of a side issue. The dotcom did report it. Now, is the dotcom an "official" exstension of the team itself? And if not, what exactly is it's realtionship to the team? I'm not being, what did membengal call me earlier? oh yeah, a "consummate dickhead" here, I'm really trying to understand whether the dotcom is officially connected to the team or not.

If they are, then we did kinda' announce it, if it isn't, then what is it connected to? if anything. <_<

I stick by that term as long as you continue to put "bungles" in your posts. Since you didn't in the one above, I can confirm that it IS indeed, offically connected to the team (and the NFL through nfl.com).

Well, it's a shame if the Browns do end up with Williams and Rogers. Not only is their front line strengthened immensely but the teams above us in the draft who might be looking at a DT will still be looking at DT in the draft.

The Cleveland Steamers.

Alot of people on this board thought that Clevelands success last year was a fluke, but you look at the #1 picks they had, getting a good coach and front office, grab key guys in FA like an ESteinbach last year along with JLewis and you bring in a guy like SRogers this year, we may be looking up at them in the division again and will it be a fluke this time...I just think with the moves they have made that we may not be the better team like alot of us think just because we got the better known names...

OK, well that brings us to a bit of a side issue. The dotcom did report it. Now, is the dotcom an "official" exstension of the team itself? And if not, what exactly is it's realtionship to the team? I'm not being, what did membengal call me earlier? oh yeah, a "consummate dickhead" here, I'm really trying to understand whether the dotcom is officially connected to the team or not.

If they are, then we did kinda' announce it, if it isn't, then what is it connected to? if anything. <_<

It's the team's site, but Hobs gets a fair amount of discretion. None of his stories had the Bengals officially confirming the move. Mostly he was reporting other peoples' reporting.

If it was inability to wrest the roster bonus from last year's cap, I don't blame anyone. In that case it was just the Bengals front office trying to get over on the league. But they got caught, or couldn't convince someone to give them a waiver.

I'm not overly concerned about the Browns improved defensive line. Rogers could continue his downward slide. Even if he doesn't, we've got Palmer, they have Anderson, thus I still like our chances.

And we've still got time, and candidates, to improve our own defensive line.

Well, it's a shame if the Browns do end up with Williams and Rogers. Not only is their front line strengthened immensely but the teams above us in the draft who might be looking at a DT will still be looking at DT in the draft.

Perhaps not. The Raiders just threw a remarkable amount of money at a young DT, and the Jets not only traded for Kris Jenkins, but quickly tore up his old contract and gave him a new 5-year deal featuring 20 million in guaranteed money. (Exactly the type of move I hoped the Bengals DIDN'T make after trading for Rogers.)

Just saying...

It's the team's site, but Hobs gets a fair amount of discretion. None of his stories had the Bengals officially confirming the move. Mostly he was reporting other peoples' reporting.

Put me in charge and Hobs would be looking for another job this morning....if for no other reason than the fact that an inaccurate story wasn't updated/corrected for a ridiculous number of hours.

Put me in charge and Hobs would be looking for another job this morning....if for no other reason than the fact that an inaccurate story wasn't updated/corrected for a ridiculous number of hours.

One of the regulars over at bengasjungle swapped emails with Hobs last night, said he was scrambling to get more info & had no idea what was going on, either.

And frankly, we still don't. The best guess is this retroactive bonus bit, but even that has a big hole: how does a roster bonus set to be paid on the 2nd day of the 2008 league year count as a likely to be earned incentive in 2007?

Maybe Hobs ought to have updated things faster, but that's hard to do without any solid info.

After finally reading through all these posts this morning, I had to go mix a serious amount of Bourbon in my coffee. Nothing seems clear as to why a player that first signs with Cincinnati is now signed in Cleveland. All I can say is we sure as hell now better use our first pick on a defensive lineman. Possibly try to trade players/picks to move up and get a premier DL.

:o The Bengals get a premier DL in a draft? :rolleyes: That Coffee Royale is really kicking in right now!

Perhaps not. The Raiders just threw a remarkable amount of money at a young DT, and the Jets not only traded for Kris Jenkins, but quickly tore up his old contract and gave him a new 5-year deal featuring 20 million in guaranteed money. (Exactly the type of move I hoped the Bengals DIDN'T make after trading for Rogers.)

Just saying...

Duh! Completely forgot about Jenkins to the Jets. That's not so bad after all. With the Raiders having a decent run stopping defense anyway and dumping a boat load into a DT already (f**king nutso money really) then maybe ATL is the only other team in need of a DT in a meaningful way. Hopefully Al is just drooling over the though he could draft DMAC.