The Rodgers Trade is off

Kazkal

This reminds me of the trade the Reds made for Vida Blue back in 1977(?). They offered the A's 1B Dave Revering and $400,000 but the league said the Reds would have to give up more players and that paying cash like that for guys would hurt the game. Alot has changed in 30 years!

This is really disappointing. I haven't taken the time to plow through all of the discussion but it really sucks. They seemed to be trying to do something positive and it seems to have gone down the crapper.

Can shed light on a cesspool. How else can the Bengals do it? Sue him in a local Hamilton county court, get a temporary injunction that prohibits the Lions/Browns deal from going through (which will almost certainly be granted from a local judge) and make Goodell and his lawyers come explain this.

I am with Hoosier, sounds like Detroit realized they could get a better deal AFTER agreeing to the Bengals deal, and asked the league to find a way to nix the Bengals deal. If so, THAT is absolutely beyond fair play, and collusive. And worth sueing over.

It does sound like tampering of some sort. Maybe the Bengals should be compensated one of Cleveland's picks should they end up getting Rogers.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilarious stuff from our beloved clowns at PBS.

With no due respect, I hope your testicles are shorn off when you fall onto a rusty chainsaw. Seriously, go find a s**tfilled hole and lie in it, you consummate dick.

Come on, everyone on this board is thinking the same thing. The way they do business is like me sending my flipping a/p clerk to negotiate contracts. Other franchises put a lot of resources into making such deals. Mike Brown calls Katie & Lippy into the conference room and tries to pound it out. This may not turn out to be the fault of the FO, but things like this happen when you half-ass your business.

No, NOT everyone is thinking the same thing. NOT everyone immediately assumes that. He does. Apparently you do. And my hope that Shula's testicles be shorn has to do with his response (and apparent glee) over this situation over several threads.

And, yes, I still hope they are shorn.

Stop the sue talk. It's retarded. The good news is that he did have some off the field issues and took alot of plays off. I was excited, but we can only look at the positives. At least Bodden is gone. Now we have to deal with Rogers for the Browns. Unreal

You're retarded. How about that?

And, f**k off. I will talk about what I want to talk about. IF the league office nullified this for reasons that are not entirely legit, what would you have the Bengals do? Keep bending over and accepting the constant ass-f**king from the league? Like they have had to do with the beyond-comprehension second year suspension and continued vindictiveness from the league over Thurman?

Sometimes you sue to make a point. So if they need to do that, they should do that.

Again, f**k off.

I just love the catch all reason on Bengals.com...The NFL nixed the deal due to language issues. Was it written in Pig Latin? Was it written in crayon? I think it was just because it was a good deal for the Bengals, and that alone was a good reason to nix it.

Seriously, Merriman and Harrison get 4 games suspensions for steroids and HGH use which is basically cheating the game...and Odell gets 2 years for being an alcoholic which is a disease that afflicts millions of people across the country? Even in regular jobs people who have alcohol problems are given second chances, yet Odell gets suspended for 2 YEARS?

Sadly this is what all Bengals fans have to look forward to for a long time with Goddell as commish. The Bengals should just fold the organization now and try to bring an NBA team to Cincinnati, because they don't have a chance with the NFL front office.

This reminds me of the trade the Reds made for Vida Blue back in 1977(?). They offered the A's 1B Dave Revering and $400,000 but the league said the Reds would have to give up more players and that paying cash like that for guys would hurt the game. Alot has changed in 30 years!

This is really disappointing. I haven't taken the time to plow through all of the discussion but it really sucks. They seemed to be trying to do something positive and it seems to have gone down the crapper.

Can shed light on a cesspool. How else can the Bengals do it? Sue him in a local Hamilton county court, get a temporary injunction that prohibits the Lions/Browns deal from going through (which will almost certainly be granted from a local judge) and make Goodell and his lawyers come explain this.

I am with Hoosier, sounds like Detroit realized they could get a better deal AFTER agreeing to the Bengals deal, and asked the league to find a way to nix the Bengals deal. If so, THAT is absolutely beyond fair play, and collusive. And worth sueing over.

It does sound like tampering of some sort. Maybe the Bengals should be compensated one of Cleveland's picks should they end up getting Rogers.

I mentioned the Blue thing at some point last night.

"Language issues" my left buttock. Someone conspired to f**k that deal between the Browns and the league.

No, NOT everyone is thinking the same thing. NOT everyone immediately assumes that. He does. Apparently you do. And my hope that Shula's testicles be shorn has to do with his response (and apparent glee) over this situation over several threads.

mem, I didn't read everything and didn't see your post about Blue. That's the first thing that came to mind though.

I have an acquaintance like Shula. Loves the misery. Still can't figure out or get Shula to admit why he still follows the team.

I may be dumb and just don't know it. But he seems to be smarter than most of us so what's that say about him?

mem, I didn't read everything and didn't see your post about Blue. That's the first thing that came to mind though.

I have an acquaintance like Shula. Loves the misery. Still can't figure out or get Shula to admit why he still follows the team.

I may be dumb and just don't know it. But he seems to be smarter than most of us so what's that say about him?

No idea. And I reject the premise that he seems to be smarter than the rest of us. Constantly seeing the worst in everything a team does, regardless of facts, isn't smart. It's trollish behavior.

And, I wasn't chiding you for not seeing my Blue mention from last night, just glad someone else is as old as I am to be able to reference it too.

Potential reasons the league could have nixed the trade:

1. Character reasons

2. Didn't think it was fair

3. Some bulls**t technicality involving the salary cap.

Given that it is the Bengals, I find possibility number highly improbable. As we all know, the Bengals NEVER do anything creative with the cap.

That would leave possibilities one or two.

IF the league office blew it up for one of those reasons? Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. And then for good measure, sue.

Bumping my post from last night.

If the league is claiming it is number three, there had best be a powerpoint explanation that makes it make sense.

If it is 3? I now think the Bengals should sue for that too. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue.

It may be the only way to back Goodell off.

If the bengals wanted to get Pacman Jones when his suspension was up, there's no way the league can step in and say "No" because of character concerns because there's no way to quantify "character concerns". (Definitely not saying it should happen, by the way.) Plus, the other teams who led the league in arrests this year (Jags, Dolphins) have been active in FA and the NFL hasn't nixed any of their deals.

Secondly, if a team is willing to trade it's ENTIRE draft for one unproven college player and the league let's that pass (New Orleans for Ricky Williams), then you should throw out the "It's unfair to trade a ProBowl player for a 3 and a 5" argument.

I agree defender. I was just listing out possible reasons for the league office to have stepped in. I don't accept any of the reasons as being remotely valid, which is why I am offending walzav with my suggestion that the Bengals fire up a lawsuit.

I don't think it had anything to do with comp picks -- they haven't even been given out yet.

What this smells like is that the Bengals and Lions had a deal, then Cleveland came in with an offer Detroit liked better. So they (the Lions and the Browns) ganged up on the league FO to nix the original deal on some trumped-up technicality. The whole "violates the cap" excuse makes no sense at all, except as part of a scramble for an excuse.

Maybe some more plausible explanation will appear tomorrow but right now, from my chair, it looks like the Bengals got hosed.

From what I read, the browns will only give up thier third, so why would Detroit like it better? Isn't our third higher in the round than the browns?

I just saw they gave up Leigh Bodden too... Still, I would not think that is still that much better for Detroit. I hear the Detroit news confirms the deal, but so did the Enquirer for us.... I didn't hear about this until this morning. I slept through the night dreaming of how maybe the front office finally understood something.... Is it too early to have a beer...

Not only is it never too early to have a beer, I would say more than one is in order after last night's debacle! :D

Godell is a dirty little DICK with a hard on for the Bengals!!! I've thought this since the NE cheating he takes away a first if they make the playoffs but yet they still keep the 6th over all ouch that really hurts don't it, then they receive supposedely all the evidence & quickly destroy it .... WTF!!! Then he stuns the Bengals by not reinstating Odell with no reasonable explanation, he could've gave them a heads up, now he nixes this trade because of language sorry I don't buy it . You know what will be next we will not get any comp picks this year. All this startted from the get go even before the character issues I think holds a grudge from the Bengals being one of a couple teams who voted against him becoming the Commish! f**k Godell impeach the dirty little dick!!!!

No way the Bengals were offering a comp pick they didn't have, so stop leaping straight to front office blaming, bengals1.

I suppose this whole mess could somehow be the Bengals' fault, but it sure doesn't look like it to me right now. No new explanations this morning, just the same BS from last night. "Language issues." "Salary cap issues." WTF?

For the FO bashers, consider: just a few short years ago the Bengals traded for Deltha with absolutely no muss or fuss. So the idea they somehow don't know what they are doing seems pretty far-fetched.

I can't speak at all for the validity of this claim, but I'll pass it on regardless. Someone on another board suggested that the "language issue" was that the Bengals 3rd round pick for trade was to be the compensatory pick that they had not yet received. Given such, the league didn't allow it to be used as a trade item. Whether that was a rule already in place or a decision made for this incident I cannot say.

Edit -- ah, didn't see Bengals1's thread.

It's okay, I was working on getting over myself. I failed, they're still the bungles.

But on a more serious note, yes, that's the basics of my theory. The bungles tried to trade a 3rd round pick that was a compensatory pick, one they had not "officially" been granted yet. The league stepped in and nixed the deal because of this.

Now, either the bungles are stoopider (sic) than even I ever imagined or something's rotten in Denmark. If you truly can't trade compensatory picks the kittens ought to know that by now. And if by some cosmic quirk they forgot that little detail, why weren't they allowed to change the pick to their "official" 3rd round pick? Unless somehow, they didn't want to.

Who knows, none of this really makes any sense. But then, what in bungledom ever does......? <_<

No way the Bengals were offering a comp pick they didn't have, so stop leaping straight to front office blaming, bengals1. And I echo '74, everytime you say "Bungles" in here, I discount pretty much everything you have to say. Trollish.

I quoted a segment of an article that was posted on the dotcom. That's what it implied. I didn't make that up.

Look, I'll be the first to admit I'm trying my best to read between the lines here, we all are to one extent or another. If I'm barking up the wrong tree fine, I'll be the first to admit my theory was all wet when and if, we get a full, proper explanation.

Until then, my theory is as good as any other out there.... B)

I do not know how our super-inept management blew this one:

http://www.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...SPT02/803010451

So now, we do not have a nose tackle to go to a 3-4 and the best thing we have done so far is sign Dhani Jones? Great, but that is no addition to a sucky defense. We are weaker coverage wise now (need to keep Deltha around as White and Dukee are not great cover guys) but Adieu to Madieu is really not a problem. The 49er's will be real disappointed in Justin as he is too small to play 3-4 end and uses his hands poorly (notice his crappy sack totals) --- 3-4 ends must have great leg drive and great hand placement --- ain't his forte...........

Honestly, we need so different personnel to make improvements, and so far we ain't got anyone new.........

Also, we would have been much better off to not waste money on Bobbie W as these type guards (below average) are everywhere...

I would have preferred to have signed Steiny and Stacy and trade Levi slow feet and let Willie walk..... 340lbs is more than most feet or legs can maintain for 10 years........ The low sack total last year was for Carson realizing his protection was failing and throwing balls too soon.... so many drives that went nowhere were do to this......

We are the worst team in the AFC North unless the Ravens implode more... but suspect they will bounce back.............

I may have to see if we can get the Colts or Browns here

Okay, here's the rule:

Compensatory picks

In addition to one pick for each team in each round, there are 32 compensatory picks which are spread out over rounds three to seven. The picks are used at the end of each round as needed. Teams are awarded compensatory picks if they lose more free agents than they gain in free agency in the previous season. The placement of the picks is determined by a special formula. Teams are not able to trade their compensatory picks. If all 32 compensatory picks are not needed then the remaining picks are used at the end of draft, and are used in the same order as picks were earned in the first round.

Okay, so let's try combining two theories here. Maybe the "language" in the original trade contract didn't "clarify" to the leagues satisfaction which 3rd round pick the bungles thought they were sending the Lions. The contracts language wasn't clear enough for Godell's people (I rather doubt he reads all the contracts that come through the league office himself) so they nixed the deal by sending it back.

The Lions faced a 1mil salary cap hit if Rogers was listed on their roster at 12:01 Saturday morning, this nixing of the deal occured around 9pm-ish EST leaving the Lions with approximately 3 hours to find another trade partner or pay Rogers the required 1mil. So they took the next decent offer that came down the pike, Clevelands.

How's that look? ^_^

How's that look? ^_^

Makes no sense to me.

The Bengals DO NOT HAVE a 3rd round comp pick. Comp picks have NOT been awarded. And yes, I am 100% sure the Bengals' FO knows that even if they had a comp pick, they can't trade it.

Okay, here's what Curnette's saying about the deal that never was this morning....

Saturday, March 01, 2008

NFL: Rogers trade not our business

This word this morning from the NFL on the Shaun Rogers trade from the Lions to Bengals that didn't happen.

"Clubs discuss trades all the times that are not completed," Greg Aiello, NFL Senior Vice President of Public Relations, said. "This is a club matter and we are not in a position to comment."

Jack Brennan, the Bengals' PR director, was asked again this morning for an explanation. He said he would check with team executives.

Although this still leaves us with little or no details it does seem to imply that the problem, whatever it was, was at the teams level and not at the league level.

This is looking more and more like the bungles front office screwed up, whether it had anything to do with compensatory picks or not. <_<

Although this still leaves us with little or no details it does seem to imply that the problem, whatever it was, was at the teams level and not at the league level.

This is looking more and more like the bungles front office screwed up, whether it had anything to do with compensatory picks or not. <_<

I disagree. It sounds to me like the league FO is changing its story again.

First it was "language issues."

Then it was "salary cap issues."

Now suddenly, excuse No. 3 is: Trade? What trade?

I disagree. It sounds to me like the league FO is changing its story again.

First it was "language issues."

Then it was "salary cap issues."

Now suddenly, excuse No. 3 is: Trade? What trade?

I dunno' Hoosie, you and I usally see eye-to-eye around here but something tells me this has SoP's inept finger prints all over it.

We'll see....... <_<

Well, just catching up on this and man does this wholething sting just a bit.

If it was the NFL nixing the deal due to some BS salary cap or compensatory pick issue, then I'd sue if I had a decent case. As has been discussed, the pats got Mr.Moss for an r4 pick, so the NFL should be hands off for the most part.

If it was the front office at PBS, then heads must roll. I give them credit for making the play for Rogers, despite the unravelling of the deal after it was announced. However, it is clear there is either a void in the understanding of how dealing for FA works or just a level of complacency that should not be tolerated.

No matter which, it is the team and fans who lose. Rogers comes with baggage, and I would be hesitant to have prioritized him as a key target but giving Zimmer a chance to get some players he desires and the latitidue for him to oversee the defense should be encouraged.

All in all, and no matter how much this one "stings the nostrils", the smoke will clear and we will get the story eventually. The front office needs to develop a serious short-term memory and keep thier eye on the ball.

Next...