Week 3: Rams @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

14 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

For some reason I agree with that Hoosier. Well… assuming Burrow plays and isn’t gimping around the whole time. If he doesn’t play, I wasted money to see them get blasted.

Yeah, the calf looks like it's going to be an ongoing issue. If Joe's not going to be right all season, then this year is probably a lost cause already.

I saw Doc argue in his TML newsletter today that they should shut Burrow down for the next three games. Considering the competition, he thinks they could pull out a couple wins with Browning. I guess maybe? But even if so, Burrow's already had weeks upon weeks of rest and his calf still relapsed less than two games in. Not sure a few more weeks would matter.

I never really believed in curses, but man, this franchise...

If his calf is going to be an ongoing issue, the season is not going to end well at all.
They simply can't afford more set backs at this point.  People seemingly miss the fact that this year's 0-2 is different than last year's.
This year, they are also already 0-2 in the AFC North.  The 2023 Ravens are not the 2022 Ravens.  They didn't have Lamar those last two meetings.
If Lamar stays healthy, the Bengals overcoming that 0-2 start is going to be far more challenging then last year.
I think that's why I hate hearing people say, "They did it last year".  I think that's a false sense of security.
It's also not the norm for how things typically shake out for teams that start slow.

• Like 1

Still frustrating to me that these coaches year after year start so slow, it’s like once again they don’t know how to beat 2 high safeties. How about you run the freaking ball more then 13 times a game, your QB needs help so I think I’ll just throw it more. Mixon looking real good running hard think will just use him at the end in the 4th and forget about him in the 3rd. These coaches are getting real annoying to me, year after year it take them so many games to figure out what to do.

Once again how do other teams get there top WR wide open and still get all the catches and yards. The Bengals it takes them all game, even when Burrow had time he checked it down most of the time. I don’t know just frustrating to see so much talent not do crap in these games. Zac your scheming sucks

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

Still frustrating to me that these coaches year after year start so slow, it’s like once again they don’t know how to beat 2 high safeties. How about you run the freaking ball more then 13 times a game, your QB needs help so I think I’ll just throw it more. Mixon looking real good running hard think will just use him at the end in the 4th and forget about him in the 3rd. These coaches are getting real annoying to me, year after year it take them so many games to figure out what to do.

Once again how do other teams get there top WR wide open and still get all the catches and yards. The Bengals it takes them all game, even when Burrow had time he checked it down most of the time. I don’t know just frustrating to see so much talent not do crap in these games. Zac your scheming sucks

I dunno, vol, I can't agree. The Cleveland game, yes, but Sunday's game was a different beast. I really don't care if Burrow throws long or just takes the short stuff the D was giving them yesterday, as long as they move the ball and score, And outside of the first quarter, moving the ball wasn't a problem.

Points otho were. Burrow's red zone pick was absolutely devastating. Driving to the 9 and then settling for 3 proved to be another killer. That's an 11 point swing in what turned out to be a 3-point game.  

I do think the points will come. I feel much better about the offense today than I did last week at this time. (Burrow's calf news excepted, of course.)

32 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

sorry guys, I cant see us winning this one

The O got a bit better, at least in the second half, but the D sucked hard, and are giving away rushing yards like Haloween candy

Its not even close if Chuck Sizzle didnt do his thing

The D had a decent first half after the initial Ravens TD drive. They also had a potentially game-changing turnover stripped by the refs on an iffy hands to the face call. Second half did have a couple big breakdowns. There was the long bomb to Flowers, which sucks but it's going to happen, the other team gets paid to play, too. Much more aggravating was getting the Ravens in 2nd-and-23 and not being able to get off the field. And that play points up something about the rushing yards: about a third came from Lamar. The QB of this week's opponent is...not Lamar. Oh, and their stud RB was out with an ankle injury. We'll see if he plays Monday. So I have some hope for the run D this week.

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 3: Rams @ Bengals Pregame Thread

Breech makes the case for sitting Burrow

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-putting-joe-burrow-on-injured-reserve-might-be-best-way-for-bengals-to-save-their-season/

The most compelling part of the argument is probably this:

The first one is that you keep playing Burrow knowing that he won't be 100%. The problem with this solution is that he's dealing with an injury to his right calf. As a right-handed quarterback, Burrow is pushing off his right leg with almost every single one of his throws. The injury seems to be causing two problems: Burrow is struggling to throw down field and he's a lot less mobile than he's been in the past.

As far his downfield accuracy goes, Burrow is 0 for 12 on passes of 15 or more air yards this season, according to the CBS Sports research team. Basically, he can't hit the big play, which is a huge part of the Bengals offense. 

During the Bengals' 0-2 start last year, Burrow averaged 268.5 passing yards per game. This year, that number is down to 152 yards per game and it's down even though Burrow is facing a lot less pressure. In 2022, he was sacked 13 times through the first two weeks. This year, he's only been sacked three times through two games.

The offensive line is doing its job, Burrow's calf just seems to be preventing him from doing his. If Burrow keeps playing and the offense keeps struggling, then his calf is getting worse for no reason. 

Does Breech realize they are playing different teams this first two weeks vs. last year, right?   I don't get the significance of the passing yards comparison between years.

Joe threw 300+ in 5 quarters, sunny day, vs. an average secondary week 1.    Threw for less than 200 the following week vs. Cowboys.

A rain storm vs. a Defense playing very good and Joe playing less than 4 quarters is the major difference in that stat.  Not sure the difference in average yards can be blamed on the calf. 

Everyone's a doctor, lol.  Using bad comparisons just make it seem  Breech has elected to take the most negative route and looking for ways to support it.   In other words, logic won't get discussion going.

When Joe hurdled a Raven's pass rusher, he looked pretty mobile to me.  He certainly aggravated it at the end, but nobody knows the significance and they won't until Wed.  Just wait and see. 

Zac didn't rule out sitting Joe yesterday.

Burrow's availability for Cincinnati's Week 3 game against the Los Angeles Rams for ESPN's "Monday Night Football" is "hard to say," coach Zac Taylor said Monday. Taylor said Burrow's calf was still sore less than 24 hours after the defeat to the Ravens.

When asked about the possibility of resting Burrow for a week or two to give him time to recover from the injury, Taylor said it depends on the advice of the medical staff.

"First of all we have to hear what the doctors have to say before we start to assume anything," Taylor said. "Once we get that information, we have those [conversations], figure out what we're going to do."

Season isn't over at 0-3.  Not by a long shot.  

1. The percentage stats everyone quotes about 0-2 and 0-3 about making the playoffs are invalid.  Those  are born out of a time that saw "two a day" training camps, 4 preseason games in which starters played into 3rd quarters.   Thus back then if you had all that practice and then opened up with that record.   There's a good chance that you weren't that good.

2. Extra game and playoff spot.

3. The team has a ton of playoff and winning experience, but is actually young.  

Good chance this team catches fire and makes a run.  I would say more than a good chance that happens even if they sit at 0-3.

I know nothing about calf injuries.  Neither do the bengals.  

Taylor once again did not have his team ready to start the nfl season.  Maybe they’ll grow the season to 20 games and Zac’s method, circa 1955, of playing yourself into game play level proficiency will prove to be both a nostalgic and a prescient technique.  Until then, enjoy Arby’s.

22 hours ago, volcom69 said:

I don’t think Zac and Brian are run the ball types of offensive coaches

worrisome because if you can’t make a balanced offense or at least threaten with some runs that aren’t just tricks out of the spread … I don’t know how you keep the defense honest 

the short quick throw or screen and check down game isn’t making up for it 

The run/pass ratio from the Baltimore game is not a good criticism, IMO.   They had 7 drives.  Thanks to a punt return TD, 0 TOs from a Defense, and the Defense failure to get off the field.  

They had 3 "3 and Outs".    

1. Opening drive - holding call forced them to throw.  Failure to get a foot down for a first robbed them of more snaps.

Out of remainder; I think you can argue 2 plays in which maybe a run is better.   

2nd drive - they opened up with Mixon 1 yard.  Then maybe you can feed Mixon again, instead they try to get Chase involved and given that early in the game.  I think that is being picky.  

Then the most legit criticism is the 6th drive and also "3 and out".   They start off Mixon carry of 5.  Then elect to pass, and get sacked.    Most certainly could get Mixon the ball there. 

Every other drive (4) achieved multiple first downs and got into the redzone which led to 1 FG, 2 TD, 1 INT.  

I just don't get play calling criticism from the Ravens game.  Defense simply could not get off the field and given that; the offense had to probably be perfect in redzone to win.     I'm also not going to trade a Punt return TD so they can get more offensive snaps.

Nobody credible has any good information on Burrow's calf.   I'm so sick of the "hot takes" about what to do.    The bengals and Burrow are going to do right by him and the team.     But they'll have to prepare a back up more than normal under these circumstances because Burrow could be out at any moment if he plays.   It just seems that random.

By the way.  They should win a game if a back up QB has to play.   A whole bunch of players not named Burrow are going to want and demand a top market deal soon.   If that's the case you can't sit here and fold up like a cheap suit IF Burrow doesn't play.

If your a $30m a year WR.  Better get your ass open and make something happen.  

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 3: Rams @ Bengals Game Thread