Week 3: Rams @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

There were times last night where the o-line was giving Burrow plenty of time.
Burrow did not look comfortable and seemed to rush things when he didn't have to, but love the toughness.

My hands down favorite play of the game...
Just under 5 minutes left in the 3rd, 1st and 10, Chase Brown is the single back, directly behind Burrow.
Joe snaps the ball and fakes a pitch to Brown with ALL motion going to the left.  Except Chase and Tee.
Joe rolls to his right and finds a wide open Chase for a long gain.

That was a play I don't think anyone saw coming.  It was brilliant to watch unfold from the upper deck.

While I could do without the long plays given up, the defense was really good last night.
No matter the situation, they just held.  Very well done !!

Please run Mixon more.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Random thoughts the morning after...

Burrow is clearly not himself. He's mostly throwing with his arm, not his body, and so the ball sails and floats on him. That said he can and did sling it from time to time, but he's clearly picking his shots to minimize the risk of re-injury.

He's also sticking to the pocket a lot more than usual, so props to the line for keeping him mostly clean last night. Donald got in his licks but that was inevitable. He really abused poor Volson on a couple plays, but Cordell redeemed himself with a great block on the Mixon TD run.

Too many false starts. I know they want to rest Burrow to the max but we cant afford to waste 1-2 series every week getting everyone on the same page.

Higgins needs to scrub his hands with Dawn dishwashing soap before the next game to get the grease off. 

Since we always bitch about coaching, props to Taylor/Callahan for moving Chase around to create opportunities for him. That paid off handsomely. More of that please.

Mixon has not looked this good since his rookie season. He's running through guys, brushing off arm and ankle grabs, hitting his lanes fast and really seems to be seeing the field. I don't know where he's been the last couple years, but welcome back, Joe.

Myles Murphy still has no stats. Yeah, his opportunities are limited but through three games he's been in on 19% of defensive snaps and 22% of ST snaps. Production: zero.

Fortunately we have Trey Hendrickson.

Dax Hill had a great night overall, though IIRC he got burned on one of the long balls. Defense gave up too many big pass plays last night imo. But a combination of luck, bad LA playcalling and good defense got them out of multiple jams. Biggest one might have been that TD pass that was called back for the receiver allegedly being a RCH out of bounds. I still think the Rams got jobbed there, but I'll take it.

Logan Wilson certainly earned his extension money last night.

Was good to hear Reader's name called a couple times. Been a minute.

Hopefully Murphy and other guys will step up to give Trey and Hubbard a breather once in a while to keep them fresh. 

Other then some of those chunk plays and the miscommunication at the end, this is the first game I felt they all played in sync. Something they can build off of for sure.

Burrow still does worry me, the o-line overall did a great job considering Joe does not move much right now. If the calf heals sooner that will make me happy, least he said there was no set back last night. 

Oh and I was very happy coaches move Chase around more keeping defenses guessing where he will be, more of that moving forward would be great, and more running the ball, Mixon really looks like he is ready for a breakout game

In Murphy’s defense, PFF has him at an ok 65.6 grade, not far from Sample (70.7) and Hubbard (71.3). And collectively the D has 9 sacks through three games this year, versus 6 sacks through three last season, so you can argue that the pass rush is better even if Murphy himself hasn’t shown up on the stat sheet yet. We will just have to see how it goes.

45 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I have no idea if he hit 100%, but it seemed like virtually all pressure on Burrow was just Aaron Donald (mostly against Volson).

Yeah apparently Volson had a pass-block efficiency of 0.00 last night.

Imma bet that if AD had gone up against Jonah, his rating would be lower, tho maybe not 0.00 lol.

20 minutes ago, UK Bengal said:

If  he's anything like me he just leaves the board when Volcom posts every 3 mins that the Defence is shit because they allowed a catch or a good run......

Heh. That’s me too tho. The game day threads are just a reaction rollercoaster. One play we’re going to the Super Bowl, the next play we suck and fire everyone. Never take anything there seriously.

On 9/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, ArmyBengal said:

There were times last night where the o-line was giving Burrow plenty of time.
Burrow did not look comfortable and seemed to rush things when he didn't have to, but love the toughness.

My hands down favorite play of the game...
Just under 5 minutes left in the 3rd, 1st and 10, Chase Brown is the single back, directly behind Burrow.
Joe snaps the ball and fakes a pitch to Brown with ALL motion going to the left.  Except Chase and Tee.
Joe rolls to his right and finds a wide open Chase for a long gain.

That was a play I don't think anyone saw coming.  It was brilliant to watch unfold from the upper deck.

While I could do without the long plays given up, the defense was really good last night.
No matter the situation, they just held.  Very well done !!

Please run Mixon more.

Yep that was a great play.  Not a typical call for Zac’s offense 

On 9/26/2023 at 1:55 PM, TJJackson said:

two questions

1. where's mem?

2. does anyone believe this? 

If he’s found his real position , then it all worked out in the end.  Whitworth could have been a HoF left guard but was paid more to be a near top level left tackle.  Left tackle is probably the rarest position in the league to master , right next to top level QB and top level outside corner.