Post-Draft Chatter

HoosierCat

In looking at the perceived needs of the Bengals heading into the draft, many would have pegged CB, TE, OT, RB and pass rusher (whatever position) as the main targets.  

MURPHY- I thought he was going to be gone LONG before 28, so this checks the block with great value regardless of who else was still on the board.
TURNER- Considering some were thinking he would sneak into the bottom of the 1st, this both checks a block and is great value.
BATTLE- They obviously felt like me in regards to not being high on Dewand Jones and had a chance at the other Texas RB, but went safety to provide depth to a unit fielding two new starters with some questions.  I also had him higher than here, so value in my eyes.
JONES- Tyler Boyd is a free agent after this year, along with 572 other players apparently.  You can't bring them all back.  Jones had a stellar season and I'm hoping the word on his return skills bears fruit.  Who else was on the board?  One of my favorites in the UCLA QB, but thought the 4th was a reach.
BROWN- Here's the RB to help out with the loss of Perine. It would have been interesting to see if they took TE Will Mallory had he not been taking right in front of them, but neither here nor there. Great pick considering who else was on the board.
IOSIVAS- This one caught me off guard, as I didn't expect them to double up WR and not sure where exactly he fits outside of depth.  TE Zack Kuntz was still there, but they must not have been high on him I guess. OG Andrew Vorhees was still there too, despite him probably missing 2023 with a knee injury.  Would have been ok though as he could have made an impact in 2024.  This pick still baffles me a little.
ROBBINS-  I have no concerns with this pick at all.  Should immediately be the starting punter week 1.
IVEY- I don't really care for this pick either.  While many will say that it's a 7th rounder, I too look for the development possibility and probability of making the roster at some point.  When looking at all the players that went undrafted, there were more than a handful I would have preferred more than Ivey.  Hope he kills it.

Honestly, when looking at needs covered and value, this appears to be another very solid draft.
They were obviously far more comfortable at OT and TE, than anyone thought heading into it.

In the pointless and way too early exercise of giving drafts a grade, I give this an "A-". 
"B+" at the absolute worst.

28 minutes ago, membengal said:

there are like a bazillion backs still out there as FAs that they could sign. They have plenty of leverage. And mixon would make next to nothing if they cut him in this current market. 

Not being funny in the least here Mem.  Do you feel any of those RB's still available could come in and produce in this system like Mixon?  I am curious about some still out there as well.

I think a big part of my thinking in why there's not a chance in them reducing his salary at this point, is knowing the team's historical approach to contracts.  It's not something they typically do, or at least to my recollection.  I simply felt if they were going to do that, they would have prior to the draft.  Obviously, that was just what I was thinking...

Yes. Mixon was like 48th of 52 qualifying backs in a few of the relevant efficiency stats last year. So, yes, he is super replaceable and if he won’t take a pay cut unlikely to find a good contract anywhere else. 

Bengals could find a Free Agent back to replace Mixon but its not risk free.   I'm not sure I want them playing poker just to effectively add $6m of cap or whatever it is to the $17m they already have. Given the $17 includes earmarks for Burrow, Tee, or any other current Bengal they want to extend.

The risk is as simple as this.   They are knocking on the door of a Superbowl and everyone talks about "window" and stuff.    Perine, Hurst, and Mixon were critical components in counter balancing the cover 2 looks they were getting.

Now Perine is replaced with a rookie.   Hurst is replaced with Irv IR Smith.   Now you want another new face?  OK.

On paper it can be done.   I would put that trio behind how the secondary comes together as the top things to watch at TC.

1. Secondary roles

2. Underneath targets (Irv, Brown, and Mixon or ???)

3. Right Tackle and overall Line being ready to actually start the season

4. Pass rush/D-line rotation

Mixon will be one to watch as we slog through the dead zone between the draft and camp. Right now I see no indication they plan to do anything other than move forward with him as the starting RB under his current deal.

Also on the radar: Burrow, Higgins and Logan Wilson.

We've heard from both Burrow and the team that they have had conversations about an extension. But how extensive those conversations have been is unknown and there's no indication of, well, anything at all. Is a deal close? Far? Somewhere in the middle? Who knows.

Higgins has also said they've talked about a new deal and that he's leaving it up to his agent. Again, the status of that conversation is unknown.

Media reports are that they also want to get a new deal done with Wilson, which I would expect to be in the same ballpark as Pratt's deal. That's probably the easiest to get done but I doubt it's a priority at the moment.

Jaxson Kirkland...  I remember this guy.
Once upon a time, maybe a couple years ago, he was thought to be a future high end draft pick.  I can remember reading about him.  Then there was an injury, he went back to school and his play fell off or something like that.  I may be wrong, but he never really got his feet (pardon the pun) back under him.  I don't know if that was directly attributable to the injuries, but that would be my guess at this point.

I'm glad they got him in here, because I recall the potential being there for this dude.

Maybe the light has finally come on for Carman.  Maybe he saw what potential free agent contracts hold.
Whatever it is, I will root for him to take charge of that Right Tackle spot if Jonah continues his pity party.
To be honest, I will root for anyone to take charge of the Right Tackle spot.  Literally anyone...

TJ, please report to PayJoe Stadium, there's a jersey with your name on it waiting !!!
You got this bro !!  Believe !!

• Haha 1

It's not terrible news, for sure, if Carman has really finally bought into fitness and work on his craft. Better late than never. He still has the requisite size and he's still just 23...

Not holding my breath but will cross some fingers. 

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

It's not terrible news, for sure, if Carman has really finally bought into fitness and work on his craft. Better late than never. He still has the requisite size and he's still just 23...

Not holding my breath but will cross some fingers. 

I had high hopes for Carman when he was drafted. It would be nice to finally see the light come on for him.

I have asthma, so I can't hold my breath. But I can certainly cross my fingers. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Now I remember that story.   Thanks for posting.

No problem.  I just recall reading about him years ago and then nothing.
Like he disappeared like a fart in the wind. Then poof, he's a Bengals UDFA.

Crazy.  Hoping the best for a dude that does in fact have loads of potential.

Great to hear about Carmen.  Can you imagine if he shows up transformed, La’el Collins heals properly and his back problems go away, Orlando Brown is what he is?  We could have a very good line, which means the sky is the limit.

It's theirs to take. They just have to be up to it. Can't drop dumb regular season games to bullshit teams and end up playing on the road in the AFCCG. They can still win in that situation, but if they give themselves the best road then I think they'll handle business.

• Thanks 1

The next step is the schedule.   I fully expect the Bengals to be featured to the max in prime time.   Hopefully can avoid two Thursday night games like the NFL has floated out there.

It would not shock me in the least if KC hosts Bengals opening night.   Just the way the KC fans booed each pick last weekend.  Its a sexy match up.      But if they don't end up in that slot I think end up with some early season key match ups and if that's the case something has to be done to make sure the line isn't sleep walking through those match ups.

The past 2 seasons they've had 4 winnable games in weeks 1 and 2.   Vikings, @Bears, Steeler, @ Cowboys.   The line and Burrow were just so far off what would become that season's norm.  1-3 record.   Just can't start off  that way and expect to be the No. 1 seed.  

The Bengals have had the home Thursday night game for a long time.    Stats for the games within the season (not opening night or Thanksgiving) strongly support the home team.     Of course, placement of the bye.

To get No. 1 seed they'd have to be around 2 or 3 losses.